• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for the best Trench Coat

Classified_

Reaction score
Thirty years? That's very impressive, they actually last that long? Have you had to do any repairs or is it good as new?

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thirty years? That's very impressive, they actually last that long? Have you had to do any repairs or is it good as new?

It's nowhere near as good as new, but no repairs have been required. The inner button is about to fall off, but that's a simple fix. It still looks sharp, and it still does the job it was intended to do.

Classified_

Reaction score
That's good to know that they can actually last that long and still look and feel good, kind of makes me rethink the whole thing.

BTW, what is the difference between the Sandringham and the Kensington? They look pretty identical

velvel87

Reaction score
Allegri makes some really nice trench coats. Very high quality a lot of attention to detail.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For some reason I always ruled out Ralph Lauren, I don't know why really but maybe I should give it a try. About the Burberry, no doubt that the design is the most original but I just feel like they are really overcharging on it. I know it's a trench and not meant to be heavy or bulky but for such a price you also want something that will keep you warm and not just stylish or is that just me?

I've got a Burberry trenchcoat with a button-in, camel-hair liner. It's really warm. So warm, in fact, that I've never needed to use it (although during the day in winter here the temps don't drop below 5 degrees Celsius/40 degree Fahrenheit).

DapperDan91

Reaction score

Here is the trench I just bought and I couldn't be happier it's a trim fit and wraps my body perfectly from the get go.

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm undergoing a search now myself, having recently moved to the UK.

From my research, it seems that the ideal trench should be made of the famous tight-weave gabardine fabric (cotton or wool, but I can't find wool gabardine anywhere). Cotton gabardine, which the Burberry Heritage Trench is made of, is not meant to feel impressive to the touch. It is made to be waterproof. Don't let anyone tell you they're "not impressed with Burberry's quality these days." The brand has branched out to make more... affordable lines. For some, those lines are all they know. But if it says "gabardine" it's the real deal.

Yes, the Prorsum line is cool, but unless you're incredibly wealthy, it's senseless to buy pieces that fashion-forward, as they'll be irrelevant in a few years time. I personally believe the Prorsum line's main purpose is to make the classic stuff that hasn't been changed in a century feel more relevant.

At any rate, the only Burberry item worth buying is the classic Trench (IMO).

If a trench you are evaluating is made from anything but gabardine, know that it will likely either not be waterproof, not breathe or fall apart in less than one human lifetime.

Anyhow, given that I don't like to buy anything twice, I'm probably going to just shell out for the Burberry. I gave a brief thought to Aquascutum, but there was some ugly business a few years back where the brand went bankrupt and got bought out by some other company... Kind of spoils the confidence I need to invest in a major wardrobe staple.

My main question is what would be the best length for a Burberry trench? Do I really get much more protection going to mid-knee as opposed to 2" above? And finally, can I live with wearing that nova chav-check.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My main question is what would be the best length for a Burberry trench? Do I really get much more protection going to mid-knee as opposed to 2" above? And finally, can I live with wearing that nova chav-check.

My trench is knee-length and I prefer the look of the longer coat.

The check's only on the inside and, given that the coat's double-breasted, virtually no-one except yourself will ever notice the lining.

You can also usually get a button-in liner (I've got a button-in camel-hair liner) so that the coat will keep you warm in colder weather. A bonus is that it covers up the Burberry check pattern.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Given that your entire post talks about Burberry and the right, heritage, trench coat, I would recommend that you get one that hits well below the knee. That's the classic look. At the knee is acceptable, I guess, but above the knee is a look to avoid.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads