• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for "all around" Chukka

mmenghe

Reaction score
I'm interested in investing into a good pair o' Chukkas but I'd appreciate some feedback and opinions:
I'm looking for a pair of Chukkas to wear "out". I'm not looking for anything with flash, just something straight forward.

The Red Wing 9017 is visually appealing to me but I haven't any experience with higher quality boots or shoes for that matter. I don't plan on spending over $500 for a pair at this point, but for a first pair I'd like to have some incite as to what you get for $250 as compared to $500+.

The bottom line is durability/longevity. Is Red Wing a company people associate those with? I know I've set a price limit, but I'm very interested in some feedback from first hand experience at any price point.

*Red Wing 9017
http://www.redwingheritage.com/boot...ing-lifestyle-mens-beckman-boot-antique-cigar

Last edited:

BigC222

Reaction score
I haven't owned a pair of Red Wing Chukkas but I have had a pair of the 1907 boots for 3 years: http://www.redwingheritage.com/boot...7-red-wing-lifestyle-mens-moc-toe-boot-copper

The quality of Red WIngs is great and I have worn them lots in different terrain. I live in Canada so I wear these in the winter and they are very durable and have good grip. They will definitely last you a long time and the leather will age nicely.

There's also other companies that make good chukkas. One pair I was looking at was from Herrings: http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-info.php?&shoeid=3468&colourid=1886&brandid=6

Another pair is from Loake: http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-info.php?&brandid=7&shoeid=206

They also have a promo code (TWITTER10) that gives you additional 10% discount for their shoes. I haven't bought from them but other members had good feedback on the brands. Those will definitely be within your budget.

DC Office Hack

Reaction score
I'm not really sure what you're looking for, but a dress chukka like Allen Edmonds Malverns with a dainite sole looks sharp with anything from jeans to wool dress pants. In black or brown calf (not pebbled) you can wear them with a suit, even, although it's not idea. The RWs are strictly casual wear.

VCircuit

Reaction score
I recently went through the same research process and almost bought the Red Wing 9017, but ended up buying the Red Wing 3141 Chukka instead (less dressy, with the white rubber sole instead of leather). They are absolutely gorgeous. Red Wing Heritage definitely has a reputation for quality and longevity.

The 9017 is very, very attractive in person but definitely resembles a dress shoe, and I was advised that the leather sole makes it significantly less durable in wet conditions. So I would consider in what contexts you plan to wear the boots; if they are all-purpose, maybe consider the "normal" heritage chukkas.

If this is your first time buying high-quality boots, I would advise you to go somewhere you can try them on and not buy them online. The sizing was different than my other shoes (a half down from my previous smallest), and a good fit is very important to breaking them in comfortably. Red Wing leather is very tough.

lownslow58

Reaction score
another red wing 3141 owner here, I really like them . I am fortunate to have a red wing store close by and got to see them and try them on , the white sole is not very dressy but for all around wearing they are great, they do take a nice polish and the white kind of lightens and kind of loses some of the brightness before long.

mmenghe

Reaction score
The 9017 is very, very attractive in person but definitely resembles a dress shoe, and I was advised that the leather sole makes it significantly less durable in wet conditions. So I would consider in what contexts you plan to wear the boots; if they are all-purpose, maybe consider the "normal" heritage chukkas.
Thanks for the advice! And on the topic of care for leather soles... Is it really less durable? I'm really intrigued by the leather sole and I like the appearance. Since I won't be wearing them every day I don't require a comfy rubber sole anyway, but if it was a daily thing, I'd surely consider the 3141's!
There's also other companies that make good chukkas. One pair I was looking at was from Herrings: http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-info.php?&shoeid=3468&colourid=1886&brandid=6
These shoes are sharp and I appreciate the post! But they look a little too dress-like. I typically wear a heavier blue selvedge jean so I'm trying to keep the continuity there. I'm currently wearing naf elephant 2 jeans (22oz!). That being said I think (from the brands I've viewed so far) RW's seem to fit the look the best looking a little heavier and such.

I'm not really sure what you're looking for,
I know I wasn't very clear at first. I'm looking for something that looks nice but still casual. Those Allen's are sharp looking but I'm still looking for a little more (just slightly more) boot than shoe. I know I'm being really picky and I don't intend to just keep refining my criteria until someone brings me a boot I love, but I just thought I'd see what came to peoples' minds at a glance.

mmenghe

Reaction score
another red wing 3141 owner here, I really like them . I am fortunate to have a red wing store close by and got to see them and try them on , the white sole is not very dressy but for all around wearing they are great, they do take a nice polish and the white kind of lightens and kind of loses some of the brightness before long.

Good to hear some positive feedback on the brand; Specifically the leather.

mmenghe

Reaction score
I've replied to all your guys' posts but since I'm a new user my post is pending approval. It should show up soon.

BigC222

Reaction score
These shoes are sharp and I appreciate the post! But they look a little too dress-like. I typically wear a heavier blue selvedge jean so I'm trying to keep the continuity there. I'm currently wearing naf elephant 2 jeans (22oz!). That being said I think (from the brands I've viewed so far) RW's seem to fit the look the best looking a little heavier and such.

I know you mentioned looking for something not too flashy, but I just copped these myself at a good price from Mr. Porter: http://www.mrporter.com/product/319144 Great pair of Made in England boots for under $200.

But yeah, Red Wing definitely has good quality and will last even if you put it in some rough terrain as I previously mentioned. Good luck on finding the right pair.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads