• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking For A Set Of Kitchen Knives

spence

Reaction score
Stamped knives are fine if they're kept sharp. It's all relative to how you use and maintain them.

I've got a lot of forged knives as well as vintage French carbon blades. They're all great for the purpose.

But given the requirements set at the top, I wouldn't have any problem with stamped knives and a sharpener to keep them in shape.

-spence

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I took a chance and bought my set of Kershaw Shun knives off of ebay. They're wonderful and I got a great deal on the set, which was BNIB. The guy also threw in the KS bamboo cutting board for an extra 20 bucks. I saved a ton off retail but then again, I had done my homework before purchasing and visited a couple knife stores.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
ALternatively, get one good workhorse - I am partial to Wusthof - and the less important ones like utility and bread can be inexpensive...
Yes. I'd splurge a bit to get a good chef's knife, which you can use for about 80% of your serious cutting anyway. If necessary, compensate by getting cheaper break knives or paring knives or whatever.

breakfasteatre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i picked these up today

233734950.jpg

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bump, any suggestions for a noob?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
both gilt and ruelala have knives sales today

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
saw that, too expensive for my blood. looking to spend under $100 if possible

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
http://www.cookingenthusiast.com/MercerRen/c/1808/c2c/ I would be careful about taking advice from self identified knife geeks. It's much more important that the knife is functional than that it is beautiful damascus so and so, or that it is RC ten million. You are going to use your chef's knife to cut through bones, vegetables, lobster shells etc eventually, so you better have something that is sturdy, sharpens up well and something that is not so expensive or precious that you will cry when it gets beat up. The best cooks I've known have generally had blackened knives worn down from wear, not museum pieces. [/rant]

Bartolo

Reaction score
Mac knives are quite nice and relatively affordable. Instead of a set, start perhaps with just a couple of often-used knives.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bartolo
Mac knives are quite nice and relatively affordable. Instead of a set, start perhaps with just a couple of often-used knives.
+1
i'm a bit of a knife geek, but if i was starting out today with a limited budget, i'd probably go with MAC. they make very good knives at a very good price (that's what i bought my daughter when she set up her first kitchen). If you're REALLY on a budget, look for Forschner/Victoronix/Chicago Cutlery. they'll be fine ... probably way better than what you have right now. for a clothing analogy, if you've been dressing from the gap, no need to go kiton ... banana republic will feel like a step up.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bartolo
Agreed. Our Mac knives got the thumbs-up from www.stoddards.com -- guys who hand-sharpen professionally used knives from chefs all over the country (and world). They sharpened ours.
I also like Mac knives. I recently bought one I couldn't resist. I'm thinking of getting more.
shog[1].gif

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
MAC knives are fine. Especially some of the higher-up stuff, like their carbon Yanagiba knives. And my mighty MAC 8.5 inch chef's knife is an absolute workhorse. I use it on all the hard stuff I don't want to risk my Shun's blade on. I absolutely beat the **** out of that MAC and it just takes it all, like a love-hungry child.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
both gilt and ruelala have knives sales today

Did I miss the one of ruelala? I don't see it.
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads