• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a leather duffel bag for traveling. Any advises?

Tanya

Reaction score
Nee a compact bag for business trips and vacation. Prefer natural or eco-leather material. Classic style black or brown color. Budget - approx. 300$. I want to be able to carry a bag in hand and on the shoulder.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tanya,
I have 2 travel/business bags:
1 - Bison Leather duffel:
https://www.duluthpack.com/collections/duffels/products/bison-leather-sportsmans-duffel

2 - Tom Bihn Aeronaut:
https://www.tombihn.com/products/aeronaut-45?variant=34039227783

Actually, my wife and I each have an Aeronaut. After moving away from the traditional wheeled luggage I got the duffel - it looks great! It's extremely well made. And, it's our weekender bag when we're driving.
But, when going through the airport, the Bihn bag is the go-to. No, it's not leather. BUT, it's exceedingly well designed. It fits even in the small commuter overhead bins, extremely durable construction - a higher grade fabric than just about anything else I've seen. You can buy a shoulder strap, but it has built-in shoulder straps to carry as a backpack. So, when you have to get from one side of airport to another taking out and using those straps (and they're very comfortable) is a God-send. Even when carrying at the side or on single shoulder, the narrow depth is more comfortable against your side than a duffel. And, it's easier to get stuff out because of the design of the opening. The slightly curved opening of the duffel isn't as easy to get stuff out of (especially when you want to rummage for a particular item).

Leather duffels looks great. I love mine and it's why we use it for car trips. But, the Bihn is fantastic and so much more well-functioning when flying. And a lifetime guarantee (just like most fine leather bags).

Functionality aside, I think you'll be hard pressed to get a high quality leather bag for $300. The cheaper ones won't stand up to the abuse they'll get traveling.

Sheepdog149

Reaction score
I found an old leather military bag long time ago, which is what I use to travel. The strap was missing, so I had a leather shop make one from horseshide.
20190404_182219.jpg

London_biker

Reaction score
This one looks really nice! I absolutely love when the leather "ages" and gets softer as it gives the bag more character!

Nader393

Reaction score
I have a bunch of vintage Mulholland Brothers bags from when they were made in San Francisco. I collect them whenever I find one I don't have. My favorite for traveling up to a week at a time is the Shorthorn bag in Lariat leather (veg tanned). Have taken mine hundreds of thousands of miles. On planes, it goes overhead or under the seat in front of me. These are heavy leather bags that were about $1000 new, but usually sell for about $350 on eBay. Gotta be careful it's not the later Chinese made bags that are very close but still not as nice as the older domestic product. Here's a generic pic:

bag.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads