• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a fall suit to wear during a presentation at work

ZachUA

Reaction score
Hi, I have a big presentation at work coming up middle of November and I'd like to look my best. My budget would be in the range of a typical name brand department store suit like Tommy Hilfiger or Calvin Klein equivalent. I don't know a whole bunch of brands so I'm sure there are others you could recommend. Looking for something that is fitted but I plan to take it to a local tailor to have it tightened up if it's not exact off the rack. Can you recommend me some styles and fall color combo's based on the above info? What else can I provide information wise? Thanks in advance!

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If taking to an independent tailor I would plan on $150-200 just for that.
Navy and Charcoal are always versatile suits for various occasions (Navy being a standard 4 season color).

J.Odelius

Reaction score
What johng70 said is solid advice.
I would argue that charcoal is more useful than navy but it depends on where you live I think. Personally I think charcoal is more elegant.
If you want to have something more "fun" I would still stick to regular "fall colours" like different browns or greys but I think you should get a navy/charcoal suit first.
If you want to have a more interesting look you can look into different fabrics like birdseye, flannel, worsted wool, mohair blends etc. but that will of course be harder if you are going with off the rack.

This also depends on where you live, but if you have suit supply store close by I recommend going to it. Usually the staff is pretty knowledgeable and should be able to give you sound advice. It also sounds like they are in your price range.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warning: This is just my opinion.

The standard advice is charcoal or navy. It is good advice. My caveat would be:
Brunette - Navy
Blonde - Charcoal

Sfroide3

Reaction score
Don't go to a department store and buy a 500 usd branded suit. You will pay 150 for the suit and 350 for the brand ...

Sfroide3

Reaction score
Suitsupply online exclusiv starts at $359 USD before tax and alterations. If you have a normal drop: 38 size jacket to 32 size pants for example, it's the best bang for your buck you will find.

ZachUA

Reaction score
Thank you for that recommendation! The closest suit supply is about 2.5 hours from me. I wear a 40 jacket and 32 pants.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would guess w/ a drop 8 you could get into one of their Lazio or Havana fits, maybe a Washington if you are very long torsoed.

Sfroide3

Reaction score
Beeing a drop 8 myself, I find more easy to buy the mix and max suit they offer instead of over-altering the trousers. That also gives me the possibility to buy two pairs of pants for one jacket.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beeing a drop 8 myself, I find more easy to buy the mix and max suit they offer instead of over-altering the trousers. That also gives me the possibility to buy two pairs of pants for one jacket.
Yes that would likely work better. Which jacket cut do you wear w/ them, lazio or washington?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads