• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Looking for a fall suit to wear during a presentation at work

ZachUA

Reaction score
Hi, I have a big presentation at work coming up middle of November and I'd like to look my best. My budget would be in the range of a typical name brand department store suit like Tommy Hilfiger or Calvin Klein equivalent. I don't know a whole bunch of brands so I'm sure there are others you could recommend. Looking for something that is fitted but I plan to take it to a local tailor to have it tightened up if it's not exact off the rack. Can you recommend me some styles and fall color combo's based on the above info? What else can I provide information wise? Thanks in advance!

johng70

Reaction score
If taking to an independent tailor I would plan on $150-200 just for that.
Navy and Charcoal are always versatile suits for various occasions (Navy being a standard 4 season color).

J.Odelius

Reaction score
What johng70 said is solid advice.
I would argue that charcoal is more useful than navy but it depends on where you live I think. Personally I think charcoal is more elegant.
If you want to have something more "fun" I would still stick to regular "fall colours" like different browns or greys but I think you should get a navy/charcoal suit first.
If you want to have a more interesting look you can look into different fabrics like birdseye, flannel, worsted wool, mohair blends etc. but that will of course be harder if you are going with off the rack.

This also depends on where you live, but if you have suit supply store close by I recommend going to it. Usually the staff is pretty knowledgeable and should be able to give you sound advice. It also sounds like they are in your price range.

ValidusLA

Reaction score
Warning: This is just my opinion.

The standard advice is charcoal or navy. It is good advice. My caveat would be:
Brunette - Navy
Blonde - Charcoal

Sfroide3

Reaction score
Don't go to a department store and buy a 500 usd branded suit. You will pay 150 for the suit and 350 for the brand ...

ValidusLA

Reaction score
Do you have a Suitsupply near you? 569+tax or thereabouts

Sfroide3

Reaction score
Suitsupply online exclusiv starts at $359 USD before tax and alterations. If you have a normal drop: 38 size jacket to 32 size pants for example, it's the best bang for your buck you will find.

ZachUA

Reaction score
Thank you for that recommendation! The closest suit supply is about 2.5 hours from me. I wear a 40 jacket and 32 pants.

ValidusLA

Reaction score
I would guess w/ a drop 8 you could get into one of their Lazio or Havana fits, maybe a Washington if you are very long torsoed.

Sfroide3

Reaction score
Beeing a drop 8 myself, I find more easy to buy the mix and max suit they offer instead of over-altering the trousers. That also gives me the possibility to buy two pairs of pants for one jacket.

ValidusLA

Reaction score
Beeing a drop 8 myself, I find more easy to buy the mix and max suit they offer instead of over-altering the trousers. That also gives me the possibility to buy two pairs of pants for one jacket.
Yes that would likely work better. Which jacket cut do you wear w/ them, lazio or washington?

Sfroide3

Reaction score
Yes that would likely work better. Which jacket cut do you wear w/ them, lazio or washington?
I am a big fan of their Havana line. So the jackets are Havanas and pants are Brescias.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.