• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a cologne

bobbyd

Reaction score
Looking for recommendations on a cologne. Here are my requirements:

1. In the $50-$60 or less price range.
2. "Conservative/classic" scent (not too strong)
3. Is not worn by every other guy.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been using some aftershave from L'Occitane that the woman I'm dating loves. She works in cosmetics--for Lauder--and told me the brand is considered very high quality in the industry. I don't think there are many men who wear their aftershaves/colognes, but I'm not sure how expensive it is.

Also, I highly recommend aftershave over cologne. Most men who wear cologne use too much of it, and they don't realize how sensitive women's noses are.

Crow

Reaction score
i like FCUK for men, its not too strong, i dont know anyone else that uses it, and the women LUV it. everytime i wear it, i am guaranteed a compliment about it.

I too agee with sartorian, personally, i like aftersahves better. only thing is, i feel the aftershave scent disappears much quicker than cologne's does. well, at least the after shaves i have used thus far seem to last only about an hour or so.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorian
I've been using some aftershave from L'Occitane that the woman I'm dating loves. She works in cosmetics--for Lauder--and told me the brand is considered very high quality in the industry. I don't think there are many men who wear their aftershaves/colognes, but I'm not sure how expensive it is.

Also, I highly recommend aftershave over cologne. Most men who wear cologne use too much of it, and they don't realize how sensitive women's noses are.

L'Occitane makes quality pleasant smelling products (except for their older formulation shaving cream which smelled great but provided poor lubrication).

Many men use scented aftershaves. The problem is that they last no longer than an hour.

I don't think women's noses are any more sensitive than men's noses. I think women overapply fragnance to a much greater degree than man. Possibly because it is more socially acceptable for a women to leave a trail of fragnance when they walk.

IMHO, around two feet should be the maximum distance your fragnance projects, though it is hard to control these things precisely.

Osprey Guy

Reaction score
I've tried many, many colognes over the years. I always seem to rotate between several at any given time. My current favorites are:

Polo Double Black - Jury's still out, but I think It'll become one of my "regulars"

Givenchy Pi - Great scent! A favorite of mine for the past several years

Bulgari Pour Homme - This seems to generate positive comments from women.

Versace Blue Jeans - Absolutely my all time favorite cologne...I seriously dislike all the other Versace fragrances for men or women-they all smell cheap to me (probably Donatella's fault), except the original Versace Homme which I like very much...but unfortunately it gives me headaches.

Dennis

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Osprey Guy
Bulgari Pour Homme

Which one? Isn't there 2 or 3 different Bulgari Pour Homme's?

jkennett

Reaction score
I'm interested in that Tom Ford scent that smells like coke. Colombian coke, not Coca-Cola. I've actually heard that people have bought it just b/c of the similarities in scent. Not sure if I'd buy it, but interested in seeing what the buzz is all about.

Osprey Guy

Reaction score
Which one? Isn't there 2 or 3 different Bulgari Pour Homme's?
Yes there are several types. But I'm talking about what I refer to as the "original" version... (not to be confused with Bulgari Aqva, Bulgari Black, Bulgari Blv, or Bulgari Extreme).

bulgari-72.jpg

Dennis

sbbbjm

Reaction score
the new tom ford smells like a bunch of other sexy amber scents out there. i'm waiting for the extreme version which people are touting as a whole nother (way better) version. besides i've always found amber type scents a little too attention grabbing if you're trying for something more conservative, classic and not strong

for me clean and classic smelling is . . .

Terre d'Hermes
Givenchy Pour Homme Red Label
Caroline Hererra 212
Polo Romance Silver
Issey Miyake Pour Homme
Bulgari Pour Homme Extreme
Dolce & Gabbana Pour Home

anny of those are nonoffensive and smell pretty good on anyone

Andrew V.

Reaction score
I agree that L'Occitane-en-Provence has some well-formulated scents that are neither too expensive nor too well known. There are both decidely masculine and more unisex options.

And as luck would have it, L'Occitane's Friends & Family weekend is Thurs., Nov. 15th - Sun., Nov. 18th. Enter code FNF25 at usa.locccitane.com for 25% off (shipping is free if your order totals more than $80), or, if you go into a store, the salespeople are usually pretty nice about giving the F&F discount even if you don't have a coupon.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In addition to Chanel PM, which I mentioned above, Guerlain Vetiver is a classic, all around great scent. It isn't too expensive, every 3rd guy won't be wearing it, and it's very classy. Either one might be a good fit...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads