• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

London and RTW

Mike Hayden

Reaction score
I have mostly lingered for a year now.  Learned more about clothes than I ever wanted (or could afford) to know.  I was in London last November and the TM Lewin and Trywitt shirts and ties I wear here in Iowa get me great compliments.  Well, I'm heading back in January and what I would like to know from those that "know", IYHO, who has the best RTW suits in London now?  Also, where are the best places for C&J shoes?
And while they may not be the best, I'll be getting more TM Lewin and Trywitt shirts and ties.

ViroBono

Reaction score
Have a look at Gieves and Hawkes, No 1 Savile Row, for RTW suits - their 'house' range is good quality, and you may get a bargain as you should be there in time for the sales.

Dunhill's, and Crombie on Jermyn Street are worth a look, as is Roderick Charles. Harvie and Hudson have a range of suits, too. Whilst in Jermyn Street, have a look at the other shirt shops - most will have some good sale offers.

Cording's of Piccadilly are worth a look.

Beale and Inman on Bond Street have Brioni and other good brands.

There are any number of shops around town with Italian-sounding names which have permanent closing down sales - avoid these.

For Crockett and Jones shoes, try Gordon Scott of Bond Street.

You should be able to get round all of these in a day, stopping for afternoon tea at Fortnum & Mason or the Ritz before heading up to John Rushton at Wimpole Street, who also has good prices on shoes.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I imagine you can find most things at Harrod's albeit likely at full retail, with the VAT refund and the strong pound, there may still be decent values.

ViroBono

Reaction score
I used to work just around the corner from Harrods, and spent many a lunchtime wandering around. They do indeed have a very wide range, both their own brand and 'shop-in-shop'. You will usually pay full retail - sometimes even more. IMHO their own brand stuff isn't particularly good quality. Much of their suit stock seems angled towards the continental style. However, it's worth visiting for the food halls alone. Harrods' sale is legendary, and if you are early enough there are real bargains.

Selfridges on Oxford Street have a comprehensive range, with the accent on modern designers.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to work just around the corner from Harrods, and spent many a lunchtime wandering around.  They do indeed have a very wide range, both their own brand and 'shop-in-shop'.  You will usually pay full retail  - sometimes even more.  IMHO their own brand stuff isn't particularly good quality.  Much of their suit stock seems angled towards the continental style.  However, it's worth visiting for the food halls alone.  Harrods' sale is legendary, and if you are early enough there are real bargains.

Selfridges on Oxford Street have a comprehensive range, with the accent on modern designers.
When does the h&k sales begin?

Before official dates I guess?

ViroBono

Reaction score
(ViroBono @ 04 Dec. 2004, 12:01) I used to work just around the corner from Harrods, and spent many a lunchtime wandering around. They do indeed have a very wide range, both their own brand and 'shop-in-shop'. You will usually pay full retail - sometimes even more. IMHO their own brand stuff isn't particularly good quality. Much of their suit stock seems angled towards the continental style. However, it's worth visiting for the food halls alone. Harrods' sale is legendary, and if you are early enough there are real bargains. Selfridges on Oxford Street have a comprehensive range, with the accent on modern designers.
When does the h&k sales begin? Before official dates I guess?
Usually January. I will be there later today and will let you know when I get back tomorrow.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Also, where are the best places for C&J shoes?
It depends what you define as "best". In terms of selection and quantity it must the three Crockett & Jones shops (Jermyn Street, Royal Exchange and Burlington Arcade). In terms of price it will be:

A & G Martin-Stone
449 Edgware Road
London W2
020 7723 9727

This is in "Little Venice" and outside the Westend. (Tourists are not likely to find the shop by chance.) Their prices on C & J are maybe 25% below the Westend prices.

MPS

Reaction score
The best English RTW suits are:

Chester Barrie
Cordings
Stanley Ley

shoefan

Reaction score
The good news is that all the shops will have sales on during January. The bad news is that the dollar is getting creamed by the pound, as well as the euro, yen, etc.

The best British-made RTW is Chester Barrie, which apparently also makes the Hield line. These two companies have shops basically next door on Savile Row, or at least did prior to Barrie's recent filing for reorganization. Barrie clothes are also available at Harrods, and used to be available elsewhere. I don't know if either Barrie or Hield has a sale in their shops, but I would think they likely do.

However, many of the better Italian RTW brands are also available in London, including Brioni (Brioni store just off Bond St. and at Beale & Inman on Bond St), Kiton (Harrods, perhaps one of the Herbie Frogg locations), Belvest and D'Avenza (both at some menswear store on Bond St, but I don't recall the name), Isaia (at least it used to be available at a Herbie Frogg store on Bond St, but which is now perhaps the Canali store -- Frogg may now have it elsewhere). Plus, I thing Corneliani has a store on Bond St, as does Zegna and the aforementioned Canali. All should have items on sale in January.

The Gordon Scott store will almost certainly have a bunch of C&J's on sale, including Handgrades, plus some Grenson Masterpiece models. Also, be aware that the C&J stores are quite likely to have some of the same models on sale, and perhaps others. Further, C&J makes many of the shoes now sold at Foster & Sons on Jermyn St, some of which may be on sale as well. Of course, you must stop by the Edward Green shop; you might be able to get a pair for prices comparable to the C&J Handgrade sale prices. If nothing else, try some on to establish your proper size and preferred last for future reference. If you hang around here long enough, you end up wanting some Greens at some point. Also, see if Lobb has a sale at their Jermyn St location.

As mentioned by Ernest, try out the Hilditch & Key shirts, which are superior to the brands you've bought and which are quite a good deal during their semi-annual sales. Perhaps also check out Budd (Piccadilly Arcade) and Turnbull & Asser.

Mike Hayden

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great tips. We will be there Jan. 11-17, will we miss most of sales?

Since getting back I have bought a Hilditch shirt (on e-bay, not the best example I'm sure) and I was not overly impressed. At least not for the price difference. Thanks to this forum Trwyitt shirts can usually be had for 50% off and I find their 140's cotton very comfortable and almost silky.

Nonk

Reaction score
If anyone else has any tips for a shopping trip to London in January (first week hopefully) then keep this thread going, as I am planning such a trip.

Sales information is especially welcome.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My biggest problem with Tyrwhitt stuff is it is generally pretty loose fitting, although apparently there are some slimmer fitting cuts, I heard they still run a bit large.

Reaction score
The sales will still be on, but the best bargains will probably have been snapped up by then.

You might want to consider visiting the Chester Barrie facxtory shop in Crewe. Having heard good things about CB on this forum and on Ask Andy I visited the shop a couple of weeks ago. I got two excellent CB suits (navy-blue pinstripe DB and plain dark grey SB). The tailor in the shop (Steve) even threw in a free silk shirt. One suit was £375, the other £425 - less than half the price I would have paid on Savile Row. Prices might be even better ifthe factory shop reduce prices after Christmas...

The downside will be that you will have to take the best part of a day out of your vacation to go to Crewe and back - and you miss out on some of the 'Savile Row experience'. In any case it would be sensible to phone ahead to see what they've got in your size before making the journey. I'm a 40R and there was plenty of choice. Here are the details:

Cheshire Clothing 9 Marshfield Bank, Crewe, CW2 8UY
Tel: 01270 583161

If you make the same kind of savings I did, you will be able to have dinner at the Savoy Grill the evening you get back and still be comfortably in credit.

Good luck.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great tips.  We will be there Jan. 11-17, will we miss most of sales?

Since getting back I have bought a Hilditch shirt (on e-bay, not the best example I'm sure) and I was not overly impressed.  At least not for the price difference.  Thanks to this forum Trwyitt shirts can usually be had for 50% off and I find their 140's cotton very comfortable and almost silky.
h&k makes 40% off if you buy 6 shirts

ViroBono

Reaction score
Ernest

I was in Jermyn Street yesterday. Hilditch and Key are not saying anything about their January sale (other than that it will start in early January), but at the moment they are offering their shirts at £45, slightly less if you buy a few.

For those who like Tyrwhitt shirts, they have an outlet shop at Bicester Park, which is a reasonable drive from London. There are also outlets for Gieves and Thieves & Ralph Lauren at the same place.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads