• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loake Blackfriars too large

whereswally?

Reaction score
Allright I've ordered the CT equivalent of the Loake 1880 Blackfriars CT link.

Now I ordered a 8.5 and they are like way to big.

I can fit to fingers down the heel and there is almost 2inch space from the end of the big toe to the toe of the shoe.

While walking the heel basically lifts and flops around, if I fit insoles + wear thick merino socks they sort of fit.

Now I can send them back at quite a cost for a refund since they don't have any other sizes in stock, plus I'm a bit worried they won't take them back due to small crease on each from trying the shoe on.

Now my question is what size do you think I would need in these if I were to purchase them when they come back in stock / get them from another store?

I'm over in Australia and have sweet FA choice for shoes over here especially English Shoes, so I going into a store for sizing is out of the question.

The 8.5's are around 12inches long from heel to toe and about 4.3 inches at the widest part of the sole.

My feet are around 10inches long.

Cheers

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in Australia, too, and I agree that ordering shoes over the internet can be a risk. Thankfully, overall my experiences have been good.

Are you anywhere near a reasonably large David Jones department store?
I know that DJs in Brisbane (both city centre and Chermside stores), Sydney and Melbourne stock Loake and so you could visit the store, try on some shoes to find out your size, and then order another pair via the internet.

This tactic also applies for other brands such as Crockett and Jones (C&J), which are stocked by one or two places in Melbourne, Churchs and pretty much any other English brand you can find around the place.

Horatio

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm not confident these CT monks are produced by Loake. Many of todays CT shoes are made by Barker. My CT Clarance came with a Barker Quality Control card, the rubber heel and sole patterns look exactly like the ones of this CT monk, the CT spectators are known to be Barker shoes... Comparing the Loake Blackfriars and the CT the tip looks different to me, slightly flatter and less pointy for the CT.
The CT/Barker shoes/lasts I know run quite long, an 8 or even 7.5 might fit you, but that's hard to tell without trying them on
blush.gif

Best, H.

whereswally?

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
I'm in Australia, too, and I agree that ordering shoes over the internet can be a risk. Thankfully, overall my experiences have been good.

Are you anywhere near a reasonably large David Jones department store?

Over in Perth and work in the conservative business dress where there's Myer / DJ etc but apart from Florsheim, Stacey Adams, Van Heusen, Hush Puppies, Julies Marlow's, Rockport and more recently Sperry's and Chucks, some Armani and Gucci I've never seen any English Shoes.

There's a place over here that sells Church's but never felt brave enough to wonder in with my usual work wear.

Originally Posted by Horatio
Hi,

I'm not confident these CT monks are produced by Loake. Many of todays CT shoes are made by Barker. My CT Clarance came with a Barker Quality Control card, the rubber heel and sole patterns look exactly like the ones of this CT monk, the CT spectators are known to be Barker shoes... Comparing the Loake Blackfriars and the CT the tip looks different to me, slightly flatter and less pointy for the CT.
The CT/Barker shoes/lasts I know run quite long, an 8 or even 7.5 might fit you, but that's hard to tell without trying them on
blush.gif

Best, H.

There seems to be a bit of speculation about who makes the CT monks over at AAAC but nothing conclusive.

Would some additional pictures help?

CT seems to only have the size 7 left in stock in the moment, I'm hoping I can pass them on to my brother they seem to fit allright with insole fitted, rather then ship them back.

Horatio

Reaction score
Hi,

Originally Posted by whereswally?
There seems to be a bit of speculation about who makes the CT monks over at AAAC but nothing conclusive. Would some additional pictures help?

Sure, it's speculation but in the end it doesn't matter so much if the shoe is decently made and fits well? I ordered my CT Clarance in the belief in getting a Loake and was disappointed at first getting a Barker. The shoe is good value for money and fits me so I'm perfectly fine with it now. Sorry not to be able to help with the sizing any further...

Best, H.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads