• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mrlol

Reaction score
I have a BIG problem, I hope someone here can help me and guide me in the right path..

Overall my loake 1880 fits perfect expect 1 thing.. right under my ankle my right fot hits the side of the shoe.. i will attach a picture so you can see the area I'm talking about.
when i walk straight forward i don't feel it, but as soon as i turn or do anything else i can feel it and its painful.

Please help me on what i can do to make this disappear.

I visited a cobbler, he told me he could cut the leather around so my ankle will have room, but is that the best solution?

jmavwiumtktwxnh.jpg

hellomoto

Reaction score
I have a BIG problem, I hope someone here can help me and guide me in the right path..

Overall my loake 1880 fits perfect expect 1 thing.. right under my ankle my right fot hits the side of the shoe.. i will attach a picture so you can see the area I'm talking about.
View attachment 836588

I had a similar problem. Ended up going away when the leather softened (months). I recommend using a leather conditioner (e.g. Saphir Renovateur) to speed it up. Which loakes are they out of interest? Badmintons?

Mrlol

Reaction score
I had a similar problem. Ended up going away when the leather softened (months). I recommend using a leather conditioner (e.g. Saphir Renovateur) to speed it up. Which loakes are they out of interest? Badmintons?
I see, you managed to still walk with them for several months with that pain, or you maybe didn't experience a lot of pain? they are Buckinghams :)

Itoigawa1880

Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendation on which insoles to buy that will be used with loake 1880 capital f?

Hi Mrlol - I notice you are in Poland and so obtaining may be more challenging, but Loake do sell their own leather insoles which fit wonderfully with the Capital last with the F fitting. I know Loake have a few stores in Poland and so hopefully you are near one of them. The insoles compliment the shoe perfectly and look as if they were always meant to be in the shoe. They are also quite thick as well and so provide good elevation to the foot to fill the shoe. Hopefully this helps.

Itoigawa1880

Reaction score

when i walk straight forward i don't feel it, but as soon as i turn or do anything else i can feel it and its painful.

Please help me on what i can do to make this disappear.

I visited a cobbler, he told me he could cut the leather around so my ankle will have room, but is that the best solution?

View attachment 836588

Hi Mrlol - Whatever you do, do not get a cobler to cut away part of the leather. What you are feeling is just stiffness from the shoe and your ankle bone being sensitive to the shape of the shoe. Have you had a pair of 1880 Capital last shoes from Loake before? I have just provided a response to your question on insoles and I would recommend using one, or maybe two pairs of insoles in each shoe to raise your foot high enough that the ankle bone does not hit badly against the side of the shoe. The other option is to wear a thick pair of socks for a while, at least until the leather flexes to the shape of your ankle. The more steps you take in the shoes the sooner they will accommodate your shape. Don't be put off by it and see it as the joy of your shoes becoming part of you.

They'll soon feel like a glove. The leather sole will also be stiff just now which won't be helping with the shoe adapting to your foot.

Hope this helps.

Itoigawa1880

Reaction score
are the Pimlico chukkas true to size?

Yes, they fit true to size. They are wider than the Kempton in the toe area. Do you have another pair of Loakes that are on the Capital last with the F fitting? You may find them a little less forgiving in adapting to your foot due to the rubber sole. They do adapt - it just takes a little longer.

Mrlol

Reaction score
Hi Mrlol - Whatever you do, do not get a cobler to cut away part of the leather. What you are feeling is just stiffness from the shoe and your ankle bone being sensitive to the shape of the shoe. Have you had a pair of 1880 Capital last shoes from Loake before? I have just provided a response to your question on insoles and I would recommend using one, or maybe two pairs of insoles in each shoe to raise your foot high enough that the ankle bone does not hit badly against the side of the shoe. The other option is to wear a thick pair of socks for a while, at least until the leather flexes to the shape of your ankle. The more steps you take in the shoes the sooner they will accommodate your shape. Don't be put off by it and see it as the joy of your shoes becoming part of you.

They'll soon feel like a glove. The leather sole will also be stiff just now which won't be helping with the shoe adapting to your foot.

Hope this helps.
Hello, yes i though cutting my new shoes sounded absurd, but he told me it is very common (he has a good reputation in my town)

I have a black aldwych swell, same problem here (but i rarely use them only on special events).

Ok but how can that part of the shoe break in and become part of my foot? I mean the side of the shoe can't get lower then it is and shape around my ankle bone, you mean it will be wider so my lower ankle bone won't get digged in the shoe side? thank you for the help!

DesB3rd

Reaction score
FYI UK members.

A well known discount clothing/homeware store (you know the one...) is currently running a fair stock of Loake shoes.

I yesterday procured a pair of Aldwychs in black for less than £80. Most pleased; not going to get a half-decent pair of office slippers for less than that!

hellomoto

Reaction score
I see, you managed to still walk with them for several months with that pain, or you maybe didn't experience a lot of pain? they are Buckinghams :)

It was my right ankle bone and only hurt at a particular angle. This was my first pair of loakes which I worn everyday (!) and used low quality wax.

Mrlol

Reaction score
It was my right ankle bone and only hurt at a particular angle. This was my first pair of loakes which I worn everyday (!) and used low quality wax.
ok but the pain disappeared for you? How long did it take? Im using sapphire vax

Itoigawa1880

Reaction score
Hello, yes i though cutting my new shoes sounded absurd, but he told me it is very common (he has a good reputation in my town)

I have a black aldwych swell, same problem here (but i rarely use them only on special events).

Ok but how can that part of the shoe break in and become part of my foot? I mean the side of the shoe can't get lower then it is and shape around my ankle bone, you mean it will be wider so my lower ankle bone won't get digged in the shoe side? thank you for the help!

You will find that the leather will start to flex and crease so that it accommodates your ankle better. Just now the leather is very firm and rigid whereas in a couple of months time you will find that it is a lot more pliable - just like the vamp will relax into the shape of your foot. I would encourage thick socks / insoles and lots of walking! They will get better and better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics