• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheForeigner

Reaction score
It appears to me that Locke isn’t getting the love they deserve in these forums. They’re a perfectly fine shoe at a very reasonable price. Of course I’ll admit that buying the higher end shoes can be a lot more fun for a plethora of reasons rational and irrational, but Loake 1880 must be the best shoe around for the price range they’re in, and maybe the best value-for-money deal you can get — I don’t know? I certainly find no fault with the pairs I have. Today wearing the double-monk cannon in black.

115C4144-E80A-4CE6-ADCA-260D8D3E6559.jpeg

Last edited:

Wood Street

Reaction score
Hi!

Looking to get some Saphir products. I'm currently using the Renovateur for conditioning then shining with a neutral polish.

Should I still get a colored cream or colored polish?

Any experience as to what color of Saphir goes best with the Buckingham Tan?
Looking at Light Brown but not quite sure since the tan on the loakes seem light, I DONT WANT to darken them.

Thanks for any advice!

Since the Renovateur is more of a cleaning and softening product for the leather I only use it few times a year when it's time for big cleanups. I put a thin layer on the upper, leave it for a few minutes and then start to gently rub with a cloth. Then you get a lot of old cream and polish of the shoe. Don't go too hard here cause it can affect the finish of the leather. Then brush and and apply cream, brush again. Polish if you want more shine in certain areas... I was taught this technique by a friend who is a shoemaker and I have to say all my shoes ages more beautiful now. For regular use I would recommend the 1925 creme instead. It's a better product for regular use in my opinion. Go for the Neutral one which will affect the finish as little as possible. If you want to achieve shine I can really recommend their new High Gloss Polish it's great!

There are hundreds of ways, techniques and opinions about shoe care but above works really good for me.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It appears to me that Locke isn’t getting the love they deserve in these forums. They’re a perfectly fine shoe at a very reasonable price. Of course I’ll admit that buying the higher end shoes can be a lot more fun for a plethora of reasons rational and irrational, but Loake 1880 must be the best shoe around for the price range they’re in, and maybe the best value-for-money deal you can get — I don’t know? I certainly find no fault with the pairs I have. Today wearing the double-monk cannon in black.

View attachment 914361

I wish we could have more access to Loake shoes around here. I still regret not buying the Chester's when they were available and for $88 USD.

pediwear

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi!

Looking to get some Saphir products. I'm currently using the Renovateur for conditioning then shining with a neutral polish.

Should I still get a colored cream or colored polish?

Any experience as to what color of Saphir goes best with the Buckingham Tan?
Looking at Light Brown but not quite sure since the tan on the loakes seem light, I DONT WANT to darken them.

Thanks for any advice!

I think the advice that Wood Street has given is very sound, and I would second the assertion that using neutral polish is better if you do not want to darken the finish. Even a polish which is exactly colour matched will add pigment and has the potential to darken the leather. The colour Pommadier cream or wax polish is better used when colour restoration is required.

Odradek

Reaction score
FYI for anyone in London, the Loake shop on Jermyn Street has some great offers on what look like discontinued models.
Just had time to look in the window this morning, not go inside, but they had Perth in burgundy, and I think in suede too, for £110.
Several other shoes in the window were reduced to £110.
Not bad when regular 1880 price is about £230 these days.

Not sure if the same deals are available online, but maybe worth enquiring.

TheForeigner

Reaction score
I know what you mean. Where I am posted there's a good choice of E.G and Loake, but the nearest C&J stockist is several hours long flight away...

Another cool thing about Loake is the "by appointment to HRH the Queen"-thing. Of course C&J has James Bond (but I think we can all agree that Daniel Craig is not the real Bond).

I wish we could have more access to Loake shoes around here. I still regret not buying the Chester's when they were available and for $88 USD.

josef1

Reaction score
I think the advice that Wood Street has given is very sound, and I would second the assertion that using neutral polish is better if you do not want to darken the finish. Even a polish which is exactly colour matched will add pigment and has the potential to darken the leather. The colour Pommadier cream or wax polish is better used when colour restoration is required.

Thanks for the replies!

I went and bought the whole array of Saphir products to suit every situation.
Renovateur for conditioning, a light brown Creme Pommadier for re-pigmenting and stubborn scuffs, a neutral wax for shining without coloring, and the Reno'mat to reset all my shoes to a new "All Saphir" regimen since I used to use very cheap toxic waxes.

Exciting times for my shoe care regimen haha

Thanks everyone!

Odradek

Reaction score
I know what you mean. Where I am posted there's a good choice of E.G and Loake, but the nearest C&J stockist is several hours long flight away...

Another cool thing about Loake is the "by appointment to HRH the Queen"-thing. Of course C&J has James Bond (but I think we can all agree that Daniel Craig is not the real Bond).

The real Bond always wore Church's.

TheForeigner

Reaction score
Note that renomat should not be the first thing you try when cleaning your shoes, as the acetone can also remove the finish set by the manufacturer. I have for some reason had best results cleaning shoes/removing old polish/wax with saphir neutral cream...

Thanks for the replies!

I went and bought the whole array of Saphir products to suit every situation.
Renovateur for conditioning, a light brown Creme Pommadier for re-pigmenting and stubborn scuffs, a neutral wax for shining without coloring, and the Reno'mat to reset all my shoes to a new "All Saphir" regimen since I used to use very cheap toxic waxes.

Exciting times for my shoe care regimen haha

Thanks everyone!

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I recommend caution in applying all these products to shoes? Bear in mind that what really matters is that you brush your shoes very regularly. Only use creams and polishes when you have to. And that won't be very often. Simplicity is genius. Yours, Munky.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I recommend caution in applying all these products to shoes? Bear in mind that what really matters is that you brush your shoes very regularly. Only use creams and polishes when you have to. And that won't be very often. Simplicity is genius. Yours, Munky.

The only thing I use regularly (every 3-4 months) is conditioner. My routine is to start with Saphir Renovateur, and then several rounds of Bick 4.

Colouring is only applied if the shoes are royally scuffed or mucked up.

Isiah Tongue

Reaction score
Is there anyone on this board with the Loake Export Grade shoes?

I was hoping that someone would have be able to post

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is there anyone on this board with the Loake Export Grade shoes?

I was hoping that someone would have be able to post

As requested:

These are the Warwich model and I picked them up from the Loake store in central London (close to New & Lingwood).

The quality is outstanding.

1. Beautiful burnishing throughout the upper, in a rich light espresso colour.

2. The finishing is much better than Loake 1880 mainline. Up to par with C&J benchgrade or Cheaney in my opinion.

3. Very nice bevelled waist.

4. Medium instep, so should work with most feet. I have a low instep, and wear 7.5UK in the Capital last and 8UK in the Duke last. I wear 7.5UK in the export grade last.

5. The last is based on the Swing Last, as you can see by the swoop of the shoe.

6. The value is outstanding. For 325 pounds (VAT included). they included felt shoe bags, a shoe horn, and Loake branded shoes trees with a brass ring for easy use.

7. Since I was a tourist, they deducted VAT, which makes the value even better. Came out to 295 after deduction.

I definitely want to buy more of these shoes, and I hope they expand this line to include wholecuts, chelseas and monks.

Verdict: for a shoe that's cheaper than C&J benchgrade, is of similar quality, and includes high-quality shoe trees, the value is a no brainer. I took the shoes to a cobbler in London for metal toe taps, and even he was impressed by the quality.

Buy now!

Isiah Tongue

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I shall pick up a pair next time I’m in the UK

As requested:

These are the Warwich model and I picked them up from the Loake store in central London (close to New & Lingwood).

The quality is outstanding.

1. Beautiful burnishing throughout the upper, in a rich light espresso colour.

2. The finishing is much better than Loake 1880 mainline. Up to par with C&J benchgrade or Cheaney in my opinion.

3. Very nice bevelled waist.

4. Medium instep, so should work with most feet. I have a low instep, and wear 7.5UK in the Capital last and 8UK in the Duke last. I wear 7.5UK in the export grade last.

5. The last is based on the Swing Last, as you can see by the swoop of the shoe.

6. The value is outstanding. For 325 pounds (VAT included). they included felt shoe bags, a shoe horn, and Loake branded shoes trees with a brass ring for easy use.

7. Since I was a tourist, they deducted VAT, which makes the value even better. Came out to 295 after deduction.

I definitely want to buy more of these shoes, and I hope they expand this line to include wholecuts, chelseas and monks.

Verdict: for a shoe that's cheaper than C&J benchgrade, is of similar quality, and includes high-quality shoe trees, the value is a no brainer. I took the shoes to a cobbler in London for metal toe taps, and even he was impressed by the quality.

Buy now!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads