• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loafers

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol are you being serious or are you messing with me? and which is warmer?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lol are you being serious or are you messing with me? and which is warmer?

I am being serious. Lined shoes have an extra layer of leather, and there's generally cotton or wool batting between the upper and the lining, so they wear a bit warmer.

Last edited:

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
O I see, well in that case I may just pull the trigger on them. I guess Ill just have to keep wearing loafer socks for a while then :plain:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, socks/sockless matters a whole lot more than lining in scent retention. Hell, I don't think I've ever even heard that one before.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I am being serious. Lined shoes have an extra layer of leather, and there's generally cotton or wool batting between the upper and the lining, so they wear a bit warmer.

I don't believe that's true. Especially not with the "generally" qualifier.

And why would it be true?

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

does anyone have any recommendations for a nice classic loafer that holds up well? I am tired of sperrys because they wear out quickly. I am looking for something that is lined, I believe this will keep the shoe from smelling (thats what I was told). I am looking at buying 2 pairs right now. Im 21 and in undergrad.

Two things will keep a shoe from smelling.

1). If you go sockless simply don't wear the shoe more often than once a week (my method). I have a pair of sperry suede loafers that are somewhere between 25-30 years old - never worn with socks - never worn more than once or twice week. NO SMELL.

2). Wear socks.

To my knowledge it would have nothing to do with whether the shoe was lined or not - as either the lining or the unlined leather of the vamp would absorb moisture/sweat/bacteria and thus smell if not allowed to dry thoroughly.

Oh - and I guess I was wrong there is a third thing to bear in mind - DON'T DOUSE THEM WITH LIQUOR - nothing worse than a sloppy drunk with smelly shoes! :crackup:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

Oh - and I guess I was wrong there is a third thing to bear in mind - DON'T DOUSE THEM WITH LIQUOR - nothing worse than a sloppy drunk with smelly shoes! :crackup:

If you're going to attack me like that at least make it direct :D.

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you're going to attack me like that at least make it direct :D.

LOL - Funny thing is - I almost DID actually mention your screen name!

Although in real life I've not smelled your shoes - so it seemed a little contrived!

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't believe that's true. Especially not with the "generally" qualifier.

And why would it be true?

Not sure why, but there has been discussion of such on this board, I think when somebody gouged his shoe and saw white stuff through the tear in the leather. Perhaps to help keep you from feeling the seams in the upper?

I seem to remember some mention of AE using cotton and Alden using wool as well.

Perhaps it's not true, perhaps I'm misremembering, perhaps it's something done with some methods and not others, and perhaps the generally is not accurate. But unless someone can tell me definitively otherwise, I'll stick with my memory. It's generally pretty reliable, especially in things that don't serve my self interest either way.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Not sure why, but there has been discussion of such on this board, I think when somebody gouged his shoe and saw white stuff through the tear in the leather. Perhaps to help keep you from feeling the seams in the upper?

I seem to remember some mention of AE using cotton and Alden using wool as well.

Perhaps it's not true, perhaps I'm misremembering, perhaps it's something done with some methods and not others, and perhaps the generally is not accurate. But unless someone can tell me definitively otherwise, I'll stick with my memory. It's generally pretty reliable, especially in things that don't serve my self interest either way.

Depending on where the tear was it could be a synthetic stiffener for either the heel or the toe.

Any seam reinforcement would tend to be pretty narrow.

Other than that unless the vamp leather or quarter leather is so soft and stretchy (poor quality, IOW) that the maker cannot last the shoe reliably without it, there would be no need for further backing beyond what is provided by the lining. No manufacturer is going to add a superfluous component--it just adds to the cost of materials, and reduces profit.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Depending on where the tear was it could be a synthetic stiffener for either the heel or the toe.

Any seam reinforcement would tend to be pretty narrow.

Other than that unless the vamp leather or quarter leather is so soft and stretchy (poor quality, IOW) that the maker cannot last the shoe reliably without it, there would be no need for further backing beyond what is provided by the lining. No manufacturer is going to add a superfluous component--it just adds to the cost of materials, and reduces profit.

Don't think it would be there for reinforcement purposes- more padding to prevent somebody feeling the seam through the lining would be my guess. Hell, it could even be done for insulation. But speculating is really quite useless- you don't know, but doubt, and I don't know, but have heard of the presence of such things. The two of us talking isn't going to figure this one out.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I decided it would be a good idea to wash a pair of boat shoes that were smelling...lets just say they havent been worn since. :plain:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what do you guys think about these and these.

I like the look of the boat shoe more, but I am tired of having rubber soles. I would like a shoe with a leather sole which is why I put the first option there. Anyone have any suggestions on shoes that look like "boat shoes" but have leather soles?

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

I decided it would be a good idea to wash a pair of boat shoes that were smelling...lets just say they havent been worn since. :plain:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what do you guys think about these and these.

I like the look of the boat shoe more, but I am tired of having rubber soles. I would like a shoe with a leather sole which is why I put the first option there. Anyone have any suggestions on shoes that look like "boat shoes" but have leather soles?

Boat shoes are made with rubber soles to grip boat decks. Leather soles are obviously not good for gripping anything, therefore a "boat shoe" styled shoe with leather soles is probably pretty hard to come by. I know I have seen some really cheap/crappy Chinese loafers with a leather sole and uni-laced boat shoe-like construction, but they aren't even worth posting. When I think of a leather soled loafers with embellishment/a more casual boat shoe feel I think tassels or horsebits.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How old are you? The jazz (two dangling objects) makes the shoe seem a little much for my taste. In my opinion, and I may be wrong, they are too much for someone my age(21) to wear unless your constantly in a setting where people are dressed well. In my case I get compliments for always dressing nice and all I am wearing are shorts, a polo, and boat shoes. :plain: ( I dont consider that nice)

I am hoping to slowly rotate out my collection of boat shoes with loafers. I feel they are a bit less trendy and a bit more...classic????

Are boat shoes a type of loafer?

so guys, what about:

suede:

Option 1

Option 2

Brown leather

Option 1

Option 2

Option 3

Option 4

Option 5

Blue leather

Option 1

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads