• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lifting weights and wearing tailored clothing?

BoydsShoes

Reaction score
For the life of me I’ve never understood why dudes lift weights to bulk up.

I get that sometimes it’s sport specific, like skaters and hockey players with big thighs, but why do it under the guise of fitness.

Your clothes don’t fit and you waddle as though you just **** your pants.

C'mon, it's fun, addicting, and better for you than smoking. And how many things can you do in life where you work hard, and get positive feedback in response?

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score

I get that sometimes it’s sport specific, like skaters and hockey players with big thighs, but why do it under the guise of fitness.

Sir, this is a forum full of blowhards who wear 19th century costumes to sit at a computer all day. The kid at the gym anxious about his biceps has got nothing on any of us in terms of pointless vanity.

Jokes aside, what windmills are you tilting at? It seems like you're under the impression that every guy at the gym is training to look like Ronnie Coleman and that's 1. not the case and 2. even if it were, no one actually looks like him. I mean, sure, bodybuilding was made very popular in the 1960s in order to sell supplements (and to a lesser extent, to distribute homoerotic materials while skirting indecency laws), and the ramifications of its advertising efforts stretched into the mid 2000s or so as people were convinced bigger was better. You miiiight have had a point back then, although the objects of your scorn would be no more contemptible than anyone who has ever bought into any sort of false advertising.

But that's a moot point because in 2021, physical culture (and science) has seen a big shift towards heavy barbell training as a means of stretching out your youth via increased bone and muscle density, and compressing your dying years into a relatively short interval at the tail end of an active life. Getting bigger isn't really the goal, though of course most of us will see a bit of hypertrophy. Health-wise though, if a regular-sized healthy man in his 30s can squat 400lbs+, then barring some catastrophic illness or injury, there will never come the day when he can't get out of his chair or walk down the street. And no, a 400lb squat is not going to explode your back or your knees, although it seems like being overly weak while trying to move a couch down a flight of stairs is a great way to do just that.

And what's up with the "Your clothes don't fit" nonsense? A proportioned physique that results from lots of heavy compound movements gives you exactly the sort of silhouette that a suit tries to create. Several people here have now commented that regular training moved them up maybe 1 jacket size before things levelled off; surely going from a 42 to a 44 isn't the sartorial nightmare you make it out to be.

C'mon, it's fun, addicting, and better for you than smoking. And how many things can you do in life where you work hard, and get positive feedback in response?

masturbation.

You can walk and chew gum, buddy. Also, of maximum relevancy:

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jokes aside, what windmills are you tilting at? It seems like you're under the impression that every guy at the gym is training to look like Ronnie Coleman

hence the qualifier of bulking up.

By the way; I didn’t just pull that term out of the air. The OP alluded to bulking up and that his clothes were “snug”.

HistoryBuff1812

Reaction score

So that I can attract guys, next question.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hence the qualifier of bulking up.

By the way; I didn’t just pull that term out of the air. The OP alluded to bulking up and that his clothes were “snug”.
I went from 133 lbs to 151 lbs soaking wet, then down to 148 after losing fat. I went from a 36R to a 38R. Bulking is literally just eating an excess of calories to gain weight. I did that while lifting weights.

For the purpose of summarizing, I'm going to overlap strength training and bulking together.

Improvements in:
-Mental health
-The way clothing literally hangs off my body, it's now off muscle and skin rather than joints and bone.
-Improved posture
-Less injury prone/better total body synergy in every day life.

I just look normal/average now.
147LZ09.jpg

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went from 133 lbs to 151 lbs soaking wet, then down to 148 after losing fat. I went from a 36R to a 38R. Bulking is literally just eating an excess of calories to gain weight. I did that while lifting weights.

That happened to me at the start of 8th grade all the way to the end of 8th grade.

ran23

Reaction score
In my early 60's I found myself at 250 lbs. 5-8.5. BMI? I lost 95 lbs because I needed to. 44 down to a 38 jacket. Bought 2 suits, charcoal and a tweed plaid for winter. 6 jackets. and everything else I figured I needed. Shortly after, my Doctor said I was down to 5-7 1/4. 3 Jackets didn't fit anymore. Replaced those and started swinging some 15 + 20 pd hex-bells. My chest went from 38 to 39.5. almost over night. so much for some of my wardrobe. Careful lifting when your wardrobe fits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads