• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lexus / Toyota -- Sudden Acceleration Issue -- Deaths Reported

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so how come there are no threads about toyota's massive recall? let's talk about all the fluff some of you anti-american car folks were pushing
smile.gif

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
so how come there are no threads about toyota's massive recall?

let's talk about all the fluff some of you anti-american car folks were pushing
smile.gif

Eh, I got a letter a few months back from Lexus about the driver side floor mats and sudden acceleration but have never had an issue with it.

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TOYOTA does it again by designing Artificial Selection Darwinian machine to ease traffic congestion in US.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the problem in Toyota's case isn't just the floor mats catching the gas pedal but also that the pedal would fail to spring back to idle position properly or even get stuck in the "I'm gonna pass this sucka" position" .
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Audis have a little circular plastic catch at the four corners of the floor mats that prevent this from happening; ingenious system really.
Great system actually. I fondly remember buying the plastic screw thingiess from the dealer after some were lost. It does a good job of keeping mats in place. Now only if BMW can get on board. When I drive our manual 3-series the mat moves all over the place.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
Great system actually. I fondly remember buying the plastic screw thingiess from the dealer after some were lost. It does a good job of keeping mats in place. Now only if BMW can get on board. When I drive our manual 3-series the mat moves all over the place.
IIRC, BMW mats have velcro at the four corners. I never had this problem when I had my E46 330Ci (also a manual). But yeah, Toyota is pretty fucked by this recall. I wonder how many of their execs will commit seppuku in their cars.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
But yeah, Toyota is pretty fucked by this recall. I wonder how many of their execs will commit sepulchre in their cars.

Image01640x435_thumb.jpg

It takes quite an event to do away with their long-dated quality reputation.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Image01640x435_thumb.jpg

It takes quite an event to do away with their long-dated quality reputation.

What good is longevity if the drivers are dead?
rimshot.gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
Now only if BMW can get on board. When I drive our manual 3-series the mat moves all over the place.
Porsche 911s, the 996, can have a problem with the floor mats preventing the clutch from depressing fully if the floors mats are not secured properly. The problem can contribute to alternator issues. The good news is that it can be remedied easily by securing the floor mats with velcro or using the rubber winter mats. Obviously the Toyota problem doesn't have an easy fix.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I wonder how many of their execs will commit sepulchre in their cars.

800px-BeitShearimSarcophagus2.jpg

?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
sepulchre

?

Haha...I always get that word confused with seppuku when I don't double check. Now that I think about it, the sepulchre word doesn't look like anything that would come from Japanese.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Haha...I always get that word confused with seppuku when I don't double check. Now that I think about it, the sepulchre word doesn't look like anything that would come from Japanese.

I figured that's what you meant, I just like being an ass.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I figured that's what you meant, I just like being an ass.

When I think of the word seppuku, I always picture the scene in Ronin where the old dude was telling Robert De Niro the story about samurais who committed seppuku after they avenged the death of their master.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
When I think of the word seppuku, I always picture the scene in Ronin where the old dude was telling Robert De Niro the story about samurais who committed seppuku after they avenged the death of their master.

Might as well. One of the most famous stories about it, as told to DeNiro by a guy who looks like a giant muppet dog.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Might as well. One of the most famous stories about it, as told to DeNiro by a guy who looks like a giant muppet dog.

More like a sheep dog to me.

oldenglishsheepdogx.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads