• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Levi's LVC 1947 501 dry denim?

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im interested in buying a pair off the levis on-line store, but am a bit worried about sizing. They say to go up 2 sizes in the waist and that they will shrink 3-4 inches in length. I dont want to buy a pair knowing that they will shrink to nothing when i wash them. I usually go two sizes down in most dry denim and dont wash for about six months but i want to wash these and get a nice close fit, any suggestions? If anyone has these and can share any info on shrinkage and fit that would be great?

rnrswitch

Reaction score
I measure about a 31 waist and have a pair of 30s that measure about 31.5" in the waist prewash. These are also a two year old pair of 47s and I haven't washed them yet, but I suppose they will shring to about a 30 and then stretch right back out to about a 31.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnrswitch
I measure about a 31 waist and have a pair of 30s that measure about 31.5" in the waist prewash. These are also a two year old pair of 47s and I haven't washed them yet, but I suppose they will shring to about a 30 and then stretch right back out to about a 31.

Ok, so you went one size down and just havent washed them in forever. Im thinking of mayber going that same route and just dry cleaning them after they get too smelly. Any ideas on if i wanted to wash them, what size to get? I take a 32 and usually buy a 30 in dry. I have heard of buying them true to size and jumping in the bath while wearing them to minimilize shirinkage? any thoughts on that?

Chip

Reaction score
Buy them a size bigger (waist) or depending on your body type (slim/average) you could buy your same size waist, then 2 sizes more in the length. Soak. If youre scared they will shrink too much wear them damp. Theyll stretch back out a little anyway regardless. This is to get the sizing issues out to of the way, then you can just wear them worry free. Plus I prefer the color of the 47s after all the starch and sizing is washed out. I kinda dont even want to see all the contrast in my 47s anyway im gonna just cycle them in between jeans to keep them dark.

Chip

Reaction score
I wear a 31-32 normally and like you buy 30 dry, I bought these lvcs in 34x34 kinda wanted these little looser than other dry denims cause i hadnt planned on wearing these on a daily basis. So when I took them out of soak I put a hanger in the waist with the jeans buttoned up as if the hanger was wearing the jeans to prevent too much shrinkage in the waist. You could see them getting tighter while they dried. I didnt want to wear them damp cause its too cold inside and didnt want to get sick... I just had better **** to do..

Stalker McStalkerson

Reaction score
My '47s from this year shrank like crazy, as in 2.25 inches on the waist. You should be fine getting your normal waist size so long as you go through the shrinking process (the LVCs come true to fit).

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My LVC 47 fits snug at 31, whereas I usually wear a 30. After a regular machine wash, the length shrank approx 3 inches, going from 34 to 31 and the waist shrank to 29, but i stretched the waist back to 31 while damp using a clip-on hanger.

!luc

johnnyskin

Reaction score
I just bought a pair of LVC 47's size 32/32. How long should I wear then before the first wash? I've heard that if you don't wash for a while they fit better when you do and the shrinkage is more in line with your body profile. Is this right. I take a 31/32 waist and 30 leg , so I will have to roll up the legs for a while until I wash them. Also is it best to let them dry naturally or use a dryer?

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought a pair of LVC 47's size 32/32. How long should I wear then before the first wash? I've heard that if you don't wash for a while they fit better when you do and the shrinkage is more in line with your body profile. Is this right. I take a 31/32 waist and 30 leg , so I will have to roll up the legs for a while until I wash them. Also is it best to let them dry naturally or use a dryer?

Never put them in a dryer, unless you need to shrink the chr*st out of them. 95% of the time you should let them air dry.
Wear them for a couple weeks, then wash them in cold. I usually put a little baking soda(soda of bicarbonate) in with the wash and as little laundry soap as possible. I find the baking soda helps keep them fresh longer between washes, and is a safe cleaner for jeans.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
The longer you can wear them Before the first wash the better.
Then hand cold wash with liquid soap, i use woolite black as it works to keep the dark color and avoid too much fading.
If you are a bit lazy like me, same treatment but machine wash cold.
I only hand wash without tumble when i fear an excessive shrinkage. So that´s what i do with my STF 501s. Not with my usual jeans of choice, Lee Riders, as they are sanforized (apart some rare editions)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads