• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk Homemade Pizza

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score

I was leaning towards a yeast issue, but it foamed up in water and rose to about twice the size at room temperature, then doubled again when I put it in the fridge. The oven isn't in NYC, a friend on Long Island owns a pizzeria. Of course, getting the employees to understand that I was trying to make a different style of pizza from what they make there and didn't need help was another issue. It's hard disagreeing with professional pizza chefs about pizza making, but I'm unsure of the accuracy of the proclamation that "you can never add too much flour."
I can make regular, decent pizza. The pizzas I made today could give most pizzerias in America a run for their money, but I'm trying to figure out how to make perfect Neopolitan pizza which is proving way harder than it seems.

Are you familiar with this guy's website. He's in a similar boat, except he's dedicated his entire life to it in this bizarrely endearing blog about his obsession. He goes at it HARD. He's probably a douche, but you have to admire the passion.

http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm

Last edited:

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ed leahy, the no-knead bread guy just came out with a pizza book. haven't cooked from it yet, but everyone i know who has made his bread has been pretty crazy about it.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I've been using varasano's dough recipe. It's been great for me. Recent pizza:

Last edited:

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2012/03/tomato-and-stracciatella-pizzas
ed leahy, the no-knead bread guy just came out with a pizza book. haven't cooked from it yet, but everyone i know who has made his bread has been pretty crazy about it.

The most recent Bon Appetit has this on the cover and features the dough recipe and talks about the book. I bought the magazine as I was stuck in an airport coming back from a work trip and was drooling over the pizza on the cover. I ended up making the dough recipe a few days later. I would rank it up there with the Reinhart recipe that encourages longer fermentation. The Leahy recipe is ideal for someone who either doesn't have a stand mixer, doesn't want to bring it out.

This was the first recipe from Leahy that I have tried out but I have been reading about him for a long time, ever since Bittman feature the no-knead recipe in the NYT.

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2012/03/tomato-and-stracciatella-pizzas

Last edited:

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tonight's try.

Made my own sauce (well Varasano's sauce). Basically just pureed tomatoes. Was a bit too watery - need to work on it. Flavor on the pizza was fantastic though.

Cross posted in wdyelnfd.

Aerostat

Reaction score
I have two pizza's to share if you are interested in trying them. My wife and I make these at home and are quite pleased with them.

Pizza #1
Olive oil (for the sauce)
Pears
Goat cheese
Dates
Thyme

Pizza #2
Fig jam (for the sauce)
Prosciutto
Gorgonzola

Bake, let cool.

Top with Arugula salad:

Baby Arugula
Nice olive oil
Balsamic vinegar
Minced shallot
salt
pepper
lemon zest (optional)
Honey (optional - If you use really good balsamic you may not need it)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads