1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Lets talk Homemade Pizza

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by randallr, Jan 29, 2011.

1. sidamo

sidamo Well-Known Member

the last time i made pizza I was in a hurry. I used thickly-sliced mozzarella and sandwich pepperoni from from the deli...it was quick and easy - and worked out well

2. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Had my favorite pizza I always make at home last night. Just red onion, caper, and mozz. When done put fresh rosemary, garlic, and oregano on it. Only had dried oregano unfortunately.

Put oven on 500F, about 6 minutes on a pizza stone.

3. KJT

KJT Senior member

Made grilled pizza over the weekend. Trader joes dough, fresh mozz, basil, tomato, olive oil, little crushed red pepper and a little proscuitto. it was wonderful.

The crust was great - crisp but with some chew. The mozz was a bit too watery though. I think I'd lay it on a towel after slicing to get some of the moisture out.

4. bullrams

bullrams Senior member

Wanted to thank this thread for suggesting using unglazed tiles and leading me to seriouseat recipes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got some air bubbles:

[​IMG]

5. alexg

alexg Senior member

Bumping this because I suck and need help. How the hell do I form pizzas so I get a good cornicione? I made the dough using Matt's recipe, risen overnight in the fridge and rested it for 2 hours before forming the pie. First off I when I used 500 grams of 00 flour as specified, the dough was sticking to my hands and the counter and was impossible to knead, so I had to add a few more tablespoons to even get it workable. Then when I tried forming it it couldn't stretch thin without ripping, so the only option was to use a rolling pin and re-form a bit of crust afterwards. I cooked it in a wood fired oven which cooked the middle to pretty close to what it should be, but the crust stayed cracker thin with no rise at all and it took way too long to cook. It actually worked better in a regular oven on broil the first time I made it, but still the crust stayed pretty thin. I'm sure I'm doing plenty of things wrong, but can anyone help me figure out what to change for next time?

On a similar note, has anyone ever taken a class at PIzza a Casa in NYC? They're getting great reviews, but I've never been one to trust anonymous reviews like that.

6. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

you have to be patient when you're stretching the dough. you also might not have kneaded the dough enough

tbh i think a rolling pin is perfectly fine

7. alexg

alexg Senior member

It didn't seem to be an issue with patience, it just wasn't stretching without ripping period. Could that have been too much flour or something? Normally I'd be fine with a rolling pin, but I'm trying to make authentic VPN style Neopolitan pizza, and rolling pins are expressly forbidden. I also don't think they allow for the crust to puff up as much as I'd like. This is an example of what I'm trying to do. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

sorry im not a big neopolitan pizza nerd, but it seems to me something is wrong with the yeast. not enough? maybe you added the salt too early (can hamper or kill off growth)?

did you weigh everything else out too?

where'd you get a wood fired oven in nyc to use?

9. spence

spence Senior member

I think you may be over thnking everything.

Make pizza. Then make more pizza. I've made so many mistakes I couldn't count them all. But I make damn good pizza today...

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  10. alexg

alexg Senior member

I was leaning towards a yeast issue, but it foamed up in water and rose to about twice the size at room temperature, then doubled again when I put it in the fridge. The oven isn't in NYC, a friend on Long Island owns a pizzeria. Of course, getting the employees to understand that I was trying to make a different style of pizza from what they make there and didn't need help was another issue. It's hard disagreeing with professional pizza chefs about pizza making, but I'm unsure of the accuracy of the proclamation that "you can never add too much flour."

I can make regular, decent pizza. The pizzas I made today could give most pizzerias in America a run for their money, but I'm trying to figure out how to make perfect Neopolitan pizza which is proving way harder than it seems.

11. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

Are you familiar with this guy's website. He's in a similar boat, except he's dedicated his entire life to it in this bizarrely endearing blog about his obsession. He goes at it HARD. He's probably a douche, but you have to admire the passion.

http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  12. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    ed leahy, the no-knead bread guy just came out with a pizza book. haven't cooked from it yet, but everyone i know who has made his bread has been pretty crazy about it.

13. KJT

KJT Senior member

Yeah I've been using varasano's dough recipe. It's been great for me. Recent pizza:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  14. pscolari

pscolari Senior member

The most recent Bon Appetit has this on the cover and features the dough recipe and talks about the book. I bought the magazine as I was stuck in an airport coming back from a work trip and was drooling over the pizza on the cover. I ended up making the dough recipe a few days later. I would rank it up there with the Reinhart recipe that encourages longer fermentation. The Leahy recipe is ideal for someone who either doesn't have a stand mixer, doesn't want to bring it out.

This was the first recipe from Leahy that I have tried out but I have been reading about him for a long time, ever since Bittman feature the no-knead recipe in the NYT.

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2012/03/tomato-and-stracciatella-pizzas

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  15. KJT

KJT Senior member

Tonight's try.

Made my own sauce (well Varasano's sauce). Basically just pureed tomatoes. Was a bit too watery - need to work on it. Flavor on the pizza was fantastic though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cross posted in wdyelnfd.

16. Aerostat

Aerostat Well-Known Member

I have two pizza's to share if you are interested in trying them. My wife and I make these at home and are quite pleased with them.

Pizza #1
    Olive oil (for the sauce)
    Pears
    Goat cheese
    Dates
    Thyme

Pizza #2
    Fig jam (for the sauce)
    Prosciutto
    Gorgonzola

Bake, let cool.

Top with Arugula salad:

Baby Arugula
    Nice olive oil
    Balsamic vinegar
    Minced shallot
    salt
    pepper
    lemon zest (optional)
    Honey (optional - If you use really good balsamic you may not need it)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012