1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I made macarons!

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by mafoofan, Sep 10, 2012.

1. curzon

curzon Senior member

“Curzon understands the cultural nuances of our ti

I watched the video and it's informative and well done. Is her voice "too hot to pass up"? No. I don't find the female Aussie voice particularly pleasant to the ear, but hers isn't as grating as most on the continent.

BTW, here is your Siren -

[​IMG]

G'day! Throw a macaroon on the barbie?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  2. b1os

b1os Senior member

[​IMG]

Seems legit.

3. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

the place by rock center, I think its Bouchon or Bouley Bakery. A small coffee shop across from Bryant Park on 40th. A french bakery on 3rd, somewhere in the 30s. Another place I can't remember. I think you need to bake me a half dozen or so to change my mind, nothing special, just chocolate, vanilla and whatever else your heart fancies. I'll PM you the shipping address.

4. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Very oval head.

5. curzon

curzon Senior member

“Curzon understands the cultural nuances of our ti

Not the tart I imagined.

In private, yeah? Why's that?

6. b1os

b1os Senior member

Matt, are you always that picky?

7. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Bouchon Bakery's are pretty decent. Unless they served you stale ones, if you don't like them, it's unlikely you'll like any. Their vanilla ones are particularly good---better than Laduree's in my opinion.

However, we tend to get stupider flavors in the U.S. Just like with gelato. Lots of chocolate and strawberry.

8. mafoofan

Me? About what?

9. b1os

b1os Senior member

Oh, you're a Matt, too. To me, you are a Foo. I meant the other Matt, Matt.

Reminds me.. still need to finish reading the Foofed thread.

Anyways, back to the topic, back to macarron chacarron (ok, that one was bad).

10. BrianVarick

BrianVarick Senior member

I am going to try this! Is there anything else you found that made it easier?

11. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

awesome, i love macarons :slayer:

12. mafoofan

Just remember getting the batter to the right consistency is the critical point. Err on the side of stiffer, drier egg whites. Everything else is easy and straightforward.

13. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Senior member

Did you let them sit for at least 2 hours after piping before placing in the oven?

Big mistake if you didn't.

14. BrianVarick

BrianVarick Senior member

Did you just pipe the filling in or what?

15. mafoofan

No, I didn't. The macaron lady just said to bang the tray a few times to settle the macarons. This seems to be common advice. And it worked. The macarons all came out well-formed.

I would have, but I was very angry with my pastry bag by that point, so I just spooned it on.

16. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    beautiful job foo. i find that really good macarons are great, but anything less is kind of "what's the fuss?". there doesn't seem to be a middle ground ... like for chocolate chip cookies, where even the one's that aren't great, are really good.

17. mafoofan

[​IMG]

Made these last night. Oolong tea with honey buttercream on the left, blueberry cream on the right. Came out even better than the earlier batches. A few individual macarons came out cracked, but no batches were botched.

The oolong one is perhaps my favorite so far. I thought it would be difficult to infuse the flavor or tea into the macaron, but it turns out you just need to ground up some loose leaves and throw them into the batter. I tried two teaspoons, fearful of making it too strong. After tasting them, I think I can go three or four. The honey I added to the filling complements the tea flavor very well--oolong is very robust and can stand up to the sweetness.

For the blueberry ones, I wanted to avoid doing a fruit jam macaron. I much prefer a cream filling. So, I mixed some blueberry preserves into the basic buttercream I've been using (which, incidentally, is super-easy to make). Again, I could have gone stronger and doubled the blueberry portion. Next time.

18. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

those look awesome.

Oolong = want.

19. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

Man, I'm impressed.

Can't find a decent macaron in Philly. In fact, the macarons I had out of a refrigerated display case @ a convenience store in Tokyo :eek: were better than any I can find in Philly.

1 person likes this.
  20. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

What are macarons?