• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's talk about sushi...

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You have got to be kidding me. Kevin eats is the biggest tool on the interwebs, and knows literally next to nothing about food. He is everything that is wrong with food blogging.

I like the pictures - but don't know a whole hell of a lot myself.
Curious as to why you say that?
Seems like he has certainly tried the range of USA's best offerings so he's qualified to make comparisons between them. I am not disagreeing with you because I don't know **** - but explain his cluelessness/refer me to someone better please.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
his writing is :fu::fu::fu:

from a random one

As a foodie, how could my trip possibly be complete without sampling Wagyu beef? The nomenclature "Wagyu" refers to breeds of cattle that are genetically predisposed to large amounts of marbling. Apparently, to further enhance the quality of the meat, these cattle are massaged regularly and fed a diet of beer and sake. Although "Kobe-style" beef is quite popular now in the US, it is still rather rare to find the real deal. I'd had genuine Japanese beef before in the States, but wanted to try it here as well.

Here we see the main menu. Basically, there are four options for a course meal: sukiyaki, shabu shabu, steak, or kaiseki. Obviously, I had to order the most expensive option, the "Utage" steak course

he calls his steak medium rare and it's barely pink inside

from a recent one

We closed with a traditional apple pie, finished with the non-traditional topping of Hook's cheddar

and more

Well, my two friends wanted to celebrate their newfound wealth in an even bigger way, and thus put me in charge of setting up a $1,000 per person (food only) dinner at Urasawa. Ecstatic with this idea, I called up Hiro-san, but he declined the offer, saying that raising up food costs to the $1k level would require the use of some "questionable" ingredients. Given the recent, well-publicized shutter of The Hump, I didn't press the issue, and "settled" on the standard menu. We still wanted the meal to be extra special though, so we decided to pair the food with an absolutely amazing horizontal tasting of 1995 Champagnes.

this is on some previous level look up nouveau riche ignorant bumfuck douchebaggery. i am however super jealous of all the champagnes here (http://www.kevineats.com/2010/05/urasawa-beverly-hills-ca-6.html). clos du mesnil? clos d'ambonnay? oenotheque?

:facepalm: and then he lists all the prices in the end.

Last edited:

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else you can recommend?
As I said, the guy has eaten prodigiously. His insights are dwarfed by the food he photographs.
And for gods sake say why you mean what you mean rather than **** like "nouveau riche ignorant bumfuck douchebaggery" - that makes you sound like a mouth breathing knuckle-dragger with an axe to grind.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score

As I said, the guy has eaten prodigiously. His insights are dwarfed by the food he photographs.
And for gods sake say why you mean what you mean rather than **** like "nouveau riche ignorant bumfuck douchebaggery" - that makes you sound like a mouth breathing knuckle-dragger with an axe to grind.

I would recommend the LA Times food section. AFAIK, the food editor there seems to know a thing or two.

And Kevin is bad because he has truly very little knowledge of anything. But he has money (more than tons of it), and thinks that he should eat at the highest level wherever he travels. However, he has no taste. Just reading his stuff irks me. How anyone can have those experiences and still remain so clueless to basically.... everything, is depressing. What indesertum means by nouveau riche ignorant bumfuck douchebaggery is that Kevin has money, knows that he is supposed to be spending it on "living well," but in reality he is ignorant about restaurants and eating, and his sense of self importance makes him a doucher. Who knows, maybe it's all jealousy, because God knows that I wish I had half the dining experiences that he does. But the way he talks just makes him so obviously clueless. And God knows that if I did have the opportunity to dine as well as he does, I sure as **** wouldn't insist on starting every meal (and then rating the restaurant based on) with a mojito.

I don't blame the guy for eating like he does. I certainly would if I had the opportunity. And if he's loving life, then more power to him. But I put absolutely no stock in anything he has to say.

Last edited:

SeanathonHuff

Reaction score
Spicy Salmon, Salmon & Avocado (inauthentic, I know)

Any elaborate rolls without shrimp, dairy that I should try out? I'm allergic to those two things, but other crustaceans are fine. :facepalm:

Last edited:

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
<-- not a sushi fan

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'd never even seen that Krug blanc de noirs though, ****. That sushi looks pretty meh though- that dude took a pic of each piece of sashimi swimming in the sauce bowl, lol.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score

I'd never even seen that Krug blanc de noirs though, ****. That sushi looks pretty meh though- that dude took a pic of each piece of sashimi swimming in the sauce bowl, lol.

You'd never seen it for sale, or didn't know it existed? IIRC, 95 is their first vintage of the Ambonnay.

The cellar at CT had several bottles. Every month when I did inventory, it was truly hard not to accidentally drop it and then just spend the next hour licking the floor.

Last edited:

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

i would agree with you that his insights are dwarfed by photography. pictures and food labels are always fun to look at. i enjoy his blog in the same way i enjoy the jersey shore. complete with self ashamed tears and guilty masturbating. in the corner. with the lights out.

i put up those quotes as an example of "look up" douchebaggery. a facepalm tree would not be enough facepalms.

the usual cliche misinformation about kobe beef replete with the "i've tried real japanese kobe beef in the US before this" when imported kobe beef has been banned on and off in the US and highly unavailable. he probably had american wagyu and had no idea. let's say he actually had something like imported A5 kobe beef from hyogo. wow he's tried real kobe beef before this? so coool.

english farmhouse cheddar with apple pie is a longstanding tradition.

there was another post where he was reviewing the sake and he said something like "it's a wonderful interplay of rice, alcohol, and yeast" for a $300 bottle of sake. thanks. i had no idea what sake is made of.

he just spend a **** ton of money on admittedly nice places, but it's like everything he eats is beyond him even though after eating at all these places he should have some idea. the sf equivalent of kevineats would be hermesman. only hermesman doesn't pretend to know what he's talking about. he just doesn't actually know. i think

there was one post where at the end of a random meal he showed a DRC he paid for ("$4500 is actually quite cheap for something that goes up to $7000" - oh really? furreals? nowayz.... $4500 is so damn cheap then) and then he proceeds to quote robert parker word for word and include the score (golly gee willikers! 99 points? only $4500? a bargain). and then in the comments he talks about how he does this all the time and already sold 36 bottles of richebourg and la tache. :facepalm:. everything that is wrong with the wine world encapsulated in two pictures and a few sentences. pure genius in its idiocy

if this still doesn't convey my point to you i have no idea how else to explain this.

Last edited:

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
he's Seouleats, except he pays 1000x more for his meals.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not as bad as the Ulterior Epicure, but very, very close.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey, lets get this thread back to talking about mediocre sushi

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
went to the store the other day and there were these spciy shrimp sushi that they don't always make... A. Ma. Zing.

All I can say about them. The mayo was so tasty and there was just enough Tabasco.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads