1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Let's talk about sushi...

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by contactme_11, Oct 26, 2011.

1. otc

otc Senior member

yeah but that is from yelpers....

2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

+1. The idiocy of the average yelper is basically equal to if KevinEats cloned himself and had a baby with his clone.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  3. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

I think I would rather have a California roll :happy:

4. dacox

dacox Senior member

When I'm in Chicago I usually go to Sai Cafe in Lincoln Park.

5. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

[​IMG]

I think he wrote the review at the bottom of the movie.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  6. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Why don't you spend less time seraching for jpegs and more time responding to texts you bitchass bitch!!!!

7. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

My bad brah lmme go check my phone. I've taken some sort of medication to fall asleep, not working. Grrr

PS fuck you

8. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Nvmind, checked my phone and realized I didn't even send it, I accidentally saved it as a draft.

9. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Douche.

For those of you playing at home, I've taken 1 more little white pill. Let's see what that does.

10. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

That is the most disgusting sushi I've ever seen. I've seen better looking stuff out in Western Mass.

11. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I ate some sushi made by Mexicans when I was in Chicago once. Don't get me wrong, I love my Mexican brothers and sisters and rank some Mexican foods very highly on my list of all time favorite foods, but I don't really want to eat their sushi. Likewise, you guys really wouldn't want to eat Japanese Mexican food. It's putrid.

12. SeanathonHuff

SeanathonHuff Senior member

:embar:

13. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

there are no elaborate rolls you should try out.

american japanese fusion rolls are not standardized (besides maybe california rolls). people just put random compost in rolls and call it flying dragon rolls or spicy thai surprise rolls and stuff. if you want just ask the waiting person what rolls they think is good

i went to a mediocre sushi restaurant with a few friends once and a guy asked the waiter if they had godzilla rolls. :facepalm:. apparently a delicacy in some random sushi restaurant in bumfuck michigan.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  14. otc

otc Senior member

I feel like the correct response to "Do you have _____ rolls?" is always to say yes and pick a random special roll off the menu and bring it out with a $2 upcharge.

15. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

^^ "Godzilla Rolls" :crackup:

16. KJT

KJT Senior member

Plebe here. I don't know that I've ever had actual good sushi... I've been to many middle to higher end places in DC (not the most expensive like Makato), and it's basically all the same to me. There is an obvious difference between grocery store stuff and what I get in a decent restaurant, but beyond that I can't really tell a difference. Upon reflection I feel like sushi is often really a conduit for the soy sauce and wasabi. Salty and spicy.

So what do I look for? I don't order rolls with 4 types of fish or anything, I'm happy with the plain rolls, and I like sashimi (again though, probably because of soy and wasabi). Is it really a matter of going to the best place possible to set the status quo? I'm wondering if ignorance is bliss in this regard.

I've never had anything resembling that picture above.

17. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Thread needs more pics.

Dunno what that orange stuff is, but it doesn't look good. Get rid of that and it isn't too bad.

[​IMG]

OMG! These look SSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOO good! Hungry yet? ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But here's the real piece de la resistance, the creme de la creme, the best of the best, what I wish I could :drool: like a jillion times!

[​IMG]

18. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

^ That last one resembles the lasagna monster from Star Trek.

19. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

But it looks soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good! I mean, who would have ever thought to put jalapenos on sushi! Brilliant!

20. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

I'm certainly no expert, but I think it's quite possible that the quality of fish would be pretty indistinguishable across a number of mid-level sushi places in a particular city. But a better place might have specials with rarer, tastier fish they've sourced. And you could certainly judge a place by quality of preparation--if they've cut the fish properly (nothing gristly, not clumsily hacked). But if you're eating sushi, then rice is a decisive factor--temperature, texture, and seasoning. Sushi can be downright gross if the rice is off.

I suppose the short answer would be to stop overdoing it with the soy sauce and wasabi sludge so you can taste the ingredients.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011