1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Let's talk about sushi...

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by contactme_11, Oct 26, 2011.

1. davesmith

davesmith Senior member Affiliate Vendor

3rd picture looks very messy. The rest look good though. I am pretty sure that orange stuff is a type of caviar...

2. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

going to 15 East for a new years eve dinner. Should be lovely.

3. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

@KJT it's not so much what you order as it is where you go. the sushi should be pretty obviously different from the majority of the stuff you've had from the fish to the rice to the gari (ginger). if you go to a good place the biggest surprise you should have is how good the rice is. for traditional sushi chef training it takes years to even get to touch the rice and it takes years more to be able to prepare it perfectly. the fish shouldn't be pre-filleted. if they sell rolls like california rolls and spicy tuna rolls i'm pretty sure you're not going to get what you're looking for. be prepared to spend a lot of money although some of the best sushi i've had was only $4, 5 a piece compared to $10, 15 at some of the most renown places.

did you make reservations? i wanted to go to 15 east for the day after new year's or something

4. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I've had some of the best sushi in the world for about $4 a piece. It's good to be local, of course, but the $15 turnip pickle wrapped flamed-chutoro maki in 1/2" of ponzu dish is a not a good spend.

5. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

this isn't sushi talk but i had a complete rip off of nobu's black cod with miso dish and fuck me if it wasn't pretty damn good. i can imagine some of his sushi is actually pretty damn good even if it costs like $15 a piece.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  6. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

Where'd you have this tasty knock-off?

7. 4Mica

4Mica Senior member

One of the former chefs at Nobu here in Vegas has a place called Sen of Japan that has it.

8. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

Those type of dishes are pretty easy to make though. Just buy miso-zuke or if you like sake flavor, get kasu-zuke and grill up the fish. I bet a place like Nobu just uses farmed anyway (as even most Japanese shops only sell farmed), but if you look you can get a much better piece of fish than what somewhere like Nobu uses (of course I don't know in the States). Also, the grilling technique at somewhere like Nobu is not going to be anything special (same quality as doing it at home). You have to go to a nice Kappo or Ryoutei to get professional quality grilling, which unfortunately are only available in Japan.

9. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

10. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

^that's how all fusion rolls should be served

i'm sure some of it (like seabass) is farmed, but i'm fairly sure that a lot of the seafood is higher end stuff. i remember reading an interview or something where an executive officer was quoted as saying the scallops are caught by divers in britain.

i think i'll actually try the recipe (was at a terribly mediocre nobu, masa wannabe hipster american japanese fusion joint a bit north of nyc).

11. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't think there is a large black cod (what is called black cod at Nobu) farming industry. Most of it is caught from just north of San Francisco to Alaska, and then shipped to Japan, so it is not likely to be fresher over there than here.

12. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

yes

13. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

I think you guys are right. I was probably getting mixed up with overseas fish and farmed. I remember walking by a famous place in Japan that specializes in making the miso-zuke using all overseas fish. Not just for the cod, but for their whole showcase.

14. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

The black cod at Nobu is a good dish. But it is so simple to make at home that by the time you buy a single portion at his restaurant, you could cook a whole side of cod and have spent the same amount. I've had both, and there is no difference.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  15. impolyt_one

that tends to be the way a lot of restaurant food works man. They need to make money yo

16. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

This. If it comes to the point where you can't make it cheaper at home, you better order as much of it as you can, cause that restaurant ain't gonna be around long.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  17. Eason

Eason Senior member

Park n' shop gets me like 1/2 lb of salmon sashimi for around 5 USD, fuck paying more unless I can actually taste the difference.

18. impolyt_one

piggly wiggly probably around the same

19. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

Just shoplift the salmon like the guy in The Corrections does--stick it in your pants and walk out the door and voila! Free sushi.

20. Mary Ledger

Mary Ledger New Member

1/2 of salmon at 5 usd? is that place still opened?
    Mary

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014