• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's Talk About Replica Watches...

HughJ

Reaction score

This threak is starting to sound like a broken record.

Where were you 20+ pages ago? :fistbump:

I don't have a problem with the Alpha homages because they're clearly labeled as such and priced accordingly. The fakes.....well, frankly it's dull. I mean for a few hundred bucks you can find a vintage watch, get it spit and polished, and have something unique and interesting on your wrist. The need to use brand names to impress people so badly that you'd buy a fake is sad. But not as sad as posting a conversation with your sock puppet.

Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Fakes are nowhere near their real counterparts in looks, and most people can in fact tell the difference.
I disagree. Most can't tell the difference. But those who know the piece can certainly tell after examining it ... some pieces are so bad those who know the original can tell at a glance.

He has a Rolex and Brietling fake.
He also told me owners of the identical watch did not know the difference.
This does not surprise me. Most people know very little about what they are wearing. But those do do know -- very few in number -- well ... see above.

But Reev, after reading your friend's story ... I can tell you with absolute certainty that he does NOT know watches. At one point he made a critical error that tells me he is far from knowing watches.

--

Of course, if one is wearing a watch to prove something to others ... one needs a shrink more than a good watch.

Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This moots the entire discussion about moral issues and all. Forget trademarks, you're wearing crap and it shows.
I would disagree. You choose to wear 'crap' and it's your business alone. The only harm to others might be to their sense of aesthetics. Of course, that's not real harm. However, you choose to wear an illegal product and it becomes the business of others ... as others are harmed.

If I discovered that an employee wore counterfit merchandise, I'd fire them. After all, I'd have no reason to trust them. If I discovered that a friend wore counterfit merchandise ... I'd reevaluate the friendship and shut them out rather promptly.

Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Originally Posted by TRINI
What about the poser feeling you'll get from wearing a replica?

panerai = other people perceive you as douche/poser

replica rolex = only I know. I think I can live with that. Other people still perceive me as a classy Rolex guy.
Rolex classy? Perhaps classy with a very heavy New Jersey accent. Or to look at it another way ... it's about as classy as this musical number was intended to be:

Last edited:

pkiula

Reaction score

Apparently, the CEO of hublot could not spot a fake piece from the real deal and employees of my local tourneau keep telling me how hard it has gotten of late to spot fakes without having to inspect the movement especially with ETA based watches and franken fakes with mish mash of genuine parts. I am afraid the OP is correct, fakes have gotten scarily accurate with very minor tells that would never be spotted on the wrist.

Maybe so. If you stick in a small town with not many discerning folks in your circle, sure it can work. It won't work in any city for too long.

Fakes are far from real quality today. It's easy to tell. Sorry mate.

As I mentioned earlier, real Japanese replicas exist, but are hard to find. Those are indeed difficult to tell. But those are NOT found on the cheesy websites mentioned by the OP. Watches by Jessica, Brittany, etc are all crap and the disingenuous website that was shared earlier in the thread is fake as the watches.

Last edited:

icenyne

Reaction score
I just read all 28 pages of this thread and learned you people are really funny.

By you people, I mean...never mind.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If I discovered that an employee wore counterfit merchandise, I'd fire them. After all, I'd have no reason to trust them. If I discovered that a friend wore counterfit merchandise ... I'd reevaluate the friendship and shut them out rather promptly.

Better not come here then, you'd have no employees or friends. Mind you if you're in the USA or UK, you could well be sued for wrongful dismissal.

Last edited:

b9w4

Reaction score
I'm late to the game here, but I was just having this discussion with my Dad. My argument that if you care that much about what people think about you, use the few hundred you would have spent on a fake watch on something quality Ray-Ban or Persol sunglasses. He is willing to bet that even if you wore a $15K watch every day (which many of his co-workers do), you would get less comments on it than you would on a well done $30 haircut.

Godot

Reaction score

Better not come here then, you'd have no employees or friends. Mind you if you're in the USA or UK, you could well be sued for wrongful dismissal.

Um er Having counterfeit merchandise is a crime here. I know a Korean woman that got busted and lost a lot of money in legal fees not to mention her shop. IMO if an employee is committing a crime on your premiss, the termination would be for cause. You'd have to cross all the T's and dot all the i's and it would likely be contested but I think you could do it in the USA.

Having said that, there are so many decent watches at the low end these days, why bother with a fake? On the subject of buying really high end watches, I've got a few that are worth a couple of thousand (high to me) and the only two people that have ever noticed was a hooker (also a friend) and another guy wearing the same watch at some clothing event. LOL :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads