• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's Talk About Replica Watches...

kulata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The irony of this whole fake/replica/counterfeit deal is the genuine watchmakers benefit from the trade. Yes, they do coz an average replica buyer is never satisfied with the fake watch, obsesses over the imperfections and ultimately ends up buying the real deal. This happens in most cases and these are the typical consumers that would never consider spending that amount on a watch if they had not indulged in replicas.
Rolex isn't worried and so is swatch group. I say live and let live.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The irony of this whole fake/replica/counterfeit deal is the genuine watchmakers benefit from the trade. Yes, they do coz an average replica buyer is never satisfied with the fake watch, obsesses over the imperfections and ultimately ends up buying the real deal. This happens in most cases and these are the typical consumers that would never consider spending that amount on a watch if they had not indulged in replicas.

Actually.... no.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
I attempted to read this whole thread but around page 5 things started looking like a broken record. Anyways, my $0.02 (and apologies if this has been mentioned on here up to this point):

I used to wear fake watches all the time in middle and high school. I felt really cool for having a "Rolex." It was purely for looks and for making people think I had the status/means to wear nice watches. This is embarrassing to admit but I can 100% say it is the truth. And I think 95% of the people wearing fake watches fall into this group (granted some of them are far older than I was when I was wearing them).

The last fake watch I wore was a GMT that I wore every day for my last 2 years in college. However, I wore this watch for a far different set of reasons than why I wore fakes when I was younger. I actually was given a (real) Omega Speedmaster for my high school graduation that I wore for the first couple of years of college. And I beat the **** out of the thing. It actually pains me to think of how badly I treated the watch and, accordingly, it looks to have quite a bit of mileage on it these days.

I started wearing the fake when I found it moving out of my fraternity house and I really liked the way it looked. Even more importantly, I could pass out in all the gutters I could imagine without worry of losing or beating the **** out of my actually good watch. To be honest if the watch would have broken or stopped ticking I would have replaced it with a Timex or something but it was free, it was there, it looked good and I'll be damned if the thing ever lost a minute the two years I wore it.

I would never wear fake watches now that I have an appreciation for what makes them so nice and the means to purchase real watches. However, using a nice looking fake watch as a beater during a period of my life when I was making questionable decisions 90% of the time served me well.

Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

RSS,
I really doubt anyone here cares about the whole legality, trademark fraud, etc
Trust me, that is the last thing on anyone's mind with regard to this issue.
That is the last reason someone would not wear a fake.
The fact that they don't care is obvious ... otherwise they wouldn't have purchased thing. The point is they should care. But their faux persona is just too important to their 'perceived' well being ... and they do it anyway. It's SLEEZY guys. If you own one ... you're sleezy.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The last fake watch I wore was a GMT that I wore every day for my last 2 years in college. However, I wore this watch for a far different set of reasons than why I wore fakes when I was younger.
Not really ... if you think about it ... and you are totally honest.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Ah ... lets try and justify it.

BTW I know more than a few people -- including owners -- in the watch business; they are NOT happy about replicas. When some trasy 'douch' -- like those of you who wear replicas -- puts on his fake ... it tarnishes the image of the original.

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

Not really ... if you think about it ... and you are totally honest.

Haha I suppose I should have said different primary motivations. Granted I was still wearing a fake watch, so from a psychological standpoint take that as you will. :embar:

However, when you're routinely not sleeping at home, drinking a lot (and making the decisions that come with that) and totally uneducated about watch care in general, it makes little sense to wear anything of worth on a regular basis. (The damage I did to my real watch my first 2 years at college underlined this.) At the end of the day it was a sharp-looking free watch that had zero monetary or sentimental value to me.

kulata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ah ... lets try and justify it.

BTW I know more than a few people -- including owners -- in the watch business; they are NOT happy about replicas. When some trasy 'douch' -- like those of you who wear replicas -- puts on his fake ... it tarnishes the image of the original.

It's no justification for replica wearers, it's just the simple truth. Most people that can afford genuine watches will buy genuine and ppl that buy fakes will end up buying the real deal.

I personally won't buy a fake coz I believe in buying things I can afford and not projecting a false image to anybody but I won't crucify someone that buys a fake. It's his/her business

Taylorstav

Reaction score
People that buy fakes are not going to all of a sudden drop $7,000+ on a watch. But I do agree that the fakes do help establish the real deal's presence in the market. People that will buy a fake generally don't have the means to buy the real thing. Nowhere close. People that buy the real thing wouldn't be caught dead in a fake.

I think that there are two very different kinds of people that buy watches. There are those who come at it from a rational point of view that say "If I can buy a high quality swiss replica of a rolex at 1/10th the cost, why not? I'm surely not taking a 90% dip in quality"

Then there are those who care about heritage, movement, and absolute precision, and price is not an issue.

I have a hard time believing that there is much crossover in these two markets.

Myself, I understand the draw of a replica. But I choose to own authentic items within my price range. I have a very simple Raymond Weil. It has no bells and whistles, it has the sort of understated elegance that I enjoy, and initially I was left wanting more after seeing other watches with so much presence. But then I realized something, the people that compliment me on my watch are people that understand and love watches. I once was told that my watch looks like a piece of crap from a girl that was showing off her new Michael Kors watch to me. Honestly, it made me love my watch more.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
People that buy fakes are not going to all of a sudden drop $7,000+ on a watch. But I do agree that the fakes do help establish the real deal's presence in the market. People that will buy a fake generally don't have the means to buy the real thing. Nowhere close. People that buy the real thing wouldn't be caught dead in a fake.

I think that there are two very different kinds of people that buy watches. There are those who come at it from a rational point of view that say "If I can buy a high quality swiss replica of a rolex at 1/10th the cost, why not? I'm surely not taking a 90% dip in quality"

Then there are those who care about heritage, movement, and absolute precision, and price is not an issue.

I have a hard time believing that there is much crossover in these two markets.

Myself, I understand the draw of a replica. But I choose to own authentic items within my price range. I have a very simple Raymond Weil. It has no bells and whistles, it has the sort of understated elegance that I enjoy, and initially I was left wanting more after seeing other watches with so much presence. But then I realized something, the people that compliment me on my watch are people that understand and love watches. I once was told that my watch looks like a piece of crap from a girl that was showing off her new Michael Kors watch to me. Honestly, it made me love my watch more.
People that buy fakes are not going to all of a sudden drop $7,000+ on a watch. .
They can start with a $2000-$2500 Omega or Breitling
Or a $100 Timex. There is no justification, at least in my mind, for purchasing a known fake. None.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Reev, your friend who tells you that his $300 fake is the equal of the real thing is BSing you. But given that he wears rip-off watches, lying is a part of his daily life. I'm surprised this doesn't occur to you.

Last edited:

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would never buy a fake watch that said ROLEX on it if it wasn't a real Rolex. But I would buy a watch from a lesser manufacturer for a lower cost that looked similar to what Rolex has to offer.

kasakka

Reaction score

Of course, you are aware that replica -- or fake -- is a euphemism for counterfeit. It is, quite simply, illegal.

Of course the buyer is -- as you say -- a douchbag (not really a part of my vocabulary but obviously it works for you) as he is violating trademark law.

So just because someone can't afford the real thing makes it okay to produce cheap rip-offs? Give me a break. What are you, a sleezy -- and cheap -- douchbag?

I never mentioned anything about the illegal thing - which can vary between countries. Yes, it's morally dubious and I'm not saying that faking a brand down to the logo is a good thing. However, meanwhile there are tons of brands making essentially replicas of Rolex Submariners and other watches but the only thing that makes them more legit is that they use a different brand name. The brand name is often the protected part, not the design. Like I said, to me the Breitling name stamped on the watch was not important, I just liked the design. I tried looking for similar watches but couldn't find any that were close enough to what I liked. So I took a gamble at the replica thing and liked what I got.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads