1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Lets talk about COFFEE

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Flambeur, Dec 2, 2009.

1. lefty

lefty Senior member

Two levels of foil and bags and saran?

I use a sealed plastic container. 12oz lasts me about 4-5 days, so I don's sweat it that much. Besides, the coffee I tend to buy is Stumptown as that's what the shop across the street sells and they see fit to sell it in a waxed paper bag folded over a few times. Hardly airtight.

lefty

2. b1os

b1os Senior member

You can. I'd use your mouth though, sticking your tongue in the bag not be the optimal solution w/r/t humidity.
    Even better would be to use water pressure (like with fake sous vide), that is dump the bag in water until the zipper is almost level with the water surface. The water pressure will press all the air out. Just be careful not to go below water level.

Also be careful not to accidentally breath into the bag, otherwise you should wait a few minutes or so. But as A Y and I've said before, I wouldn't worry too much.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  3. lefty

lefty Senior member

If my bag of coffee can't take anyone breathing in it's general direction it's time to switch to milk.

Last week at my cabin: pot of water + pre-ground coffee + added heat until nearly boiled + time to settle = mighty fine coffee.

[​IMG]

lefty

1 person likes this.
  4. romafan

romafan Senior member

lefty - that sounds like cowboy coffee. did you throw in an eggshell? we go through about a pound a week, so i don't worry too much about storage. used to keep beans in freezer, but for last year they go in an empty glass peanut jar(?) in a dark cabinet [​IMG]

5. b1os

b1os Senior member

I've read that peanut jars aren't proper storage jars. Please use any other jar you can find.

6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I get the feeling that you might not be joking there.

7. b1os

b1os Senior member

How could you tell?

Marmalade jars on the other hand are great.

8. patrickBOOTH

9. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Cowboy coffee ftw. Just strain out the grounds with your teeth while you are sipping. Like a MAN. I actually love coffee made in one of those old school percolators over a fire or campstove. This is certainly almost exclusively an emotional attachment, but what food isn't emotional?

10. romafan

romafan Senior member

I peeled off the label so no worries

1 person likes this.
  11. A Y

A Y Senior member

That's an exaggeration. Coffee flavors just diminish with time. A great coffee whose flavors are dampened is still way better than anything you can find in a supermarket.

2 people like this.
  12. lefty

lefty Senior member

Eggshells ocassionslly. To be honest, I'm not sure they do much, but they look cool. I didnt strain either so the last few cups were a little crunchy.

I too miss percolators.

lefty

13. WiredandTired

WiredandTired Senior member

Freezing beans is mandatory if one is pulling their own shots. If it's drip coffee, I'll let the bag stay out. I'll go through a 12 oz bag in about 1.5 weeks if I drink my morning cup.

I ended up freezing to get the crema and freshness that espresso demands. Sadly my espresso machine is mostly unused as the summer rolls in and I'm cold-brewing coffee overnight instead of making espresso.

14. b1os

b1os Senior member

First time I'm using a light espresso roast. Quite different, not only tastewise but also in the preperation. With "regularly" roasted beans, my basket is well-filled with 15g. For the same filling level, I need 16g of the light roast. I also just pulled a ristretto that should've been fine regarding the parameters but it had almost no crema (and the bit that was there looked odd and was fleeting) and wasn't balanced (it's obviously fruity/acidic but this was very acidic). Oh well, bitchy beans I guess. Should'e bought a pound, not half a pound.

15. patrickBOOTH

What's "light" to you? I can only find three places in new york that don't pull light shots, cafe momo who uses Cafee Sacco, Starbucks, and my Nespresso machine. I am so sick of sour acid shots in this city.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  16. b1os

b1os Senior member

Edit: May bad. That was actually the filter roast (grabbed the wrong bag).

Left is "normal", middle is "light" filter roast, right is "light" espresso roast. Again, not sure how light they actually are, but they are lighter than what I usually use.

[​IMG]

17. patrickBOOTH

99.9% of new york espresso bars are middle and right.

18. b1os

b1os Senior member

Just pulled a nice ristretto. Crema odd again (broke up very quickly). Not that it matters (crema tastes bad anyway), but I've never really had problems with crema so far. The taste is really acquired. I can understand why you're no fan, pB. Maybe interesting every now and then.

19. patrickBOOTH

It's not bad, it is just too prevalent.

20. patrickBOOTH

I am going to Seattle next month any coffee shops I should drop into?