• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about COFFEE

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Received another bag of beans from Oslo

Have no idea how Tim Wendelboe roasts beans or what he does but this is notably different than other espresso beans and all in a good way.

This is lighter than the previous bag I tried and soooo smooth. Zero bitterness, lighter mouthfeel and I taste the coffee with no inconsistency or attributes from the process of pulling the shot. Meaning it is very forgiving and consistent regardless of what is going on with the extraction. Wish this was more accessible, would use his beans all the time.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

One should never freeze the beans in the Freezer. C'mon man. Get the beans out of the fridge, pronto.

Alright, Mr. Pavoni-expert. I can tell you this -- I have, once again, tried to store them outside the fridge. Airtight container. Cold, dark spot. One day went by and I had to adjust my Vario Home v2. Not just a fine setting or two, but three or four (which normally changes it from 25/25 to 25/0 or 25/100 in the coarser direction). Needless to say, endless calibration was in order, multiple times a day. I don't like dumping 100g of coffee per day just to get three good doppio ristretti. YMMV
The last batch of beans, I once again put in the fridge in an airtight container. Hardly any changes after a day or two in grinding settings. So... I appreciate your sentiments and you definitely state a reasonable point, but don't be offended if I use the technique that works best for me.

Last edited:

ryogrif

Reaction score
The beans are going to oxidize regardless, all you can really do is slow the process down as much as possible, but there are honestly so many variables within beans that they break down by themselves, in the freezer, fridge or otherwise. I think any beans kept (fridge, freezer, or otherwise) around longer than a month after the roast date aren't worth the hassle of having to recalibrate to hell and back to brew, at best, a mediocre cup.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My coworker wanted to know how many espressos I drink daily over the course of a week - Mean, Median, Mode, as well as how many sips it takes me to finish each one Mean, Median, and Mode. CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And please compare it to the other 51 weeks of the year. If you can do it for your coworker, you can do it for me too, can't you? :)

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My coworker wanted to know how many espressos I drink daily over the course of a week - Mean, Median, Mode, as well as how many sips it takes me to finish each one Mean, Median, and Mode. CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

You mean you didn't already know this off the top of your head? Pleb status.

dustinmyself

Reaction score

So, saw that despos raved about Oslo coffee, ordered some that "tickled my fancy"

Can't wait to try it! (The mail lady said her whole van reeked of coffee!)

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live close to the super old school D'Amico roaster in Carroll Gardens. Definitely not quite as good, or trendy, as many of the roasters that have opened up lately, but I love that they have been there forever. You can walk in there and see them roasting coffee right up front, and the old Italian dudes in there always awesome.

Plus, the coffee is cheap--it's like $9/lb for their house stuff, and it's quite good.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I live close to the super old school D'Amico roaster in Carroll Gardens. Definitely not quite as good, or trendy, as many of the roasters that have opened up lately, but I love that they have been there forever. You can walk in there and see them roasting coffee right up front, and the old Italian dudes in there always awesome.

Plus, the coffee is cheap--it's like $9/lb for their house stuff, and it's quite good.

I am right around the corner at Strong Place and Degraw. I can smell when D'Amicos roasts some days. Their Costa Rican isnt bad but prefer Stumptown's columbia el Jordan.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Man...who uses Mode for anything?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads