• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about COFFEE

CDHagg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the coffee scene in NYC is pretty good. There's really only one good coffee shop (that I know of) here in Houston - Catelina on Washington Ave., just west of the conservative business dress. They roast their own coffee, and some of the expensive single-origin beans that they offer are simply spectacular when I buy the beans and pull the shot myself at home. The shots pulled at the coffee shop have the potential to be better than anything I can make at home, since they have better equipment, but it's usually hit-and-miss. Lately, it's been more miss than hit.

If there are any Houstonians following this thread, are there any other places besides Catelina where I can get a good shot?

tangtang

Reaction score
but I can't detect any unless they're talking about burnt flowers. Very low acid, with an almost ashy mouthfeel.

tangtang

Reaction score
I've been getting BB beans from their main roastery for years. They originally sold out of a small garage down the block from my office. Might be a location thing as my beans are not dark at all.

CDHagg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could I get some recommendations for coffee shops in NYC? Looking for some really good espresso (bonus points for a great atmosphere, great food, etc,).

alexg

Reaction score
Stumptown. It's in the Ace Hotel, and if you want you can order it while sitting in the lobby which has food from the restaurant there. Not a traditional coffeeshop environment, but not a bad place to sit for a while relaxing or doing work if you don't mind noise.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Could I get some recommendations for coffee shops in NYC? Looking for some really good espresso (bonus points for a great atmosphere, great food, etc,).

The third wave joints basically. Joe the art of coffee (all locations) everyman espresso, abraco, ninth street espresso, blue bottle, grumpy, gimme coffee...

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

This Tumblr has quick impressions of espressos every day from various places in NYC:
http://acuppaday.tumblr.com/

I am not sure if it is sad or not, but I can determine where a lot of those are just by the surfaces that they appear on. I feel Variety in Williamsburg currently is preparing the best espresso. I go there almost daily and I am pretty good friends with the whole staff. I am there so much I have even appeared in people's yelp reviews of the place. Apparently I am a fixture.

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I'm totally going there now so I can flick popcorn into Booth's hair.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The third wave joints basically. Joe the art of coffee (all locations) everyman espresso, abraco, ninth street espresso, blue bottle, grumpy, gimme coffee...

What the hell is a third wave coffee joint?

Need recommendation for new beans. I have been drinking Guatemalan for a while as I like the low acidity and softness of the coffee. Use a press mostly and a chemex occasionally.

lefty

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

What the hell is a third wave coffee joint?

Need recommendation for new beans. I have been drinking Guatemalan for a while as I like the low acidity and softness of the coffee. Use a press mostly and a chemex occasionally.    

lefty

I would recommend African beans. They are always my favorite. Ethiopia has some great ones as well as Kenya.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Specifics? I have access to all the bullshitty coffee wankers in SF: BB, 4B, RR.

lefty

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
rolleyes.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_wave_coffee

Thanks. Looking forward to the backlash Fourth Wave where you get a decent cup of coffee for a buck with no attitude.

lefty

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads