Lets talk about COFFEE

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Flambeur, Dec 2, 2009.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

The Yirgacheffe region in Ethiopia seems to grown some good coffee. A lot of the roasters carry beans from there. I know BB does, but I have never been impressed with BB. Stumptown has a good one right now.

But yeah, third wave coffee is pretty much as you put it, bullshitty coffee wankers.

2. lefty

lefty Senior member

Thanks. I'll check it out.

lefty

3. A Y

A Y Senior member

I'm not sure about Yirgacheffe as that tends to be a bit more sparkly and acidy, but the Africans seem to be softer than their Central American counterparts, with a few exceptions. A natural process (as opposed to fully washed or wet process) bean tends to be softer, as is a darker roasting process. Blends, as opposed to single-origins, will also soften up flavors a bit. Most 3rd wave roasters will lightly roast fully-washed single-origin beans.

You could also let the bean sit on the shelf a bit (a couple of weeks to a month) as that tends to blunt off some of the more extroverted flavors giving you softer flavors.

I hesitate to recommend something right now because most Central American beans are pretty damn bright, so our palettes and preferences may be different, but Brazilian coffee might be up your alley. Which Guatemalan bean are you drinking right now?

A Yemen mocha or the classic mocha-java blend might be worth considering, too.

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  4. patrickBOOTH

Have you had the honduras el sauce from gimme? I think it is amazing.

5. A Y

A Y Senior member

I don't think I've ever had any Gimme coffee. Another bean to add to the list! I have to say that I've not had great luck with Central American beans, except for silly things like Panama geshas.

6. patrickBOOTH

That's what I said until I tried Gimme. They seem to offer a lot from there. Their Panama Hartman Honey is excellent as well.

7. lefty

lefty Senior member

No idea as to which bean. 4 Barrel from Antigua. I sampled some local coffee while in Guatemala and liked what I tasted. Right now I'm drinking Rwanda Gakenke Musasa, but I find it a little too bitter. Or I don't have it dialed in.

I would love to find some Balinese coffee if anyone knows of a source.

lefty

8. b1os

b1os Senior member

Has Nespresso ever made collaborations with "small-scale" roast houses? I'd love to see a collabo with Caffè New York. Do you know it? I loved it back when we were in Italy, but that was a couple of years ago and no café here in Hamburg I know of uses it. However, I see it becoming more and more available in delicatessen stores etc.

9. patrickBOOTH

I am really surprised at how much they don't do. I feel they don't change all that much.

10. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

Does anyone actually consider nespresso to be a good source of high-quality coffee? They make little plastic capsules and fill them with coffee grounds - doesn't sound very artisanal to me.

11. patrickBOOTH

It is surprisingly good. They are hermetically sealed and they buy some of the best coffee beans out there. It isn't as good as some grail espressos that I have had, but the consistency from shot to shot is a millon times better than at the best cafes.

12. A Y

A Y Senior member

I imagine the variety of beans Nestle can offer is limited by their production volumes. A lot of 3rd wave roasters buy beans from really small farms or really small lots that could never support the volume that Nestle requires for Nespresso. The hard part for Nestle is maintaining consistent quality with the kinds of volumes they run. I would not be surprised if their coffee people know way more about coffee farming and processing than probably almost anyone else in the world.

As for a 3rd party coffee for Nestle, there are probably all sorts of technical and bureaucratic hoops to jump through that make it not worthwhile for small operations. Other single-cup systems do have 3rd party suppliers, but the quality of those single-cup systems (1st or 3rd party) are mostly crap.

13. patrickBOOTH

This all makes a lot of sense.

I dated this girl who was the nanny for the Nestle executive who was responsible for bringing Nespresso to New York. She had giant boobs, but turned out to be really crazy.

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  14. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i had an espresso today made with gimmee piccolo mondo. that was fraggin excellent. dark, great acidity, very chocolatey in aroma and texture. honestly i think its much more interesting than their leftist blend which isnt exactly bland, but nothing exciting about it either.

http://acuppaday.tumblr.com/post/22711308604/southpaw-from-pts-coffee-at-ost-cafe-the-barista

i dont think ive ever had a barista do that for me. must be nice

i got a lot of 'tude a few times and i've stopped communicating with baristas in general unless it's a really excellent shot or there's something unique

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  15. alexg

alexg Senior member

Is the Breville double boiler espresso machine any good? I had a sample of espresso from it today, but the beans weren't any good and the guy making it didn't know what he was doing so it's hard to judge.