• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets have an update. How is Vista working out for you guys?

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a new computer recently. I play a lot of PC games, and got Vista primarily for DX10 support, and to get Windows Media Center setup with my 360. The pretty Areo GUI didn't hurt either.

I have an Nvidia 9600 GT, and it has a driver issue that has been around since 2007("Display Driver nvlddmkm"), and only on Vista. When I play a game, it sometimes will not start. If it does, its only a matter of time until it pauses randomly, textures turn black, and it drops to desktop, or sometimes BSODs.

I'm not really bashing Vista since Nvidia shares some of the blame. My only other issue with visa was the loss of the old picture and fax viewer, and how thumbnail galleries were slow to load, even when indexed. I will keep updated on my problems to see if they are ever fixed, but I fear I might be one to wait it out for Windows 7. XP has always been a good OS, so I don't really mind too much.

Happydayz

Reaction score
Recently purchased a laptop that came pre-installed with Vista. Had some initial hesitation but honestly it's not that bad.

Would prefer XP all things considered simply because aside from the enhanced security I'm not seeing anything that Vista gives me that XP doesn't. However given that Vista is the future and MS is driving their efforts toward it I think Vista is a prudent investment for 95% of users

Septavius

Reaction score
I'm fine with Vista for the most part. I have it on a laptop I bought last year. Still use XP on my desktop. My two main gripes with Vista is that the Windows Photo Gallery will open up any movie files in the same folder as your photos. Also, sometimes I lose sound after coming out of sleep mode and need to restart it to get it back. That seems to be a common problem with Vista users. Both of these are so annoying...

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have only had one problem. Using a mapping program ARC GIS and Vista caused some problems between the two programs. However AR GIS is very old and very RAM hungry. So I imagine it was something like two hyenas fighting over a RAM carcass on my PC. Other than that none to speak of, this includes playing games (Minesweeper never looked so good).

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fantastic on both my laptop (an older dual core with 2 gigs) and my desktop (quad core with 4gigs). Never had a problem except with visual studio 2005 at the very start before they released the vista patch.

huy

Reaction score
I've had vista over a year now and its really not that bad. I only got a few bsod but that was my fault. My desktop is about 3-4 years old built before dual cores was popular and it still runs pretty fast most of the time. I have not had any problems installing anything, theres a driver available for everything I need.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have Vista as a dual boot on my PC. I haven't touched it since it was loaded on about 2 years ago. There is really no need for it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads