• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lesser suiting fabric

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am going to get my first custom suit this summer, and from what I've learned on so far, Lesser & Son produces one of the better fabrics for suiting. Where can I get it (besides directly from the tailor , to save a little money)? Does Tip Top carry it? Or Will Lesser sell it directly to me?

thanks

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tip Top gets a lot of cloth, and I've seen Lesser there before. I'd call ahead, although I've never tried that.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitingStyle
I am going to get my first custom suit this summer, and from what I've learned on so far, Lesser & Son produces one of the better fabrics for suiting. Where can I get it (besides directly from the tailor , to save a little money)? Does Tip Top carry it? Or Will Lesser sell it directly to me?

thanks

Get it from the tailor. You can save money on some cloth but rarely on Lesser.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Tip Top gets a lot of cloth, and I've seen Lesser there before. I'd call ahead, although I've never tried that.

Really? In a dozen or so trips, I have never seen Lesser there, and when I've asked about it, George says he never gets any. Occasionally, they do get Martin & Sons, which is a mill that weaves some (not all) of Lesser's cloth, but not always to the same specifications.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless your tailor charges an outrageous markup yet, for some odd reason, has no problem with CMT I wouldn't source a length of fabric that they carry.

I don't know know how much the average tailor marks up cloth from books but for me, saving a couple hundred dollars on a suit that costs a lot more that that isn't worth the hassle and potential marginal strain on your relationship with the tailor.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The fellow at HST is very responsive and accommodating.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitingStyle

thanks

In my visits to Tip Top I have never seen Lesser (or Holland & Sherry).

In any event, even if Tip Top had a couple of Lesser items it's hit and miss. You might buy a lovely houndstooth only because it's a bargain when you really wanted a standard navy.

I recommend ordering from the tailor.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
Also, Lesser does not sell to the USA public.

Its USA exclusive agent sells only to tailors.
plain.gif

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen (and purchased) several lenths of H&S cloth from Tip Top. It's not as common as the generic Italian stuff they have, but they do seem to get it periodically.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lesser sells directly to Canadians although they only accept funds by wire transfer. They also suggested (though I haven't tested this theory) that Jodek would sell directly to Canadians but I suspect that both of these options are due to the fact that there is no distributor here in the north. Get yourself a Canadian mule for this project...

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Really? In a dozen or so trips, I have never seen Lesser there, and when I've asked about it, George says he never gets any. Occasionally, they do get Martin & Sons, which is a mill that weaves some (not all) of Lesser's cloth, but not always to the same specifications.

That's all well and good, but I am inclined to trust Connemara on things like this.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
In that case, come on over to my office. I have yards and yards of "Lesser." A steal at $100 a yard. No, make that $75, and I'm still makin' good money.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This was probably three years ago; the owner of the store showed me a selection of fabric that he said was Lesser-made. Perhaps it was in fact Martin & Sons, and I was confused. Can't say for sure.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
In that case, come on over to my office. I have yards and yards of "Lesser." A steal at $100 a yard. No, make that $75, and I'm still makin' good money.

What kind of weirdo has yards and yards of fabric in his office? Are you some kind of garmento?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads