• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leaving the world of t-shirt and jeans

whoajunk

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here and hope that I'm posting this in the right place. Since high school my wardrobe has consisted of 98% t-shirts and jeans. The root of this is that I'm 5'11 130lbs and I wear a size 34 suit, so finding clothes that fit well is difficult. I've started to branch out in recent years and I have some things that I think are nice, but I'm really ready to step up my wardrobe game and get away from the routine of grabbing the first shirt I see and whatever pair of levis is on the top of the stack. Anyone have some advice on where to look and how to take some steps out of the jeans and t-shirt every day world?

If you have any questions for me let me know. Thanks for any advice.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What do you do for a living?

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I still wear jeans but I only wear button down shirts and dress shoes with them.

Vinnie Vegas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoajunk
I'm a graphic designer.
Probably not the best idea to go whole hog into three-piece-suits and $400 ties then.

I think the first step is to move away from t-shirts and into button downs and sport-coats/blazer territory.

Jeans are good, but make sure they're not too baggy/worn out. Slim-fit dark wash denim is the go.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vinnie Vegas
I think the first step is to move away from t-shirts and into button downs and sport-coats/blazer territory.

x2.

whoajunk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse
Well, I still wear jeans but I only wear button down shirts and dress shoes with them.

Yeah, I'm not going to completely abandon my jeans and t-shirts but I do want to wear them way less.

whoajunk

Reaction score
Probably not the best idea to go whole hog into three-piece-suits and $400 ties then. I think the first step is to move away from t-shirts and into button downs and sport-coats/blazer territory. Jeans are good, but make sure they're not too baggy/worn out. Slim-fit dark wash denim is the go.
Any recommendations on brands and such to look into. Also regarding the graphic designer thing. I'm starting to move into client facing roles and I make pretty good money, but yes 400 seem a bit much for a tie these days. Just to give a little context on what I have that I really like. Probably my favorite thing is a pair of Chronicle of Never Skeleton Key boots. I have a Zara button up shirt that fits pretty well. I have a G-Star canvas jacket and a G-star wool trench that I really like as they fit me better than any other jackets I've tried. I have a pair of slim fitting gray Filippa K pants. I also have a pair of endovanera cut off dress shorts and some wrath arcane gray seersucker shorts. Currently I'm wearing Gray Supra NS Cuttlers pretty much daily. I think that's about it. I really need to beef up the options though because I have several pieces but not many of them work well together. I'd also like to get out of the safe area of monochrome and wear something with color that isn't a t-shirt.

Vinnie Vegas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoajunk
dress shorts
Dress... Shorts? Does not compute
tongue.gif

Seriously though, as for recommendations, others around here can serve you better, as I'm not in your country, so I don't have the same reference frames.

whoajunk

Reaction score
Dress... Shorts? Does not compute
tongue.gif

Seriously though, as for recommendations, others around here can serve you better, as I'm not in your country, so I don't have the same reference frames.

haha well they are basically cut off dress pants. Sorry for the confusion. I bought them a little over a year ago, but here's a pic of a girl wearing something by the same label very similar. http://chicisimo.com/files/2009/09/0...ts-290x450.jpg

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some more slim button down shirts would be a good start. A few more of those filippa K pants in other colors would be good too, provided that you like the way they fit. Get a pair of black and dark brown dress shoes, and also a black and dark brown belt. This would be a pretty decent foundation in my opinion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads