• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
Let's get back on track then, someone convince me that I don't need this (or anymore leather) jacket.
28it9gx.jpg

This is where the Julius vs RO quality argument should end - look at this thing. From a construction standpoint, it's just a very, very intricate piece made with cleanliness and precision that Olmar and Mirta do not do. The way the seaming lays flat and cleanly intersects with the other seaming where it's supposed to, with intricate scale - that's a tight interconnect between patterning, grading (since they make a FSR of this jacket) and actual construction, and it's remarkable if this leather is as thick as I think it is. That takes significant care and attention.

modalsaliency

Reaction score
I've worn that model, and the main problem I had with it is that I kept falling asleep. It's like having a blanket draped around your face. It's very comfy.
frown.gif
Gothninja is the new knit shawl. Who knew. It's also a (relatively, for a Japanese designer) boxy cut, but that seems to be the norm for Julius these days with their calf. I had to take literally 3 inches out the back of a different size 1 last season. That combined with the leather thickness meant it was kind of a pain to lounge around in if you wore it closed, and that particular jacket looks completely ridiculous open.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by modalsaliency
I've worn that model, and the main problem I had with it is that I kept falling asleep. It's like having a blanket draped around your face. It's very comfy.
frown.gif

It's also a really boxy cut, but that seems to be the norm for Julius these days with their calf. I had to take literally 3 inches out the back of a size 1 last season.

Tell us more of your experience with leather tailoring.

jpb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
This is where the Julius vs RO quality argument should end - look at this thing. From a construction standpoint, it's just a very, very intricate piece made with cleanliness and precision that Olmar and Mirta do not do. The way the seaming lays flat and cleanly intersects with the other seaming where it's supposed to, with intricate scale - that's a tight interconnect between patterning, grading (since they make a FSR of this jacket) and actual construction, and it's remarkable if this leather is as thick as I think it is. That takes significant care and attention.

This is just nonsense. All the seams on my RO leathers are clean and precise, they lay flat and cleanly intersect where they are supposed to. None of them have come apart. The zips work, they leather holds up fine to everyday wear and tear. There is no aspect of their quality that I am dissatisfied with.
No one is going to choose between this and an RO leather because of quality, you're only going to buy this if you want that ridiculous cowl neck.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
what? and people don't buy certain RO jackets for their ridiculous cowl necks?
picture1rw.png
Amongst RO jackets, that is one of more complicated designs regarding patterning, piecing and stitching... but it has nothing on that Julius a page back.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpb
This is just nonsense. All the seams on my RO leathers are clean and precise, they lay flat and cleanly intersect where they are supposed to. None of them have come apart. The zips work, they leather holds up fine to everyday wear and tear. There is no aspect of their quality that I am dissatisfied with. No one is going to choose between this and an RO leather because of quality, you're only going to buy this if you want that ridiculous cowl neck.
FANBOY ALERT this is just among many intricate designs Julius offers. Tbh, I prefer RO high collars but you still have to appreciate both for what they are. I can't say any is superior to either because both are designing for different reasons. Some of RO jackets are way too boring and classic looking for my taste, though.

jpb

Reaction score
Not fanboy at all. Intricacy has nothing to do with quality.

This amounts to saying: "Julius is unarguably better quality than RO, look, this design in a completely different style that appeals to a different audience proves it."

The whole RO vs. Julius quality debate seems to be between people who don't own either. I don't see people who do own them moaning. They appeal to different aesthetics. Every time I go into one store in Moscow the SAs try to persuade me to change my RO for Julius but I don't like Julius precisely because of the intricacy. I'm quite happy for you to like it.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Julius doesn't put inside pockets on their jackets, what's up with that?
Ro inner pockets are big to the point of being unusable, although one time I fit a ps2 and a book inside when it was raining

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpb
Not fanboy at all. Intricacy has nothing to do with quality. This amounts to saying: "Julius is unarguably better quality than RO, look, this design in a completely different style that appeals to a different audience proves it." The whole RO vs. Julius quality debate seems to be between people who don't own either. I don't see people who do own them moaning. They appeal to different aesthetics. Every time I go into one store in Moscow the SAs try to persuade me to change my RO for Julius but I don't like Julius precisely because of the intricacy. I'm quite happy for you to like it.
I don't think either is better, and I think the debate is dumb as well. I was just saying the design aspects are different, and don't necessarily show the quality differences. I don't even like leathers enough to care. When I visit the stores I don't even handle them ever.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpb

This amounts to saying: "Julius is unarguably better quality than RO, look, this design in a completely different style that appeals to a different audience proves it."

The whole RO vs. Julius quality debate seems to be between people who don't own either. I don't see people who do own them moaning. They appeal to different aesthetics. Every time I go into one store in Moscow the SAs try to persuade me to change my RO for Julius but I don't like Julius precisely because of the intricacy. I'm quite happy for you to like it.

I've had Julius and RO pieces.... (like several years ago, when they were relevant) - you are missing the point that I was making, which is this: the Julius a page back oozes craftsmanship. I don't really care if you're a Rick fanboy, Julius fanboy, MMM fanboy; I am telling you what I think regarding leather jacket quality after having made a thousand leather jackets.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpb

Erm, the ability to effectively incorporate intricate details is absolutely about quality. You use this word; I do not think it means what you think it means. What could "style" and the "audience" a jacket appeals to possibly have to do with quality of craftsmanship? You're not speaking the same language, Impolyt_one was talking about the materials used and the way the leathers are put together and finished, you're talking about what they end up looking like.
The whole RO vs. Julius quality debate seems to be between people who don't own either.
In this case it's between a dude who owns a high-end leather jacket and a dude who makes high-end leather jackets for a living.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads