• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is more entertaining than Loki
Alright, here is my takes on Marvel Phase IV so far:
1) Wandavision - OMG so good. You mix horro and sitcoms and superheroes, and throw in both Randall Park, and you've got yourself an Emmy. Stick those episodes together, and you've got yourself a Golden Globe, at least. An best supporting actor for Agent Wu.

2) Falcon and the Winter Soldier - run of the mill odd couple buddy adventure story. Not amazing chemistry between Sebastian Stan and Anthony Mackie. Should definitely have recast with Colin Jost and Michael Che. Not a bad look at post Endgame world. You also can't really tell if they are being deliberately political, or not. Worst gripe - the new Captain America costume. Why is the helmet not protecting the top of the noggin? Why does it look like wrestling headgear?

3) Loki - more promising thant F&WS, at least so far. Good chemistry between Owen Wilson and Tom Hiddleson. I like that they shoot the TVA a bit like Legion, and set it somewhere in the kate 70s. Two episodes in, and there are so many questions already! Burdened with Glorious Purpose? Unclear, but it looks very promising.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The thing about leather is it will crease the stitches will settle in with the leather and parts will mold to your body, once you get caught in the rain a few times, the back will crease, the shoulders will settle in, the arms will develop the creases you want just like in the 38 size.

The impatience is something else, you're comparing something new to something broken in.

The 38 looks way too small.

New leather is like raw denim stiff and boxy till you put in the work.

Hey, I don't dispute all that. But it won't make up for incorrect sizing. Take everything you said and apply it to a pair of raw denim a size too big. Sure, you'll get your phat stacks and fades but it doesn't change the fact that your legs are swimming around in there like toothpicks.

The FCL in size 40 was frankly too big on me. Period. Breaking it in isn't going to shrink it enough.

Comparisons.png

Last edited:

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, here is my takes on Marvel Phase V so far:
1) Wandavision - OMG so good. You mix horro and sitcoms and superheroes, and throw in both Randall Park, and you've got yourself an Emmy. Stick those episodes together, and you've got yourself a Golden Globe, at least. An best supporting actor for Agent Wu.

2) Falcon and the Winter Soldier - run of the mill odd couple buddy adventure story. Not amazing chemistry between Sebastian Stan and Anthony Mackie. Should definitely have recast with Colin Jost and Michael Che. Not a bad look at post Endgame world. You also can't really tell if they are being deliberately political, or not. Worst gripe - the new Captain America costume. Why is the helmet not protecting the top of the noggin? Why does it look like wrestling headgear?

3) Loki - more promising thant F&WS, at least so far. Good chemistry between Owen Wilson and Tom Hiddleson. I like that they shoot the TVA a bit like Legion, and set it somewhere in the kate 70s. Two episodes in, and there are so many questions already! Burdened with Glorious Purpose? Unclear, but it looks very promising.
Wrong wrong wrong...

I couldn't finish Wanda Vison

Falcon and the Winter Soldier was legit, and I found their friendship believable.
The part that made me have to suspend disbelief was Sebastian Stan flirting with Mackie's sister, as she was not a looker.

I'm enjoying Loki so far.

mozi

Reaction score
I mentioned I'd answer questions. I received a response where it was clear there were no real questions that were asked. I received criticisms on sizing, which is fine. But there were additional comments made that were rude and insulting and I pointed them out. Especially coming from someone who hasn't show any experience in the field of leather/leather jackets.

Then I get mocked by people here for feeling a certain way in which I feel was justified (especially in the moment).

What do you guys want me to say here? I feel like whatever I respond with will be seen as unfavorable for me. I'm just trying to get this brand's name out, not to start ****. I don't know how to work with this community. I feel like an outsider.

I can send a jacket if I felt I would get an unbiased review from it. How could I guarantee that after these comments though? Between the both of us?

And is that the precedent I want to set as a brand? Send someone who clearly is so against the brand to appease them even though I felt I was insulted? These are the going through my head.

can I ask a question -

you say your factory has 30 years experience.
How many years of experience making leather jackets do you have ?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wrong wrong wrong...

I couldn't finish Wanda Vison

Falcon and the Winter Soldier was legit, and I found their friendship believable.
The part that made me have to suspend disbelief was Sebastian Stan flirting with Mackie's sister, as she was not a looker.

I'm enjoying Loki so far.
I would like to disagree with you, but you are so incorrect that it's impossible to know where to begin.

I'll start here. Look, Winter Soldier.White Wolf hasn't gotten any since 1942 or whatever. She could look like Roseanne Barr and still get it from him. And on a scale of Roseanne Barr to Scarlett Johansen, while she is definitely not Scarlett, she is much closer to that than to Roseanne. I dunno, maybe he has a thing for women on boats.

We can agree on Loki, I guess.

ThreadsofApollo

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
can I ask a question -

Making a jacket on my own? Started getting into it when COVID started in under a year. Being around the production of leather jackets, leather, tanneries, and first-hand seeing the process multiple times and having the ability to ask questions about the process and industry from a 30-year vet? About 4 years now.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
can I ask a question -

I'm not ToA, but in many industries, a good factory with experienced sample makers is key to success. The question really should be how many years dooes the factory have working with leather goods, and how and how well does the designer work with them. This from someone who has worked in the designs of about a dozen leather jackets over the past decade or so with about half a dozen factories. I don't consider myself a designer, though.

And custom leather makers are a different breed. Some are excellent designers. Some, not so much. Good craftsmanship dos not good taste make.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Winter Soldier.White Wolf hasn't gotten any since 1942 or whatever. She could look like Roseanne Barr and still get it from him
Bah..
If you remember earlier, that much better looking gal in the sushi restaurant was super thirsty for him, and he bailed, because....feelings??
I think the transformation did something serious to his beer goggles.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bah..
If you remember earlier, that much better looking gal in the sushi restaurant was super thirsty for him, and he bailed, because....feelings??
I think the transformation did something serious to his beer goggles.
I maintain that he likes women on boats. It probably reminds him of his dream of escaping to the ocean back in the Great Depression or something.

ThreadsofApollo

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
can I ask a question -

May I ask you a question?

Are you now going to ask the other guy as well? How much experience he has had? Or if he has built a business in the field? Been around anyone with over a decade of experience (or 3)? Or was this more of a trying to "get me" sort of question?

What would you like to know? I am here to offer insights and can start posting about certain things on our Affiliate thread.

In-depth information regarding the tanning process?

How about the fact that the cost of procurement of hides has risen through the roof due to COVID (mixture of logistical costs due to cool storage shipping container prices going through the roof coupled with general logistical cost increases). That there is a huge demand for the hides we use and that there is going to be massive storage in the next few months leading all the way into late next year?

Or about how in the 2010s, the influx of fake leather from China indirectly caused a sort of revolution in leather innovation, starting in Germany?

I also have behind-the-scenes candid videos and images from our production facility the last time I was there (before COVID). Feel free to take a look at those as well.

mozi

Reaction score
I'm not ToA, but in many industries, a good factory with experienced sample makers is key to success. The question really should be how many years dooes the factory have working with leather goods, and how and how well does the designer work with them. This from someone who has worked in the designs of about a dozen leather jackets over the past decade or so with about half a dozen factories. I don't consider myself a designer, though.

And custom leather makers are a different breed. Some are excellent designers. Some, not so much. Good craftsmanship dos not good taste make.

We know how long the factory has been making leather jackets - 30 years, as @ThreadsofApollo has said repeatedly.
But he doesn't say a single other thing about the factory.

What do you find so impressive about the design of these jackets?
I fully agree with @d4nimal. They look like the Wikipedia picture for mall jackets.

You've written quite a few posts defending/praising AOT when no one else on this board seemed at all interested let alone impressed, but all you really seem to be saying is that their hardware and stitching is nice. Yawn.

I found it odd that you would compare these sheep skin jackets to Schott, which use completely different leathers, construction, and styling. Even the AOT guy was baffled by that comparison. Also found it odd that someone who knows collected so many leathers is so impressed with YKK zippers. Also found it odd you burn so many calories defending a mall brand.

Then I realized they were an affiliate sponsor. Glad they are getting their money's worth.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We know how long the factory has been making leather jackets - 30 years, as @ThreadsofApollo has said repeatedly.
But he doesn't say a single other thing about the factory.

What do you find so impressive about the design of these jackets?
I fully agree with @d4nimal. They look like the Wikipedia picture for mall jackets.

You've written quite a few posts defending/praising AOT when no one else on this board seemed at all interested let alone impressed, but all you really seem to be saying is that their hardware and stitching is nice. Yawn.

I found it odd that you would compare these sheep skin jackets to Schott, which use completely different leathers, construction, and styling. Even the AOT guy was baffled by that comparison. Also found it odd that someone who knows collected so many leathers is so impressed with YKK zippers. Also found it odd you burn so many calories defending a mall brand.

Then I realized they were an affiliate sponsor. Glad they are getting their money's worth.

I said in my first post that they were an affiliate vendor. I specifically said that I asked to see a sample before I took them on as an affiliate vendor. I am intrigued that you could get a well fitting, well make leather jacket, for $250. There is really not that much in that range that is decemt, and for a lot of people, that is a much more attainable jacket than a lot of the jackets we talk about here. I think that that's valuable and brings something to the table. And if you remember, my first post was to highlight an interesting treatment that looks good, and that is hard to do even at much higher pirce ranges.

Incidentally, I am a customer of many of our affiliate vendors. I don't genrally endorse any of them explicitly, but especailly on the SWD side, I think that it's not hard to see the influence of my personal tastes on our roster of sponsors. I have John Elliott Nikes, Epaulet chelseas, a bunch of Hender Scheme things from Canoe Club, Good Art and leather jackets galore from Self Edge, Dyneema jeans and denim jackets from Taylor Stitch, Peanuts Company keychains from Standard and Strange, enough belts from Eques to build a Fungeon, and the list goes on. It's just stuff that I like, and chief among that stuff are leather jackets, denim, and interesting jewelry and accessories.

Schott is the example I chose because they are a widely known brand with a lot of range. You can actually get a good sheepskin jacket from Schott at a reasonable price, in about the $400-500 range. They also do some less expensuve jackets for Urban Outfitters and other brands catering to the lower end of the market. You can also get a Horween horse chromexel leather jacket for $1450 (I have one) or a roughout jacket with Good Art accents for $1100 or so (I honestly don't remember what I paid), or a RRL collaboration for $2400. it's a factory with a lot of capacity to produce leather jackets at a variety of finish and trim levels. They have stayed true to their roots, but they have also branched out and used different materials and changed some manufacturing techniques to qwork with the fashion market.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
personally dont care about the fit, construction, or even style of leather jackets. only feature i care about is whether it came from japan.
Oh, for me, that's exclusively for Hender Scheme and Needles.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, I don't dispute all that. But it won't make up for incorrect sizing. Take everything you said and apply it to a pair of raw denim a size too big. Sure, you'll get your phat stacks and fades but it doesn't change the fact that your legs are swimming around in there like toothpicks.

The FCL in size 40 was frankly too big on me. Period. Breaking it in isn't going to shrink it enough.

View attachment 1628577
Not so much for leathers, but I like jeans a size large, so long as they come to a taper.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads