• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lorcan7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What DR did you get from Aero? What made you decide on the model?

Indian Ranger. It was on sale. I was actually tempted by the Elvis or King of the Road. Always kinda wanted a D-pocket. I'm happy with the IR though and the collar shape is a little more unusual. I wanted a more traditional cut rather than the slim-fit Ridley.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Surprised that it's chrome tanned at that price point. Do we know how this leather develops with wear?

I wore my IH moto almost everyday for over a year and it aged quite nicely, this jacket is the same leather and specs so I’d expect it to age nicely as well

dhoff10

Reaction score
I don't think that it's that surprising, A lot of great leathers are chrome tanned. Plus, many vegetal tanned leathers often don't do as well in harsher weather (hot or cold), and often don't do as well with water, and generally require more care. Ironheart is a very functional, utilitarian brand. if I were to make a motorcycle jacket, I'd probably look at chrome tanned leathers well before vegetal tanned ones.
I know it's subjective as to which is better, but isn't chrome tanning relatively fast and easy? Takes about a day where veg tanning takes 4 weeks, and combo tanning like cxl (chrome then bark) takes six and is highly labor intensive. Would be interested if someone has a link to what goes into high end chrome leathers.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'd bet that unlined sleeves crease/patina more than a rayon lining would allow

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know it's subjective as to which is better, but isn't chrome tanning relatively fast and easy? Takes about a day where veg tanning takes 4 weeks, and combo tanning like cxl (chrome then bark) takes six and is highly labor intensive. Would be interested if someone has a link to what goes into high end chrome leathers.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn’t say that chrome tanning (or combination tanning) wasn’t faster nor easier to make, simply that there is plenty of good chrome tanned leather and that for certain uses, probably makes more sense.

There are at least two factors that need to be considered. First, the quality of the hide is critical its price, regardless of tanning method used. Second is that at this price level (for the jacket), the material costs themselves, while not insignificant, are typically not the most important factors in determining price.

stevefok

Reaction score
Same here, I happen to have both the recent schott x 3sixteen and aero ridley, let me post some comparison shots later.

Here I was wearing the latest 3sixteen x Schott collab DR and Aero brown tumbled cxl fqhh DR in premier fit. 3Sixteen stated that the horsehide used in the latest collab is cxl hh but I think it is sig. different than the regular Aero cxl fqhh, the 3sixteen one is much softer which is like wearing a thicker cowhide. The weight of the hide seems pretty close may be the 3sixteen one milled even more? I am not sure.

3Sixteen suggested to size down but I went TTS base on the measurement as I would like some room for layering, and I am glad that I did. The AERO one is a custom which I ordered through Brogue, and the fit is simply perfect. I was wearing a mid weight sweatshirt underneath in all shots.

TBH, I love both equally, I think the 3sixteen one has a bit of streetwear feel to it while the Aero one is a straight up biker aesthetic.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Last edited:

Distorbiant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something about that new 3sixteen x Schott collab really tickles my gooch.

It's interesting how this thread has moved to more traditional or heritage styles. A few years back everyone was all about avant garde high collars and unusual horse hides.

Does anyone have some photos of some tea core jackets actually worn? As in, worn on a human body. It's practically impossible to find a photo of someone wearing one of these broken in jackets with a patina. All the fedoralounge dudes hide their dad bods behind the camera.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always feel like the fits just a little off whenever someone posts on here. Except @RXS09. His was on point. The fit above looks alright but still kinda off. Probably in part due to robo pose and jacket stiffness. But still.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3Sixteen stated that the horsehide used in the latest collab is cxl hh but I think it is sig. different than the regular Aero cxl fqhh, the 3sixteen one is much softer which is like wearing a thicker cowhide. The weight of the hide seems pretty close may be the 3sixteen one milled even more? I am not sure.

I agree it is immensely more comfortable than an off the rack CXL FQHH jacket. They refer to it as tumbled. I like that it maintains the relative stiffness of a new HH jacket but more wearable OTR.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads