1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. uzairh

uzairh Senior member

One of the nicest _7 ever; loved wearing it!
    Interestingly, the color on mine changed to a very dark black-brown from full black over the years....

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

Not a fan of that julius. Idk I'm not a fan of heavily washed jackets.

3. nyarkies

nyarkies Senior member

Funny because the color is designated as black but it actually is closer to charcoal with very dark brown undertones. It does fade over time making the brown undertone more evident.

4. uzairh

uzairh Senior member

Ha ha! Yes, you could tell it had brown undertones after a few months. But when I first got it, it was full deep black.

Also, I love how _7 labelled (still do?) their brown as charcoal :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

julius
    [​IMG]
    incarnation
    [​IMG]
    BBS
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (^ i like this bbs a lot)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  6. AndrewDoesHair

AndrewDoesHair Well-Known Member

Is there an official definition for "best" regarding the title of this thread? I know I look like an idiot, to have posted a $100 jacket next to your $3,000 jackets, I don't know what I was thinking in that moment... In any case, I don't know why I'm even trying to understand any of you guys, but (from my perspective) I feel like every time I check this thread there is a very narrow interpretation of the term "best" regarding leather jackets, veiled in an elitist mentality to exclude newcomers or anyone who thinks differently...

So I know that a $100 leather jacket is in NO way, and by no stretch of anyone's imagination, a "best" leather jacket, except that $100 usually only buys an H&M polyurethane trash bag with zippers on it, and so I thought that for $100, finding real leather would be worth mentioning. I didn't mean to bring down the class of this thread. I won't post that crap again.

So please, if it's allowed, teach me what "best" means here, so I can play by the rules in the future, or so I can understand that I have no interest in "best" leather jackets, after all, and move on...

7. Hirsh

Hirsh Senior member

Basically, it's just the leather jacket that comes closest to your Holy Grail jacket...

I've designed an unusual dark blue biker, which a pattern has been cut for me, and I'll have it made in 2015, my "leather" year

But just any jacket that you feel is the nicest you've ever seen - I hope my next one will be!!!:):):)

8. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

$100 real leather jacket isn't really hard to find. Go to Wilsons during sales time or at their outlets and you probably get one for less. Visit Ross, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, etc.. and you will find the crappiest jacket made out of real leather for around $50. Hell you can go to a thrift store and find leather jackets for less than $100.

9. Hirsh

Hirsh Senior member

That's true, but you're unlikely (maybe except in TKMAXX which sells some top names at crazy prices) to find your favourite leather jacket of all time....or if you do, you're Very Lucky!

My dark blue design comes with a big price tag, as do most top designer ones.....:):)

10. AndrewDoesHair

I get it. Thank you. Sorry if I came off as rude at all. I was legitimately frustrated at my limited understanding- I consider myself by no means "fashionable" (the reason I'm trying to read up around here) but in recent years have been enthraled by leather jackets for reasons outside of the discussion in this forum (like the idea that a piece was hand made in the USA 60 years ago, and probably has some cool back story). I hope to recalibrate my discernment and gain the kind of appreciation you guys have for the leather jacket. A friend if mine is a somewhat famous singer and recently showed me a $2,500 leather jacket he got for a photo shoot, and my inspection of it went right over my head. Yeah, it was cut really nice and slim, and the leather was beautiful, soft, and uniform, but I couldn't wrap my head around why it wasn't a $500 jacket... I'll try to read a lot more than post, as I don't want to be too much of an annoyance.

11. Hirsh

Hirsh Senior member

You're NOT an annoyance at all - you're just on a fashion learning curve!!!

Some people found me annoying when they discovered that I was a girl, but now I'm pretty well accepted by the majority- who are very friendly - on both CM and SW and D, as I wear both bespoke clothing and footwear, but live in jeans, leather jackets and boots as well.

I'm not gay, I'm not a tomboy, I have a long term boyfriend who I'll never marry, but I prefer both men's clothing and the quality of it, which I appreciate.

My days of stilettos and cocktail dresses are long gone.

Be patient, learn about beautiful clothes and you can make lots of new friends:):):)

12. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

Well accepted....??? Good lord.

3 people like this.
  13. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I know that but I was specifically responding to this:

14. AndrewDoesHair

Hirsh, you've redeemed my faith in human kind. I may pick up something about style after all! I was worried I didn't have thick enough skin to learn.

15. canstyleace

canstyleace Senior member

seems like hirsh is a master at misinterpreting comments (forealz thou, no hate)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  16. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

You're on styleforum. Have you browsed any other threads on this site? If not, please take some time to browse the WAYWT on SW&D to understand what this website is all about. People here appreciate the aesthetic value of clothing, hence the name styleforum.

The jacket you posted is a nice quality, but generic-looking moto but an unfashionable cut. Most of us here would rather have a couple very nice jackets than 11 beaters.

This is, essentially, the high-end leather jacket discussion thread.

17. Adroit

Adroit Senior member

SF, like most clothing oriented forums, has its own ethos, style and collective preferences that permeate the forum, and what SF members (who choose to post) perceive as the “best” leather jacket is inherently and inevitably shaped by the particular orientations of the forum. Moreover, what SF members generally perceive as the “best” leather jacket is considerably different than what members of other clothing forums perceive as “best.” For example, certain forums exalt leather jackets made by Loro Piana or RL Purple Label. While there is no denying the superlative quality of Loro Piana and RL Purple Label leather jackets, they get little or no attention here, presumably because many/most here perceive them as overly conservative and lacking contemporary “style.” Similarly, on the other end of the spectrum, Himel, Good Wear, Real McCoys and Freewheelers, among others, manufacture outstanding leather jackets that also get little or no attention here, likely because of their emphasis on older designs. Instead, SF tends to focus on leather jackets offered by TOJ and Rick Owens, among others. Is Loro Piana better than Himel or TOJ? Is Rick Owens better than Good Wear or Purple Label? I’m sure arguments can be made in all directions. In the end, I don’t think which jacket is “better” is the relevant question, nor the purpose of this thread. Rather, as someone else observed, the notion of “best” as applied to this thread addresses each member’s personal concept of a grail jacket, and does not equate to the particular jacket being inherently superior to other jackets (although some jackets obviously are objectively superior to others).

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
    5 people like this.
  18. GBear

GBear Senior member

There were a few detailed posts about what defines a quality leather jacket a couple pages back.

1 person likes this.
  19. futuresailors

futuresailors Senior member

And if you don't feel like reading that, just ask yourself if it meets the following two criteria:
    1. Is it cool as shit?
    2. Could the RRP feed an African village?

5 people like this.
  20. Adroit

Adroit Senior member

One person's "cool as shit" is another person's "shit."

1 person likes this.