• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it just me, or do we have to see at least three tennis balls in there in order to correctly asses the fit?

???

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it just me, or do we have to see at least three tennis balls in there in order to correctly asses the fit?

???
Though tennis balls have become the gold standard for fit, at least on this thread, I think the discerning gentleman utilizes ping pong balls for a more precise impression. And for the exceptionally rigorous individual, bunches of grapes.

Last edited:

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
haha, great comments. the leather looks nice, I like the design on you a lot. as a saint Laurent guy, I'd easily take off 1" in the upper arms and maybe a half inch from the shoulder too (shortening will also slim it). ;)

slows2k

Reaction score
New Leather Day!

And of course, a comparison with my FCL Roberts in size 38.

View attachment 1632170

I think the IH looks really good here. The roominess in the sleeves will calm down a bit once it wears in. I like slim sleeves but the upper sleeve of the FCL looks too trim to me. I would also take the sleeves up a tiny bit but YMMV there. I have the same jacket in the collared version and its awesome.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hold up. I ordered a size 40. These are the measurements from the Self Edge site:

Chest: 42"
Vertical: 26"
Sleeve: 26"
Shoulder: 19"

But these are my measurements the same way Self Edge measures them with pic proof.

Chest: 40"
Vertical: 25"
Sleeve: 25"
Shoulder: 18"

IMG_6690.jpg

IMG_6691.jpg

IMG_6692.jpg

IMG_6693.jpg

How am I supposed to properly size what I buy if I don't even get what I think I'm getting? I promised Kiya I wouldn't return this because I didn't wanna bother him after the FCL return. But c'mon.... I'm going with what I'm given here, but they don't even match. I only sized up because everything I read here and TFL said size 40 was the proper size. But my arms are swimming in this thing. I'm thinking a 38 might have been right after all...

Anyway, gonna have to make it work. Daily rant over.

Last edited:

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is not nitpicking: generally i like to see a tailors tape not like a contractors tape to measure.

unless you have marked measurements on a table, and then you can hold the garment to that. $.02.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hold up. I ordered a size 40. These are the measurements from the Self Edge site:

But these are my measurements the same way Self Edge measures them with pic proof.

View attachment 1632249

View attachment 1632252

View attachment 1632253

View attachment 1632254

How am I supposed to properly size what I buy if I don't even get what I think I'm getting? I promised Kiya I wouldn't return this because I didn't wanna bother him after the FCL return. But c'mon.... I'm going with what I'm given here, but they don't even match. I only sized up because everything I read here and TFL said size 40 was the proper size. But my arms are swimming in this thing. I'm thinking a 38 might have been right after all...

1.) Provided measurements will always vary by some degree from your own measurements.

2.) The standard points of measurement (shoulder, chest, arm, back length, sometime stomach) do not provide enough information by which to accurately gauge fit. There are many small points of distinction that make one jacket fit your body different from another. The standard points of measurement are a reference several times abstracted from the thing itself.

3.) The fit of clothing is therefore only loosely correlated with what we think of as measurements.

4.) Buying clothing without trying on in person is therefore always a crap shoot.

5.) The type of measuring tool you are using leads to a different result than the accepted standard, which is a cloth measure.

6.) The IH looks great in the received size.

7.) I would wager you approved of the fit up to the point you measured the jacket and perceived an injustice.

8.) See points 1-7.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1632249

View attachment 1632252

View attachment 1632253

View attachment 1632254

But your measurements are smaller than those on the site (if I'm reading your post right). So why would you think sizing down further would be better?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndavid20224