• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

slows2k

Reaction score
I don't know where ya live but in Japan and Mexico, they were great for a pretty wide range of temps. In Mexico where the winter would go from 10 degrees in the morn to 24ish in the mid day, it was perfect. I would wear a flannel and a denim jacket over, it would get warm enough to take off the jacket or remove the flannel and wear just the jacket. It was also really dry but the sun can be super harsh to your skin so wearing something like that would be great. Japan has similar weather through the late spring so I tend to wear a denim jacket a lot.

I live in Oakland, CA, like the one place denim jackets remain useful throughout the day. When I go back to visit family in the central valley, I'm immediately sweating buckets in anything more than one layer, except in the dead of winter once the sun goes down, when its pretty damned cold for CA. I think if I ever wore a flannel underneath a separate jacket on any regular day I would die.

It's not so much the temp here as it is that its sunny all the time. Cool but sunny days feel much hotter than the same temp on a cloudy day. I've always struggled to wear more than one layer if the sun was out.

If any of this reads as hyperbolic, it's not.

Centaurus3200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hey, i live in Oakland too!

i'm not too emotional one way or another about trucker jackets. i have a late 60's Big E that i wear throughout the summer and a black Johnson Leathers type 3 (kinda looks like Bison?). both were thrift finds.

well, i do have a new with tags Naked and Famous dark gray raw denim trucker, but i think i'll just sell it. the inside is printed with vintage photos of naked women. i'm not prude, but don't wanna rip the tags off only to decide it's not my thing.
61947621_2482464765120773_5665693391120236544_n.jpg
61741480_2482464731787443_5266789966972715008_n.jpg

I live in Oakland, CA, like the one place denim jackets remain useful throughout the day. When I go back to visit family in the central valley, I'm immediately sweating buckets in anything more than one layer, except in the dead of winter once the sun goes down, when its pretty damned cold for CA. I think if I ever wore a flannel underneath a separate jacket on any regular day I would die.

It's not so much the temp here as it is that its sunny all the time. Cool but sunny days feel much hotter than the same temp on a cloudy day. I've always struggled to wear more than one layer if the sun was out.

If any of this reads as hyperbolic, it's not.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
MEETUP!!

Nice thrift store finds. I imagine good stuff can be had around here but I have never really gone looking.

The type 3 looks especially useful with those pockets :cool:
sure, just message me and we can hit the thrifts some time!

Ay guys wtf, Bay Area meet up not
Just oaktown

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New Leather Day!

Iron Heart Horsehide Leather Jacket - Self Edge Battle Edition in size 40

Pros: Very, very nice leather. I think it's nicer than the FCL's I've handled and owned. Satin-lined arms feel smooth and slippery. Cuff gussets are sewn in.
Cons: Very roomy upper arms. Maybe they'll camoflauge and conform better with some wear. Sleeves a slightly long, but not annoyingly so.

And of course, a comparison with my FCL Roberts in size 38.

IMG_6676.jpg

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New Leather Day!

Pros: Very, very nice leather. I think it's nicer than the FCL's I've handled and owned. Satin-lined arms feel smooth and slippery. Cuff gussets are sewn in.
Cons: Very roomy upper arms. Maybe they'll camoflauge and conform better with some wear. Sleeves a slightly long, but not annoyingly so.

View attachment 1632170
I think the IH pattern looks really nice on you, from a silhouette perspective probably better than the FCL.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New Leather Day!

View attachment 1632170

I like the Roberts on you, but would say that you should not go with another one in 38, given your experience. I think the IH is a good replacement.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
New Leather Day!

View attachment 1632170
Firstly IH looks great and congrats.

Secondly its a nice looking jacket which one can freely move in. I can explain how important that is to having a nice clothing item. If you cant move in it you won't wear it cuz its a pain. That IH gets more compliments than any other jacket I own. I picked it over an Aero and haven't looked back.

nyarkies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it would also help if you post a short video clip with you putting on the jacket and turning around showing all the sides. We can then figure out if it's 0.127", 0.128", or a size 38 that you need.

Also @kiya receiving the order for Iron Heart:

5cc68eac495047262e1d40a8ba927026.jpg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coongameb52