• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RXS09

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m still considering the AD01 in sheepskin:

https://www.farfetch.com/shopping/m...ipped-jacket-item-12108500.aspx?storeid=10708

Also considering this A.P.C. Cafe Racer:

https://www.apc-us.com/coffee-racer-jacket-pxbjl-h02518#Black

Similar price point as the Addict Clothes AD01, but cowhide leather with cafe racer collar and zip hand warmer pockets. Also, it doesn’t have the buckles on the back hem. And sheepskin teacore vs. cowhide leather. Hmm...
That APC looks pretty awful IMO. Get the Addict.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@walds11 apc is not worth $1600, it’s as basic as **** gets. Addict is better

@Callusing the addict looks good save for the buckle ok the bottom, it’s just out of place, FCL Eric does a better job. But in general, that nine lives you have in a similar color is much better .

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
acapulco-gold-apc-crap-t-shirt.jpg

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What makes the Addict better? It’s around same price or little lower if you hunt for it.

APC is a great brand just they don’t specialize in leather jackets; hence, I’d go with the addict. I personally don’t like addict too much but I only handled their horse. Overall I wouldn’t get either.

For a moto iron heart or aero is what I’d buy. I have not seen anything that interesting besides those two for Motos. Aero turns me off cuz of the MTM process without being able to feel a jacket or try it on without commitment. But also that’s a selling point, I’ve been wanting a seal Vicenza for a bit now.

Callusing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been disappointed by every APC leather good I have ever handled, purely on the basis of leather feel/quality and visible construction details. (Jackets, footwear, accessories) I hear some of the Louis W. stuff is alright, but that seems to be an exception.

If you're looking to sink over $1k into a jacket, get the Addict between the two of those, you'll be happier in the long run. Or wait til the APC is on sale at end-of-season.

@sinnedk Yes, one thing I definitely don't need as long as I keep the Nine Lives is another brown leather of any sort. I just thought it was cool because I'd only seen Addicts in black so far. If I get an Addict, it'll be black sheep leather.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think the quality of that that APC leather jacket is probably fine, but that design is uninspiring. APC and Addict seem like two different companies though. The Addict jackets that have been posted here look a bit more rugged. APC is that contemporary minimalist type style that almost bleeds into boring everyday clothes. Seems like it depends on how you want to dress.

I think there are better options for minimalism than APC though.

walds11

Reaction score
Guys, thanks for the feedback on APC leather. Imma scratch it off my list unless I can get one on sale.

So, this is my running list:

-Addict Clothes AD-01 sheep
-Falcon M1 lamb or goat (don’t want to go MTM but need to for added sleeve length)
-Belstaff B Racer
-John Varvatos Marley (are we getting into “mall” leather jackets here?)
https://www.johnvarvatos.com/marley-leather-jacket/L1193V1B-A691B.html

There may be others, but I can’t think of them off top of my head. My general criteria is light to mid weight everyday cafe racer or similar style leather jacket. Nothing stiff. No chest pockets.

Last edited:

Callusing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ The JV jacket looks like it's Star USA, which I would stay away from. Straight-up cheap stuff. Though I do think mainline JV gets more flak than it deserves around these parts. It's overpriced at MSRP, and a lot of it is overdesigned, but you can usually get everything for 60-70% off at some point each season, and a lot of it looks really good when worn.

If you're in Philly you could probably just flag down Charly for Falcon and make the decision on that one in person. Basically, between those options, the Addict is very different from the rest, the Falcon is a great pick except for your MTM reservations. I doubt anything about the Belstaff will blow you away, but I give em credit that everything Belstaff I've ever worn / owned / tried on has looked great.

It's too bad Private White got rid of their biker jacket because it sounds like it'd be a great fit for what you're looking for if they'd made it in leather. (Like all things at TheRake, it's more expensive there than anywhere else)

And if we're talking mall jackets and you can get it on the cheap, Theory's Morvek is right up your alley. And to the point @dieworkwear often makes, it's not like it's gonna fall apart in a month or anything like that. You can get it for 5 Benjamins a couple places right now: Here, here and here.

And Theory still isn't going to be confused for high-end, but based on what I've handled their stuff is a lot better than it used to be.

Last edited:

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Eww. Looks like a Zara attempt at a padded shoulder racer.

Aesthetically if you're open to something more interesting in the shoulder area and with a cleaner front over the Belstaff B racer, look into the Haslingfield model. Did you see the chest pocket stitching on the B racer? Admittedly, I love the leather they use on it but the visible pocket on the front irked me. The Haslingfield doesn't have that.

7810_011947_010_belstaff_001_01.jpg

Also, check out what Coach is putting out for racers these days. They usually have something pretty decent, albeit basic. If I didn't have my Polo RL cafe racer and didn't want to bother searching for a grail, I'd rock one of theirs happily (assuming it fit right).

https://www.coach.com/coach-leather-racer-jacket/21840.html

walds11

Reaction score
^ The JV jacket looks like it's Star USA, which I would stay away from. Straight-up cheap stuff. Though I do think mainline JV gets more flak than it deserves around these parts. It's overpriced at MSRP, and a lot of it is overdesigned, but you can usually get everything for 60-70% off at some point each season, and a lot of it looks really good when worn.

If you're in Philly you could probably just flag down Charly for Falcon and make the decision on that one in person. Basically, between those options, the Addict is very different from the rest, the Falcon is a great pick except for your MTM reservations. I doubt anything about the Belstaff will blow you away, but I give em credit that everything Belstaff I've ever worn / owned / tried on has looked great.

It's too bad Private White got rid of their biker jacket because it sounds like it'd be a great fit for what you're looking for if they'd made it in leather. (Like all things at TheRake, it's more expensive there than anywhere else)

And if we're talking mall jackets and you can get it on the cheap, Theory's Morvek is right up your alley. And to the point @dieworkwear often makes, it's not like it's gonna fall apart in a month or anything like that. You can get it for 5 Benjamins a couple places right now: Here, here and here.

And Theory still isn't going to be confused for high-end, but based on what I've handled their stuff is a lot better than it used to be.

The JV jacket is Star USA. Yep, you can catch some really good sales on the JV jackets.

I’m in Philly and may consider meeting up with Charly in person to get sized up and handle the leathers. Still hesitant with MTM because you can’t exchange or return.

The Belstaff B Racer looks like any other racer, but they are easy to obtain, exchange/return. Maybe catch a sale on these?

I’m not digging the collar and elastic hem on the Theory Morvek.

Eww. Looks like a Zara attempt at a padded shoulder racer.

Aesthetically if you're open to something more interesting in the shoulder area and with a cleaner front over the Belstaff B racer, look into the Haslingfield model. Did you see the chest pocket stitching on the B racer? Admittedly, I love the leather they use on it but the visible pocket on the front irked me. The Haslingfield doesn't have that.

Also, check out what Coach is putting out for racers these days. They usually have something pretty decent, albeit basic. If I didn't have my Polo RL cafe racer and didn't want to bother searching for a grail, I'd rock one of theirs happily (assuming it fit right).

https://www.coach.com/coach-leather-racer-jacket/21840.html

This is the Belstaff B Racer that I’m looking at. No chest pockets here.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/5141112

As for Coach leather jackets, I like this one, but it’s pretty basic.

https://www.coach.com/coach-jacket/69167.html

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads