• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Callusing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody here owned a Rick Owens Leather Worker for a long time?

Owned a couple in the past, sold em before I put much wear on em, considering getting one again. (Sized up one from what I used to wear...sold the last ones primarily because I grew out of them.) In some shots I love the silhouette, in some shots it seems boxy-in-a-bad-way, and I'm wondering if some of that boxiness will settle down as the leather breaks in. Since he tends to use stiffer leathers in those jackets.

leather-jacket-worker_393816_big.jpg

11735127_8161074_480.jpg

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IME, depends on the leather. Stiffer, heavier types like FQHH you'll find that the creasing shrinks the length by a quarter inch. Thinner stuff like lambskin doesn't.

thx

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Reactions: jet

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Owned a couple in the past, sold em before I put much wear on em, considering getting one again. (Sized up one from what I used to wear...sold the last ones primarily because I grew out of them.) In some shots I love the silhouette, in some shots it seems boxy-in-a-bad-way, and I'm wondering if some of that boxiness will settle down as the leather breaks in. Since he tends to use stiffer leathers in those jackets.

leather-jacket-worker_393816_big.jpg

11735127_8161074_480.jpg
I love mine super versatile

fps

Reaction score

I took a punt and grabbed that one off of Glamood (née Spence) when it was a give-away price on clearance. I agree with Kunk on the versatility of it -- personally I like the fact that it has Rick detailing without screaming Rick, if you get me. As well as the pretty heavy calf suede, it's boxiness comes from its quilted and lightly poly-filled lining.

Callusing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks @fps and @thekunk07 . I think I'll give it one more shot, then. I sold all my Rick late last year (except for my three pairs of Rick Birkenstocks), but I can probably work a Worker into the simpler style I've got these days. I might still have fit issues (shoulders & upper arms), but the one I'm eyeing is at a good enough price I won't take a loss if I have to resell.

EDIT: @dieworkwear I just want to get to the point where I can wear leather as effortlessly as Ms. Hardy. A lotta personal development needed to get there. That third jacket is killer on its own, too.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the Rotterdam. I'm gonna be looking for another leather. The zamb I have is too loose now to wear on it's own.

It's great with a thick sweater or a tee and a thin hoodie/marmot fleece but it is a little too drapey with just a tee

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EDIT: @dieworkwear I just want to get to the point where I can wear leather as effortlessly as Ms. Hardy. A lotta personal development needed to get there. That third jacket is killer on its own, too.
Leather is easy to wear. What you need to do is to get a weight and style in which you are comfortable, and just wear that jacket hard until it just becomes a second skin. Once that special jacket becomes just "your jacket", it will look effortless. Of course, this means that you have the just eschew any resale value. Like, those jackets on the Fine Creek instagram. Do they look amazing? Yes. But they are super worn in. #makeyourownbrandexperience

zer0tails

Reaction score
Leather is easy to wear. What you need to do is to get a weight and style in which you are comfortable, and just wear that jacket hard until it just becomes a second skin. Once that special jacket becomes just "your jacket", it will look effortless. Of course, this means that you have the just eschew any resale value. Like, those jackets on the Fine Creek instagram. Do they look amazing? Yes. But they are super worn in. #makeyourownbrandexperience

+1 to what LA Guy said. I went through 4 leather jackets before I found the one i.e. one that was in a weight and style that was comfortable and felt effortless to wear. It just worked and that makes it easy to wear.

TheLastZealot

Reaction score
My 2C on the John Varvatos talk

The brand carries lots of jacket designs, but most of them are overdesigned, feels like trying too hard to achieve some ideas. Also not a fan of their leather quality. On some jackets, the leather is processed in some weird way to fulfill some kind of texture/look, but drastically kills the leather quality. On their normal leather, most times the leather feels thin and fragile. Overall the brand to me aims for the non-durable designer-fashion vibe.

Their suede stuff are actually awesome. I have a black jacket from JV bought 2 years ago from their outlet store during sale. The thin suede is buttery soft and smooth. Simple design kinda goes with anything. My go-to jackets when it's warm. Just have to be careful with it, I guess it's not durable
IMG_20190319_232946.jpg
IMG_20190319_233144.jpg

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^That would be a tough piece to wear -- maybe only with well-worn denim or ... ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads