• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Learning Latin

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Instead of wasting your time trying to find a Latin class you should be working on tracking down a nice looking young lady with an interest in Greek.
teacha.gif

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All I remember from 2.5 years of Latin is that panis is their word for bread. MMMMMMMM panis!

Chouse

Reaction score
Originally Posted by P-K-L
I do not think so. As Nantucket Red said, Latin really helps understanding the structure and a lot of words in other languages - especially French, Spanish and Italian.

Agreed. However costs far outweigh the benefits here! You are better off learning one of the aforementioned languages properly.

Latin is a neat language and certainly has a novelty factor to it but - as others have said - it will take a lot of time and dedication to be able to read any of the more complex Latin texts.

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took four years of Greek in high school. It taught me more about English than any of my awful teachers did up to that point.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think Latin still sells in high schools because teachers all repeat the "It will help you score high on your SATs!" and "It will give you a huge edge in med/law school!" nonsense.

I wish I'd taken German or French to be honest.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The help you get in understanding English grammer from learning Latin is marginal compared to the help you would get in life from knowing a language that is actually useful.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
The help you get in understanding English grammer from learning Latin is marginal compared to the help you would get in life from knowing a language that is actually useful.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

hamish5178

Reaction score
I am on my third year of high school Latin (though I'm graduating this year), it was a waste of time.

I excell in english/lit/composition, and have always had a very well developed vocabulary, I have seen little to no benefit from Latin in that regard.

Also, learning a language you can't speak, unless you specifically want to read something, is a silly thing to do. If you want to feign sophistication, learn Greek.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
+1
What JLib neglected to mention is that he has a phd in classics from oxford, so his latin is probably a lot better than most.

Correction: I have a Ph.D. in history from UCLA. Oxford, BTW, does not grant a "Ph.D." properly speaking. They call it a "D.Phil." I did read Greats as a senior student at Balliol. I had no instruction in the Latin language at Oxford. They just assumed you knew it by then.

And he's an old guy, so he has time to do things like re-read The Aeneid and Homeric epics (which are greek) in his considerable free time.
devil.gif
I'm still working full-time, same as a most of you. Have thought of retiring soon, but lately I have been reconsidering and may keep plugging along for awhile longer at the job.

It's kind of funny. I have been so immersed in the classical languages lately that I almost feel guilty reading anything in English, no matter how edifying--I rather liken reading English to watching trash television!

Oh, and I should be up to the suicide of "infelix Dido" in the Aeneid by tomorrow night.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads