• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Layering in winter - what to wear?

theriel

Reaction score
Hello,
The time has come when a simple shirt + jacket + scarf + coat are not sufficient. I am freezing.

The question thus is - what do gentlemen wear, if they do not want to give up their jackets, or look silly wearing mountaineering parka?

Merino wool v-neck? (I am not personally the biggest fan...) Cardigan sweater? (with buttons?) Down/primaloft vest? (what type?)

Lots of photos for inspiration would be highly appreciated.

Thank you for your help!

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cashmere cardigan underneath your jacket, thicker cotton shirt, heavier fabrics for the suiting itself?

A nice and thick wool or cashmere overcoat would work nicely, too.

ThomGault

Reaction score
what do gentlemen wear, if they do not want to give up their jackets, or look silly wearing mountaineering parka?
Where do you live, how cold is it, and for what environment are you preparing? All of those factors will affect the answer.

Generally, i like a good Shetland sweater, like http://www.oconnellsclothing.com/Shetland-Sweaters-Plain/ or http://www.oconnellsclothing.com/Scottish-fair-isle-sweaters .
Otherwise, you could approach the problem from the other side by adding unseen base layers.

CloudLi

Reaction score
Do you walk outside a lot? A undershirt, a cotton shirt, a sweater, a jacket, a cashmere overcoat works if you do not walk outside for long.

theriel

Reaction score
Hi,
I live in the UK but travel around so face temperatures from minus 10 to plus 10 in winter (that's in Celsius). Not too crazy.

I will go and get some white spandex tshirt as a first start, great idea.

Could you help me by linking some examples of cashmere cardigans or other sweaters worn with suits? Google hasn't helped me much and I am a bit perplexed regarding what works/what doesn't.

Thank you all!

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With a suit for work, it's best to stick with the v-neck style of sweater. The general rule is for any visible business fabric to be smooth and not very thick, which negates much of the extra warmth cashmere can bring. In that scenario, solid gray or navy is the best color choice.

Cashmere as lining in gloves would be helpful. Ditto for it in socks. Cashmere in the suiting material also would add warmth.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wool baselayers are really useful, I find. You can get different weights, which will wear warmer depending on what you choose. I've gotten through some really cold winters in Russia with just baselayers, a dress shirt, sport coat, and some basic/ non-parka outerwear.

I like Smartwool's midweight baselayers, but you can also get super heavy duty ones through Woolx. They have some that come in at 13oz. I find them a bit itchier, and the heavier weight means you may run really warm indoors, but they may be an option if you find Smartwool insufficient.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps you should be thinking about gloves, wool socks that come up to the bottom of your knees (Over the calf height), proper shoes (with rubber sole helps a they don't conduct the cold on the bottom as much) and things like these for your extremities.

Everyone's already mentioned three piece suits, waistcoat etc. Base layers are also extremely helpful I find.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm briefly in Europe at the moment but with a metabolism adapted to the Australian summer. I favour brushed cotton shirts (the kind sold at Cordings - much recommended!), a thin white T-shirt under that, a cashmere or merino (100% of either, not a 90% cotton blend) V-neck jumper. On top would go the jacket and overcoat. Jacket of heavier suiting, think 90s worsted or a medium to heavy tweed, overcoat the same.

I've been contemplating, but not yet pulled the trigger, purchasing a (fully) shearling-lined DB tweed overcoat - they are relatively cheap on eBay or in thrift shops. I just can't justify it for the 3-4 weeks I spend a year in cold weather, and when my checked in luggage is usually a mere pound or two under the limit already (these things weigh a ton). However shearling is the "ultimate solution" for both cold and wind after which you should really be looking at technical jackets (think the brand with a foie gras producing animal from somewhere north of the US) because your health is more important than fashion (saying this having lived in the Alps many years). I have never encountered such weather in a decade in the UK, including up north.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An obvious win when it comes to an overcoat is buying it in a proper length - below the knee. You will be amazed how much warmer that extra length makes it...

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I live in the UK but travel around so face temperatures from minus 10 to plus 10 in winter (that's in Celsius). Not too crazy.

I will go and get some white spandex tshirt as a first start, great idea.

Could you help me by linking some examples of cashmere cardigans or other sweaters worn with suits? Google hasn't helped me much and I am a bit perplexed regarding what works/what doesn't.

Thank you all!

It is not that cold, I was perfectly OK wearing cut offs and a tee shirt yesterday.

zr3rs

Reaction score

I do not remember stylish examples with a suit, but there a great examples with a sportcoat, such as this Michael Jondral example with a 500g wool fabric over a cashmere cardigan.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BbPgPkqAkvj/

When stepping outside, covering your extremities makes a huge difference, e.g. cashmere beanie, cashmere-lined gloves, thick socks and heavy shoes with double or rubber soles.

Wool coats, unless super-heavy and long, are inferior in thermal isolation to down-filled coats (e.g. Moorer), but my experience with most business trips is that outside exposure is mostly limited to 15 minutes to change transportation, so a regular coat is sufficient for me in Central European winter.

everyday

Reaction score
This might sound pedestrian, but I find an oversized Polyester with down feathers or poly fluff filled zip up Jacket is the best. Breaks the wind, insulates, can wear suit underneath. Oh, and I prefer Cotton Sweaters.

MTLinStyle

Reaction score
I second @dieworkwear comment below.

Wool baselayers are really useful, I find. You can get different weights, which will wear warmer depending on what you choose. I've gotten through some really cold winters in Russia with just baselayers, a dress shirt, sport coat, and some basic/ non-parka outerwear.

I like Smartwool's midweight baselayers, but you can also get super heavy duty ones through Woolx. They have some that come in at 13oz. I find them a bit itchier, and the heavier weight means you may run really warm indoors, but they may be an option if you find Smartwool insufficient.

Although, I have plenty of socks (in varied thickness from hiking to dress) made by Smartwool, which are simply awesome, I prefer IceBreaker for the base layers. If you are into any winter outdoor sports (skiing, snowboarding, etc) you probably familiar with the brand, or simly live in a cold climate like Canada.

https://www.icebreaker.com/en/mens-baselayers

P.S. Right now here is 12F (and droping to 1F overnight)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads