• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Last straw, other party wants me to remove American flag lapel pin! (Fashion at work)

Reaction score
So I like dressing formal, yet conservative. No American flag cufflinks, American flag suspenders, or American flag pocket squares.

On the first day of the project I came in wearing dress pants without belt loops. Pants had suspender buttons and silk braces. I was told to change and come back on account of the braces.

Second day I was told to remove my plain, white pocket square and ruby cufflinks.

Third day I was told to remove plain silver cufflinks, and the other party commented that my suits were "too well tailored" and that he could supply me with a gift card to buy factory "sack" suits at the local department store.

Today I was told that he didn't notice my American Flag lapel pin before, but I would not be able to wear it. The American Flag lapel pin is in waving position, with all 50 stars on the flag in 14k gold.

I am going to ghost write a letter to HIS supervisor letting him know about his flagrant anti-Americanism. How could he not stand for me supporting the men and women defending our country and our great nation that allows people like him to engage in free enterprise?

If I am still not allowed to wear even my American flag lapel pin, I will not be working for the project anymore, and I will encourage as many people as I can to not consult there and lobby hard against any bailouts they ask for in the future. I will buy the billboard across the street letting everyone know, "Do not shop there!"

Why is it that some companies want there contractors and "lower level" employees to wear baggy dress shirts, poorly tailored suits, barrel cuffs as opposed to cuff links, etc?

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sadly, it's because when you're too dressed up, it makes you look arrogant. And customers/co-workers will feel/think that you're looking down on them.

Such is life in the corporate world, only the top dogs get to wear the flash.

jt10000

Reaction score
Yay! Ghost write that letter! Sign it "Thomas Jefferson"! In big letters so even the Queen in England can read them!!! Or Stalin in his grave.

Putonghua73

Reaction score
Quit the project and get out of the company stat! Whilst I appreciate fitting in, it's hardly like you walked into a project meeting with Judy Garland ruby heels!

If the predominate focus is how you dress, as opposed to your input / intellectual ability, then this project is f-ked from the get-go.

Ivar

Reaction score
Mad trolling.

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I like dressing formal, yet conservative. No American flag cufflinks, American flag suspenders, or American flag pocket squares.
Is wearing American flag cufflinks, suspenders, and pocket squares par for the course for some non-formal or non-conservative (or both?) style of dress?

jt10000

Reaction score
Here's the look you should go for. If they don't allow that, screw 'em!
U S A ! U S A ! U S A !

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads