• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

last minute bespoke changes?

spectzix

Reaction score
first custom suit, very nervous about the outcome its lower end bespoke but still a lot of money for me, want to make it as perfect as possible - Lapel width 2 3/4in - Real or false lapel buttonhole false - Two button - Shoulder padding minimal - Sleeve taper/circumference - Real sleeve buttonholes - Number of sleeve buttons 4 - Sleevel buttons "kissing" - flapped pockets - double vents - Jacket length normal-short - Stitching pattern on lapels - Fully canvassed - Flat front pants - Straight leg
20100319_005.jpg
they took in the waist a bit shortened the length a bit they will make the shoulders more fitted no changes to the sleeve width though
20100319_007.jpg
20100319_006.jpg
this is the look i am trying to get (RL black label)
suit1.jpg
comments appreciated

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
wow, you are really skinny. I am not crazy about the pants leg, particulalry from the knee down, too wide. May be too wide up top and too long a rise for the look you want. The RL model has the same issue with his pants from the knee down, they almost look like a flare bottom.

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought Ed was going to comment on the fact that the op has got no ass.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that the RL suit has a lower buttoning position that your suit. If you want the long sleek lapel look you need to move the buttoning position a couple of inches lower.

spectzix

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flieger
I thought Ed was going to comment on the fact that the op has got no ass.

i do agree, and that i am too skinny

thats why i went custom.... bring the best out of my limited physique

thanks for the comments

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
wow, you are really skinny. I am not crazy about the pants leg, particulalry from the knee down, too wide. May be too wide up top and too long a rise for the look you want. The RL model has the same issue with his pants from the knee down, they almost look like a flare bottom.

Agreed. Didn't see it so much side-on but looks that way from the front.

And get a real lapel hole
wink.gif

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Aj_del is right about the lower buttoning position.

Maybe narrow the pant from the knee down as well.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
2 3/4 inch lapels are very skimpy. Are you sure you want this?

Looks like you will get a good suit from what I see.

If the trouser is placed properly on your waist, you have a high left hip/ low right, probably a low left shoulder too.

The problem with going bespoke with a shopping list like this is that you dismiss the experienced eye of the tailor and his eye for proportion. If he knows his stuff, you come out ahead with using his advice. Prerequisite is that he understands the aesthetic you are after. If not, move on.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
If you want the long sleek lapel look you need to move the buttoning position a couple of inches lower.

+1. Not sure if you actually needed to shorten the jacket - length looks fine to me as is - but you may want to check at your next fitting whether the chest is not too full.

Also, if it's your first time going bespoke, don't be nervous, but just enjoy the process.

pitboss12

Reaction score
I think it looks pretty good. The issues about the pants and the button position on the jacket mentioned above should be addressed. Out of curiosity, who are you working with on this?

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would not expect "perfect" esp. with your first suit. But, you can still tweak.
Definitley lower the buttoning point and make sure the lapels are cut to roll longer if you want the Black Label look. The shoulders look similar so that's good. And what Ed said about the lower rise and trouser leg. But, Despos probably has the wisest words.

Originally Posted by aj_del
I think that the RL suit has a lower buttoning position that your suit. If you want the long sleek lapel look you need to move the buttoning position a couple of inches lower.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads