• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Las Vegas Wedding at 6pm in April

muteboy

Reaction score
As I'm sure is quite common, I would like to kick off my SF membership with a thread asking for advice about what to wear to my wedding.
First, a bit of background (relevant or not) - I'm an Englishman in my late 30's marrying a lovely LA girl. I'm 6' when I stand up straight, 200lbs (working on reducing that).
We live in San Francisco, but we're getting married in Las Vegas, at a golf/country club, because the bride's parents live there, and my family are in the UK, so it becomes a bit of a destination wedding for all. It's happening in April, and the ceremony is set for 6pm.
It's not a formal affair, and budget is an issue, but I wanted to take the opportunity to dress as well as I could, and get the best pieces I could.
I was thinking of a pale grey two-button lounge suit, white shirt, ____ tie, and brown brogues. I've been to/seen photos from a couple of weddings where the groom was wearing this combination, and I think it looked great.
I would get the suit made, or an OTR suit altered.
I've had real trouble finding shirts that fit. When they fit my 17" neck, they are huge and puffy everywhere else.
I would get good brogues. I have some Allen Edmonds black bluchers, and I'm very happy with them, so their Strands might be an option.

So, what do you think? Is that combination beyond the pale? (sorry)
If it's OK, can people advise on where to get the suit, shirt and shoes in San Francisco or online?
What tie should I get?
Because I'm planning to wear the suit for occasions after the wedding (unlike her dress, which will be destroyed), I can afford to spend up to 600/700.

I know this is asking a lot, but I can tell that people here like to dive in and critique stuff and give advice, so come at me!

Cheers,
Matt

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
With neutral colors like gray and white, color is irrelevant. I do suggest a tie that is lighter in color than the suit, otherwise you look like a Russian mob boss.

And while color is irrelevant, I suggest a color, not black, silver, gray, etc. Too drab.

Medium blue, pink, lavender will all work.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hemrajani Brothers (MyTailor.com) has it's US operations based in the SF area. I would suggest paying them a visit. They do MTM shirts very well. I don't use them for suits, but they do that as well. Their fabric books are quite extensive and go pretty high end. For shirts I get Thomas Mason silver or Monti. They come in around $150 including duty and shipping from HK, with the thicker MOP buttons. At a local tailor, the same fabrics would cost me $250 for MTM. I don't know if their prices for suits, but I've looked at their fabric books and they have many of the high end books.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads