• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lands' End Canvas

Kurtz

Reaction score
I'll bump b/c I'm curious if they even do promotion codes on this line? Also, has anyone tried out the messenger bag? It looks decent for such a low price, and I need another bag (on a budget).

GQ1

Reaction score
Has anyone purchased any ties yet? I'm thinking about either the madras or gingham tie for a summer wedding. Any opinions will be appreciated. Thanks.

korovamilkbar

Reaction score
I've purchased the gingham tie in true navy. I've been impressed compared to other cotton ties. It doesn't wrinkle as much and is a great width and length. The navy is quite dark though and could pass for black.

GQ1

Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt reply. I agree the true navy is too dark. I bought a true navy gingham shirt and it can almost pass for a black. I think a lighter color is more suitable for summer. I hope they come out with some seersucker ties in the same width.

Originally Posted by korovamilkbar
I've purchased the gingham tie in true navy. I've been impressed compared to other cotton ties. It doesn't wrinkle as much and is a great width and length. The navy is quite dark though and could pass for black.

GQ1

Reaction score
On a similar note, I recently walked into an Old Navy store looking for leather sandals and was surprised to see their collection of oxford shirts. The fitting is similar to LE Canvas however, they have straight collars except the yellow color oxford has a button down collar. They were $24.99 each. They also have some poplin shirts in classic patterns in the same fit. Check them out!

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's this talk about Lands End being sold at another stodgy has-been like Sears? Somehow that makes sense! Companies like Lands End will be out of business soon if they don't dramatically change their ways. Check out the aging demographics.... http://www.quantcast.com/landsend.com#demographics Lands End demographics is that of a white, highly educated, baby boomer class. This is generally the worst dressed demographic in America currently. Difficult to imagine there are many great clothing options sold here and everytime I look at their site I leave feeling so depressed.

brozek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
Companies like Lands End will be out of business soon if they don't dramatically change their ways....Lands End demographics is that of a white, highly educated, baby boomer class.

Somehow I don't think selling to highly educated baby boomers is a losing business model.

a-rock

Reaction score
If anything, LE is the only worthwhile company in the Sears Holdings portfolio. They don't break out the earnings and profits for each holding but its been acknowledged that LE saved Sears's ass in recent yrs.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brozek
Somehow I don't think selling to highly educated baby boomers is a losing business model.

This is short term thinking. There are a lot of business out there whose business model is largely designed to accommodate baby boomer tastes. They go after the boomers because there are more people in that age group AND most of the boomers are at the height of their earning power. However, it's all downhill from here.

The boomers are just now starting to retire in ever increasing numbers. When people retire, their annual spending tends to decrease year after year as they grow older. This leads to fewer purchases from Lands End and other favorite boomer retailers. Where will the missing revenue come from? Definitely not from younger generations since (as you can see from the Lands End demographic info) younger people prefer to shop elsewhere.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a-rock
If anything, LE is the only worthwhile company in the Sears Holdings portfolio. They don't break out the earnings and profits for each holding but its been acknowledged that LE saved Sears's ass in recent yrs.
I didn't realize they were owned by Sears Holdings. How interesting. Those are pretty ruthless guys running that company that tend to only buy troubled assets. I am sure they will dump or partially dismantle LE as quickly as they bought it once it stops looking good. I recall when the bought they troubled K-mart and magically made it profitable again by closing half the stores and selling the valuable property for profit. Investors loved it, but I thought it seemed rather destructive and short sighted. Although K-mart was such a mess that it probably had to be done.

TheDroog

Reaction score
If I recall correctly, LE was purchased by Sears a few years before Edward Lampert bought out Sears, combined it with K-Mart, and then ran the whole enterprise to ****. He's been criticized for not investing in any of his retail stores, which is why K-Mart and Sears look run-down and decrepit compared to peer stores like Target.

All that said, I do think LE is doing quite well. It's one of the best price/quality values on the market, which is why places like SF, Ask Andy, and other style blogs keep referring to it. If people on sites like this and business casual middle Americans both keep coming back to this company, they're going to do alright in the long run.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads