• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

l got tricked to an AMWAY convention. A weird experience.

AmericanWay$

Reaction score
Originally Posted by c3cubed

AMWAY = QUIXTAR.

As if it really matters, I would presume many, many members of this SF forum drive absolutely gorgeous cars, depending on the tastes. Most are articulate, very well educated and I find, quite worldly when it comes to business schemes.

A number of us are extremely successful by legitimate means, without predatory business practices on our friends and associates. Based on the number of members on this particular forum, I would imagine there are many of us here, who are downright filthy rich.
It may be best for you to peruse and establish a blog membership somewhere else if you are trying to obtain new customers for your business venture.

I regret to inform you that, this location is more of a gentleman's forum.[/I]

Choosing to be defensive about business opportunities with limitless potential is your AMerican right. I do not understand that decision but you are free to make it all the same.
frown.gif
frown.gif
plain.gif
teacha.gif

I am a legitimate Business Owner. Predatory business practices are not needed because AMWAY's products are competetively priced and preform better than the competition. The excellent service provided by AMWAY Business Owners also gives us an edge!!!
thumbs-up.gif

Your past experience with an illegal pyramid scheme is unfortunate but I am gravely insulted that you would paint me and my business with the same brush. I sell quality products and have achieved an Executive Diamond Committee pin level in a very short period of time.

I'm glad I've found a forum where I can meet with other people who are rich. It's nice to meet other people who are cut out of the same cloth!

Shraka

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AmericanWay$
You will earn money based on your pv (point value) and bv (business volume). If you are a talented salesperson you can earn impressive amounts of money without recruiting. HOwever, the faster way to the top is to recruit other individuals to sell AMWAY goods because you receive a rebate from their sales as well. (YOU DO NOT GET MONEY FOR RECRUITING PEOPLE. YOU GET MONEY WHEN PEOPLE YOU HAVE RECRUITED SELL PRODUCTS.)
Don't like the sound of that at all. Just out of curiosity, how many people were working for AMWAY in 2005? How many are there now?

This is based on sales. This line has over $1,000,000,000 in annual sales. The research depertmant had conducted over 4,500 collective years of research developing the ARTISTRYâ„¢ products.
For starters being able to sell bad products to stupid people does not a good product make.

Also, I have no idea where you're getting your numbers from. I have nothing solid but some news reports I've read indicate that the sales figures are somewhat inflated.

And what do you drive?
rimshot.gif

Honda Integra VTiR. I was going to buy a Toyota Supra RZ last year, but while it's old and under powered, I love my little Integra.

I sometimes forget that outsiders are not as fimiliar with how the Alticor families are structured. The two names are synomomous with each other.

AMWAY Business Owners are trained to be straightforward when detailing the business opportunities that AMWAY offers so I feel it is 100% more likely you were targeted by an illegal pyramid scheme.

I must admit it was a while ago, but I distinctly remember finding out that it was AMWAY. I can't provide any evidence because I can't remember the company name (or find it on the internet).

c3cubed

Reaction score
Choosing to be defensive about business opportunities with limitless potential is your AMerican right. I do not understand that decision but you are free to make it all the same.
frown.gif
frown.gif
plain.gif
teacha.gif

I am a legitimate Business Owner. Predatory business practices are not needed because AMWAY's products are competetively priced and preform better than the competition. The excellent service provided by AMWAY Business Owners also gives us an edge!!!
thumbs-up.gif

Your past experience with an illegal pyramid scheme is unfortunate but I am gravely insulted that you would paint me and my business with the same brush. I sell quality products and have achieved an Executive Diamond Committee pin level in a very short period of time.

I'm glad I've found a forum where I can meet with other people who are rich. It's nice to meet other people who are cut out of the same cloth!

You "recruit and sell"?
Therefore, a salesman/pitchman. Nothing wrong with that. But could you manage your business plan successfully without the multi-layered recruiting of others to cream off their profits?
BTW - I'm Canadian and we're just fine up here. While there are a few that may be naive, most aren't. Conservative to a fault as we may be, we have noticed that there are some pretty scary flaws in the American Dream.

Shraka

Reaction score
On the Amway website it claims to have millions of people selling their products world wide, and wiki states that it sold $7.2 billion worth of products globally last year.

If we assume millions means 1 million, then the average sales made by one of your representatives is $7,200 a year.

Technically, to be "millions" it has to be at least 2 million... so thats an average of $3,600 sales per person per year.

How much do these sales people get to keep? If we assume they have a 20% markup (which sounds extremely generous), they're still only earning an average of $620 a year. I earn more than that after tax in just one week!

And that's all using the most generous figures.

The fact that some people make millions makes this a worse proposition for the average seller, pushing their average income down even further.

c3cubed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shraka
Don't like the sound of that at all. Just out of curiosity, how many people were working for AMWAY in 2005? How many are there now?
For starters being able to sell bad products to stupid people does not a good product make.

Also, I have no idea where you're getting your numbers from. I have nothing solid but some news reports I've read indicate that the sales figures are somewhat inflated.

[If true] one billion in gross retail sales for cosmetics is not that much really these days - and their "Artistry" line has an inflated markup. Based on the business practices of most "IBO's" - sadly, most of these products are not actually sold to customers, but consumed by the "Owners" that either in defiance or embarrasment - purchase their own product for personal use, that was originally meant as stock for external retail.

And what do you drive?
rimshot.gif

BTW - I sit on a number of corporate international trade and Chamber of Commerce boards and my company is international. I can up and go anwhere in the world as I please, anytime, with my lovely ladyfriend [and her steamer trunks] in tow on a voyage to the international hinterland.
I regularly drive my 2007 Range Rover SE Turbocharged, but also purchased a 2005 Mercedes Gelandewagen for my staff to do their errands, such as getting ice cream at Baskin Robbins, or picking up coffee at Tim Horton's. I prefer my Rover though, because at the touch of a button, it can raise and lower, so I can drive over cinderblocks in parking lots and make a clean exit.
The summer fun car is a limited release version of an '88 Alfa Romeo Pininfarina Spider Veloce, perfectly maintained with original parts as needed. It costs more to maintain for two months of driving than a year's worth of petrol (at $145 per week) gulped by the Range Rover.

c3cubed

Reaction score
On the Amway website it claims to have millions of people selling their products world wide, and wiki states that it sold $7.2 billion worth of products globally last year.

If we assume millions means 1 million, then the average sales made by one of your representatives is $7,200 a year.

Technically, to be "millions" it has to be at least 2 million... so thats an average of $3,600 sales per person per year.

How much do these sales people get to keep? If we assume they have a 20% markup (which sounds extremely generous), they're still only earning an average of $620 a year. I earn more than that after tax in just one week!

And that's all using the most generous figures.

The fact that some people make millions makes this a worse proposition for the average seller, pushing their average income down even further.

You've done some good groundwork here - well calculated.

I'll add this - Amway/Quixtar products have a very heavily inflated markup at the Wholesale Level - which means those very few at the top, and I mean very few, maybe a couple of hundred of the original founding members in the entire organization - cream the difference.
The inflated wholesale price means their retail price to the unsuspectingly naive is highly exaggerated, to the point that a similar competitive product would be half the price in a regular store. I'm not sure who may pay well over a grand for their water filter, but I think Brita does the same job for a hundred bucks. I believe it's now trendy to just drink [safer] tap water too.

Shraka

Reaction score
BTW - I sit on a number of corporate international trade and Chamber of Commerce boards and my company is international. I can up and go anwhere in the world as I please, anytime, with my lovely ladyfriend [and her steamer trunks] in tow on a voyage to the international hinterland.
I regularly drive my 2007 Range Rover SE Turbocharged, but also purchased a 2005 Mercedes Gelandewagen for my staff to do their errands, such as getting ice cream at Baskin Robbins, or picking up coffee at Tim Horton's.

Wow... can I come work for you?

I prefer my Rover though, because at the touch of a button, it can raise and lower, so I can drive over cinderblocks in parking lots and make a clean exit.
The summer fun car is a limited release version of an '88 Alfa Romeo Pininfarina Spider Veloce, perfectly maintained with original parts as needed. It costs more to maintain for two months of driving than a year's worth of petrol (at $145 per week) gulped by the Range Rover.

I was starting to worry with all that range rover love... but you own an Alfa so you're forgiven.

c3cubed

Reaction score
Wow... can I come work for you?

I was starting to worry with all that range rover love... but you own an Alfa so you're forgiven.

Thanks - The Alfa is my way of "economising" and using less "fossil" fuel to get about, in order to protect the environment and keep the maintenance jockeys in the garage gainfully employed.
It makes me feel very benevolent, like a full-circle contribution to society.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
I will say, the MLM participants here seem to be cut from a less-nutty cloth than those back home. The business climate in Hungary is fairly hostile to entrepreneurship, due mostly to draconian banking laws. Other formerly-communist countries, China, India are generally similar. The MLM options, while producing all the glazed looks and blind loyalty they do in the West, are still often the only chance for locals to strike out on their own in business. It's a shame that some of the more advanced countries' Chambers of Commerce are more focused on easing life for large multinationals, while Amway steps in and floods the market for the average person. With some real business training and coaching, Hungarians could do pretty well.

Shraka

Reaction score
Thanks - The Alfa is my way of "economising" and using less "fossil" fuel to get about, in order to protect the environment and keep the maintenance jockeys in the garage gainfully employed.
It makes me feel very benevolent, like a full-circle contribution to society.

I feel a similar way about my Integra. It's economical, but still a lot of fun to drive.

Much cheaper to maintain than your Alfa though.
biggrin.gif

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Unbelievable.

As soon as I post my reply in here about my hate towards these types of businesses and money only-minded people,

this new guw AmericanWay includes me in his spam PM asking if I want to join in a money-making opportunity to get rich.

This is just my point, these people have nothing else on theri mind but an extra dollar for themselves; they don't mind making a hundred enemies or losing friends as long as statistically they can get one out of every hundred to be duped.
No consideration, no intelligence, no sensibility.

If you just read what I posted here I f you were considerate enough you wouldn't have pmed me with your crap.

c3cubed

Reaction score
I feel a similar way about my Integra. It's economical, but still a lot of fun to drive.

Much cheaper to maintain than your Alfa though.
biggrin.gif

I'm sure your Integra is easier to maintain - one can still get parts locally I think, without begging someone in Italy to troll for genuine and preferably new parts that are absolutely not Fiat aftermarket!

I imagine too, that your car will never ever die. A friend has one, with, I think about 400,000 kms on it. Maybe one of the lucky ones, but jeezus.

c3cubed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoe
Unbelievable.

As soon as I post my reply in here about my hate towards these types of businesses and money only-minded people,

this new guw AmericanWay includes me in his spam PM asking if I want to join in a money-making opportunity to get rich.

Are you saying that this person sent you a private email ?

Oh boy, so he's been hard at work spamming all subscribers that allow access to their email....?

I imagine the new member may not be for long if this is the modus operandi.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

OMG! You are such a huge douchebag! I surely am not alone in being insulted by you hinting that we might be "cut out of the same cloth!" Go shine your alligator shoes somewhere else, SCAMMER!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads