Knife Set

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kmwrestle, Mar 11, 2011.

1. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Oh, if the OP really wants a set, and wants something nice, it seems that the Michel Bras knives at Williams Sonoma are on sale for 950/set(7) down from 3500.

3. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Those are pretty.... and a decent discount.

You wake up on the wrong side of the bed today?

4. otc

otc Senior member

Seriously, I think people have little idea what it means to have good knife skills, and at what level you are actually gaining something from having one of these tools.

When I took a knife skills class, it was perfect.

They had a whole variety of tools to choose from and instructors there to teach you, comment on your form, and suggest other tools.

Sure, the place also wanted you to buy those tools from them but being able to try so many shapes, lengths, and grips was worth a minor bit of veiled sales pitch.

5. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

Well, it has all the ingredients. People with (likely) no skill are able to learn foreign words through the internet to describe tools with snob appeal that they have no idea how to use. Just kidding, kind of. Seriously, I think people have little idea what it means to have good knife skills, and at what level you are actually gaining something from having one of these tools. It always ends in a big swinging dick-off, which is why the internet was invented in the first place, right?

this is why I'm still waiting for Signore Rubinacci to introduce his own knife set.

6. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

The only thing I'm not crazy about with my Shun is that it feels handle heavy, which can make cutting certain veggies awkward. I'd prefer it to be about an inch longer, but I'm guessing these problems are more related to my lack of skill than to any issue with the knife.

7. itsstillmatt

Those are pretty.... and a decent discount. You wake up on the wrong side of the bed today?
    No, this is one of my (many) pet peeves. Actually in a good mood this morning. Thinking of buying myself a brand new knife. [​IMG]

8. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    i think sfield and matty have covered pretty much everything that needs to be said. the one thing i would definitely add (as someone who has a VERY bad knife habit) is that it's absolutely imperitive that you actually pick up the knife and try it before you use it. it's not a matter of "which is best" ... each person has their own body geometry and preferences. i used a bunch of gyutous a couple of years ago ... spent about 6 months with a half-dozen different ones. i really liked the hattori and the misono, but really didn't like teh shuns. sfield is a better cook than i am and he likes them. it's just a matter of how the knife feels to you.
    i also disagree with sfield on macs ... they have a couple of lines, and i found their "commercial" quality line to be a really terrific value ... probably 1/2 the price of misono and delivered probably 80% of the quality. they're the ones i bought my daughter when she set up her kitchen.
    i think the reason the knife threads get so hot and heavy is because it inevitably turns into a kind of kitonbrioni d*ck-measuring competition. some people think that buying a great brand is going to make them a better cook. anyone who has spent any time with a knife knows that 90% of the people would be FAR better served buying a $40 victoronix from a restaurant supply house and then learning how to take care of it and use it. unless you're a really serious cook, anything above that is just for impressing your friends and the warm feeling you get when you look at your block and know that you spent more on your knives than your neighbor spent on his car.
    by the way, after years of loving my misono, I find now that i have migrated back to my 30-year-old wusthoff. we're like an old married couple and my fling is done.

9. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

No, this is one of my (many) pet peeves. Actually in a good mood this morning. Thinking of buying myself a brand new knife. [​IMG]
    I can see you are in a good mood, that's why I asked [​IMG]

10. itsstillmatt

I can see you are in a good mood, that's why I asked [​IMG]
    Well, I'm obsessed with the color white (will be convenient when they finally send me to the padded room,) so I am trying to convince myself not to buy a Nenox Corian. Sfield hates the world and loves his, which makes saying no more difficult.

11. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Chants in the distance....

"Doooo It"
    "Doooo It"

.. getting louder....

"DOOOO ITTT"
    "DOOOO ITTT"

you can't say no to all your adoring fans, can you?

12. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

Well, I'm obsessed with the color white
    This was taken during moving, hence the mess and wires. I present to you the White Room: [​IMG] edit: was editing, dude.

13. itsstillmatt

Fine, the lack of color white.

14. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    nice cado. and is that chair a risom?

15. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

nice cado. and is that chair a risom?

George Nelson for Herman Miller, not Cado. Chair is just some period copycat I think.