• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kitchen Knives

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you don't want it to darken, you have to keep it really dry. Darkening is no matter, though. Wait till tomato season. The acid turns those knives nearly black.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

If you don't want it to darken, you have to keep it really dry. Darkening is no matter, though. Wait till tomato season. The acid turns those knives nearly black.

Darkening doesn't bother me. Rust would, though.
I thought I am keeping the knife pretty dry - I keep a towel on hand and am always rinsing and drying. I suppose the twel gets damp a bit but the knife is always dry when I put it away.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Maybe I am wrong. Black may come from acidity rather than moisture. Rust is bad for the knife, but not a big deal for food.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The coolest patina in my opinion comes from cutting beef. It leaves this patina that turns electric blue when it hits sunlight. To help it set in, I bought a really cheap cut of beef, and sliced it up nice and thin. The knife would look amazing in mgm's kitchen.

Last edited:

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Y'all are ******* lunatics

Renton

Reaction score

i've got a nogent paring knife somewhere and it's pretty good. one of the better sabatier lines. if you're really serious about getting great, utterly impractical knives (like me!), check out this guy:
he's got amazing stuff. i've bought several things from him.

That's a deadly link, thank you

plustwobonus

Reaction score
i need to share this with people who will understand, because all my friends are cheap bastards who don't believe me when I say how much i spent on my kitchen knives...

had an old friend and his gf fly down for the weekend and crash at my place, held a pretty solid party on sat night. ended up grilling/cooking for a couple hours. various people in and out of the kitchen, prepping veggies/meat for the grill, slicing stuff for snacks, basically keeping up an endless stream of grub to soak up the booze. gf and i pass out late, the house is a disaster. i wake up to find my friend's gf tidying the kitchen, dishwasher is already running... and 4 of my globals are missing from the knife strip. had to leave the kitchen without saying a word to her, seriously considered physical violence for a fraction of a second.

anyways, can anyone recommend a good sharpening shop i can mail in to? my knives need some love. alternatively, do the Minosharp sharpeners work well enough to repair damage from a round in the dishwasher?

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cool-story-bro-thumb.jpg

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Being lazy here, I didn't read through the entire thread. Is there a consensus recommendation for a budget set of kitchen knives with decent quality? I just want a basic set: chef knife, veggie, bread, scissors and whatever else. Thanks.

Last edited:

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i need to share this with people who will understand, because all my friends are cheap bastards who don't believe me when I say how much i spent on my kitchen knives... had an old friend and his gf fly down for the weekend and crash at my place, held a pretty solid party on sat night. ended up grilling/cooking for a couple hours. various people in and out of the kitchen, prepping veggies/meat for the grill, slicing stuff for snacks, basically keeping up an endless stream of grub to soak up the booze. gf and i pass out late, the house is a disaster. i wake up to find my friend's gf tidying the kitchen, dishwasher is already running... and 4 of my globals are missing from the knife strip. had to leave the kitchen without saying a word to her, seriously considered physical violence for a fraction of a second. anyways, can anyone recommend a good sharpening shop i can mail in to? my knives need some love. alternatively, do the Minosharp
ir
sharpeners work well enough to repair damage from a round in the dishwasher?
i had a guest take my non-insignificantly-priced Deba (from previous page) to split a coconut because it felt heavy and cleaver-like.

Last edited:

The Thin Man

Reaction score

Being lazy here, I didn't read through the entire thread. Is there a consensus recommendation for a budget set of kitchen knives with decent quality? I just want a basic set: chef knife, veggie, bread, scissors and whatever else. Thanks.

I went through this thread recently seeking an answer to the same question. It seemed that Wusthof was the consensus budget choice.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The pattern seen on Japanese swords was not from the folding process, it was fom the heat treating process. They would cover the spine of the blade in clay during heat treating so that it remained softer then the edge. This would allow the blade some flexibility minimizing breakage in combat.

The pattern arrives during the finishing process since the hardened part of the sword shows the polish differently.

Damascus steel is a combination of two or more steels forge welded to form the billet. The pattern arrives during an acid washing process after the object is shaped.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads