• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kidd Traded to Mavs

landho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jason Kidd and Malik Allen will go to the Mavs in exchange for Devin Harris, Jerry Stackhouse, Desagna Diop, Maurice Ager, Devean George, $3 million cash, and two first-round picks. A side deal has the Nets sending Antoine Wright to Dallas for a second-round pick.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
The Mavs overpaid. Wow.
Understatement of the year. They gave away their starting backcourt for a 34-year-old PG who can't shoot, and a young big, and 2 first rounders? That's a desperation move in response to LA and Phoenix. Devin Harris is 24 and arguably contributes more overall for the time he's on the floor because he's a very efficient scorer from the PG position and is much better defending the quicker opposing PGs (read: Tony Parker, Nash, Deron Williams, Chris Paul, Monte Ellis, at least one of which they're going to see in the playoffs) even if he isn't the passer and rebounder that Kidd is.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
Understatement of the year. They gave away their starting backcourt for a 34-year-old PG who can't shoot, and a young big, and 2 first rounders? That's a desperation move in response to LA and Phoenix.

Devin Harris is 24 and arguably contributes more overall for the time he's on the floor because he's a very efficient scorer from the PG position and is much better defending the quicker opposing PGs, even if he isn't the passer and rebounder that Kidd is.

I just can't believe they did this. It makes no sense whatsoever. Diop and Harris were both up-and-comers. Kidd is a terrible shooter and seems to get crankier and crankier as he gets older. This really baffles me.

landho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
Understatement of the year. They gave away their starting backcourt for a 34-year-old PG who can't shoot, and a young big, and 2 first rounders?

Will comment later, but you may have misread the deal. The Mavs were the ones who gave up two first-rounders.

So, the Mavs get:

--Jason Kidd
--Malik Allen
--Antoine Wright

and the Nets get

--Devin Harris
--Jerry Stackhouse
--Maurice Ager
--Desagna Diop
--Devean George
--$3 million US
--two first-round picks
--one second-round pick

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
I just can't believe they did this. It makes no sense whatsoever. Diop and Harris were both up-and-comers. Kidd is a terrible shooter and seems to get crankier and crankier as he gets older. This really baffles me.

Could it be a cap room kind of thing? I can't believe someone would give up much for Kidd, who is going to get real old real quick.

landho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the Mavs made a good move. Kidd is playing at an extraordinary level still and probably has two good years left in him.

Was clear that Devin Harris was never going to be great. Good, but not great.

Antoine Wright is about equivalent to Stackhouse. Not as good a scorer or as savvy, but longer and more athletic. The main problem is that he's a free agent after this year.

Kidd will make Dirk and especially Josh Howard much better. I predict few chemistry issues--look at how Kidd performed on Team USA.

Losing Diop is actually an issue, as the Mavs also declined to re-sign Mbenga in the offseason. Now they have some depth issues at center, but that can be remedied.

The main this is that the Mavs couldn't simply tread water. They were a very good team, but their best days were behind them, so to speak--their strength relative to the rest of the league was probably highest the last two years. The Mavs were not a team that as it was going to be much better in the upcoming years--Dirk is incredible, Josh Howard is very good, and Harris is good, but that's nothing like Gasol, Odom, Bynum, and Kobe--about equal (I would argue) to Dwight Howard, Rashard Lewis, and Turkoglu in Orlando. And no one's really thinking Orlando's going to win it all.

Kidd makes the Mavs much better.

The Nets also did well because they're garbage, and they get a young point guard and several picks to build on. Finally Rod Thorn decides that the roster simply isn't good enough.

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like this deal. It's a win-now move that reeks of desperation. Why give of Diop (who's ok, but is only 24 or 25) keep Dampier (who still owes me money for knocking Cincinnati out of the final 4 years back) who's a bum, and let go of Harris who is the only person defending in the backcourt for Dallas?

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by landho
Will comment later, but you may have misread the deal. The Mavs were the ones who gave up two first-rounders.

So, the Mavs get:

--Jason Kidd
--Antoine Wright

and the Nets get

--Devin Harris
--Jerry Stackhouse
--Maurice Ager
--Desagna Diop
--$3 million US
--two first-round picks
--one second-round pick

Oh, I read it right, I just typed my thoughts in a confusing manner. If the Nets were giving up the first rounders, it would have been lopsided in the other direction, and I would've patted the Mavs on the back.

landho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that people forget that Kidd is (still) an excellent defender. Also, it's not an ultimate "win-now" situation for Dallas; Kidd has at least two good years left. He's playing at an unbelievably high level right now--one of the top six point guards in the league, and where he is in that group is up for considerable debate (the other five being Nash, Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Baron Davis, and Billups).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads