• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just a quick criticism please (picture heavy)

TheeAmateur

Reaction score
Hello all!

Just made an account here after coming here for tips and I thought I would run this by you guys. I'm going to an outdoor wedding in Oregon and I was hoping for some thoughts on what I have to wear.

I apologize for the quality of the photos! Here is a close up of the shirt and tie.

The pocket square is yellow with a white edge from Kent Wang. I have black shoes and a black belt but I'm thinking of wearing brown wingtips with a brown belt. Does anyone have any criticisms or thoughts on this as an outfit?

Thanks in advance!

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In order to stick with the stronger parts of the outfit you have on (suit/tie), personally I would:
1) Do half-Windsor or 4IH (standard) knot - and get a dimple in there! :D
2) Go plain white pocket square if you can - not sure yellow will work here but it's hard to tell from the pics
3) Go with a shirt that has a more subdued pattern and color, mini gingham maybe, but more likely plain light blue or white
4) Brown shoes and belt makes it a bit less formal/conservative so I'd chose those over black, but either work

Hope that helps a bit!

Last edited:

TheeAmateur

Reaction score
So saying the shirt is the loudest element here, than a more conservative pocket square and a smaller knot will work better?

TheeAmateur

Reaction score
Just an update, the shirt, tie, and suit are sort of locked in. I was able to pick up a pair of dark brown wingtips and an Allen Edmonds belt.

the pocket square was the last issue so its between these two.

and

Not exactly ideal but this is what I have. Quick thoughts?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just an update, the shirt, tie, and suit are sort of locked in. I was able to pick up a pair of dark brown wingtips and an Allen Edmonds belt. the pocket square was the last issue so its between these two. and Not exactly ideal but this is what I have. Quick thoughts?
I like the shoes. Keep them. However, black would be better for the wedding. Second pocket square is a keeper!. I want one. Where did you get it ?

WorldWideWafflz

Reaction score
The shirt is loud but not half bad if the event isn't particularly formal. With that shirt you're more or less set with the brown shoes you've chosen, usually brown, open laced wingtips would be a a no-no at a wedding but again, based on what your other choices and that it's an outdoor wedding it'll be fine. Since you're wearing a suit, closed laced shoes would have been better but if you've already bought them don't hesitate to wear them, nobody will really notice or care at an outdoor event, and you'll should all be drunk anyway! The only real problem piece is the square, the color and how you're wearing it. With the loud shirt, tone the square down. The paisley you showed off is nice but in this case white linen is the clear choice and don't expose so much of it when you do wear it, it should be peaking out, not flourishing or bulging out of your chest like it is in the photos you provided. That's my best advise, if someone more knowledgable wants to weigh in you can defer to their opinion, but I stand by my own thoughts in this case. And tie your tie better, I may be a newbie as well but it's safe to say the massive carbuncle of a knot you tied looks bad. A dimpled four in hand is the way to go here. Especially at a wedding.

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your choices are conservative, acceptable and appropriate ofcourse, however, brighter tie colour options for the tie such as Orange, Burnt Orange, Red or Bright Green, stripes, etc. can pop the grey suit to life. A wedding is, after all, a festive occasion.

Explore complimentary colours with your pocket square.

Welcome to Styleforum TheeAmateur & WorldWideWafflz.

Last edited:

TheeAmateur

Reaction score
Thank you all the advice. The second pocket square is from Kent Wang (which is great, I found out about him through this forum). The tie knot was sloppy but it was just for photo purposes, I'll tie a better knot, no need to worry haha. Unfortunately I got all of this information from you guys a bit late so the tie and paisley square are locked in as well as the brown shoes and belt. Not perfect but it wl work!

Thank you all!

WorldWideWafflz

Reaction score
Your choices are conservative, acceptable and appropriate ofcourse, however, brighter tie colour options for the tie such as Orange, Burnt Orange, Red or Bright Green, stripes, etc. can pop the grey suit to life. A wedding is, after all, a festive occasion.

Explore complimentary colours with your pocket square.

Welcome to Styleforum TheeAmateur & WorldWideWafflz.
Thanks for the welcome. I'm all for color trust me, and it's usually to my detriment which is why I come here to learn: I need to temper my impulses because they're always towards the peacock end of the spectrum. It just strikes me that wearing a particularly loud, stylish outfit to a wedding that's not your own is a little arrogant so I'm really advocating the safe choices. TheeAmateur is already basically locked into his choices anyway, I'm sure he'll look fine even with the paisley square (it's a damn fine square!) because even if it's not classic, anythings better than that yellow with the outfit he has.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll agree he will be perfectly fine. There are always newcomers lurkng so that is why I posted the colours. Saves strokes later. Also, wearing the colours will not upstage the groom because the groom (hopefully) will be wearing a tuxedo and it is ofcourse, a completely different look. Your concerns are perfectly valid though and I agree on principle. It is the Bride and Grooms day to shine. Cheers!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads