• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nsubrmnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So you guys think sale season hurts brands?
I feel like most of us or maybe just me and few other wait for sale season knowing it’s coming.
So we price point pieces at sale price rather then retail…
Just a random thought would love to know your guys opinions.
Sale SZN is definitely bad for the brand. The goal is to make only enough and sell that stock at retail with very minimal hitting sales. Sales dilute a brand’s image and cachet. You don’t ever want to be known as a “discount brand” especially when you’re trying to portray a certain image and exclusivity

jclark216

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sale SZN is definitely bad for the brand. The goal is to make only enough and sell that stock at retail with very minimal hitting sales. Sales dilute a brand’s image and cachet. You don’t ever want to be known as a “discount brand” especially when you’re trying to portray a certain image and exclusivity
Shout out to J Crew ?

MichaelPatrick0

Reaction score
I could not have said it better

frankwhite217

Reaction score
I think sometimes we as the consumer don’t ever think about the things that impact brand’s abilities to produce things. For instance, we are in a global health crisis. Supply chains are impacted for almost every facet of life. The cost to make things has increased and in order to meet margins, prices also need to increase. All in all the cost to make a sweatshirt is not the same in 2021 as it was in 2014 simply because the value of currency is also not the same.

The same goes for shoes, those of us who have been into kicks for awhile, Jordan 1s used to be $80 and sit on the shelves. Now you’re lucky to get a pair at retail for double that price and often times will settle paying resale around $3-400 depending on which pair.

All in all I personally don’t mind the price increases as much because at this point with my wardrobe I have enough basics, I’m more looking for (statement) pieces that pop.
Although you can never have enough hoodies/crews. Especially as it looks like remote working is here to stay for the foreseeable future.

jclark216

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a chance to speak to some students about business in some JE threads lol.

Escobars ain’t dead
L/S Uni

41F7F242-AC03-4221-B574-138948F5D12B.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads