• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

John Barton Shoes! Myth or reality?

Jim Barns

Reaction score
Hello to all fellow Style Forum members. I have a worry I would everybody to help me out with. Growing up I used to own a pair of John Barton shoes which my brother passed down to me and which he got from my father. The show was as you can imagine made of a very nice leather, brown but I later change it to black. that didn't seem to ever worn out. I still the shoe some where in my closet at my parents home and you can still see the name of the shoe well written as John Barton.

My worry is I have searched the internet every where but there do not seem to exist anywhere a shoe with that name. So is it that the shoe is an antique and went out long ago, in fact so long ago that it is not even talked of or sold as second anywhere? Or is it that it never existed and is a fruit of my imagination or a misspelled brand?

Please let me know if you ever heard of the brand in the past and if it's possible to still see a similar pair.

I will post some photos as soon as I get some.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You must have misspelled the brand name. I've had a really good look for you and I can't find anything under barton and I've tried a few different permutations...

shoefan

Reaction score
I would guess they were a private label shoe made for a shoe store or men's store of that name. However, many decades ago there were literally dozens, if not hundreds, of shoe manufacturers, virtually all of which are now defunct, so it could have been one of these.

Shots of the inside labeling would be the best bet, but even then probably little likelihood of providing much insight.

Hans Cater

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MalfordOfLondon
You must have misspelled the brand name. I've had a really good look for you and I can't find anything under barton and I've tried a few different permutations...

I couldn't find anything either that matched that brand name. So maybe you should better post a picture so that we can take a look and just like one poster explained, maybe they are defunct, and have been for a time. Because there seem to be no trace of such brand on the internet.

Ragnar

Reaction score
Order
treeMiddleConnector.gif

treeDocument.gif

GAZ2(A)​
03/02/2004​
FINAL GAZETTE: DISSOLVED VIA VOLUNTARY STRIKE-OFF
Seems as the company doesn't exist anymore, was also looking for them :-(
looking for shoes, Johnston & Murphy don't do the good and nice looking "flatfoot" variety anymore. Their shoes are now mostly made outside the US, and are narrower.

Ragnar
(Sweden)

FarleyNY

Reaction score
I say reality, but add probably a defunct reality.

I just returned from a thrift shop with an unworn pair of very high-quality shoes labeled "John Barton's." I Googled, and was led to this Styleforum page. The shoes are traditional cap-toe brown lace-ups with a slightly square toe, in the English aesthetic.
On the inside and on the bottom they are stamped, "John Barton's/Since 1923/cousu" (I believe cousu is the French word for "handstitched" or "handmade." There is also a crest in both places with two lions flanking a oval enclosing a castle and a pyramid.

Eben Jacob

Reaction score
I HAVE ACTUALLY LOOKED FOR A PAIR MYSELF AND CAN'T FIND. IT IS A SHOE I WORE ABOUT 9 YEARS AGO. THERE ARE OTHER JOHN BRANDS I CAN'T FIND ANY MORE.

paulpurepoint

Reaction score
I have a pair of black John Barton Shoes. They say "John Barton Since 1923" - the style is "Coush".

They are in excellent condition for their age and are size 9.5. The size is scratched in on the bottom of the shoe. I can take some pictures if you're interested, let me know.

Thanks

-Pauly

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads